birdsall 30

hi,

anyone had any experience with these yachts? going to have a look at one next week - looks like a nice little yacht in the pictures - quite good volume for the size, nice lines. read the article in the boating mag last month - perked up my interest a bit - any other experiences out there??

cheers

D

Gulf 30, An excellent boat, they sail well on all points of sail, But their main advantage is also a weakness, they are lightly built and can be prone to movement around the keel / hull joint. They were built for the Gulf and not Stewart Island though. They are getting on in years so how she has been maintained will have a large bearing whether she is worth buying or not.

We had one in our family for many years, great boat , did everything well for its size and age. Birdsall always did design fast hulls but the cabins often look like an afterthought. I think the article might have mentioned that .

The kauri was still good as you'd expect... I think by about then it was restricted felling/use for boatbuilding only.

Personally, I think the cold moulded kauri boats from that period in NZ boatbuilding are amongst the finest boats in the world. The materials and skills were and still are right up there.

edit, And I agree with Steve.

We've got a Birdsall 37, sister ship / same design as Rhubarb mentioned in the Boating Article. I have no experince with the Gulf 30 but rate Birdsall's (our one) very highly for balance / handling and general sea keeping ability. You have to try very hard to get ours to broach... Beu knew how to make a well balanced boat, and yes cabins where some sort of after thought typically...

I was at Rubarbs launching and did a few miles on Burzurka (spelling warning), which was a 35ish from memory and was living at Weiti at the time.

The old man build a Gulf 30, which I can't remember what's she's called these days. She was a goodie and went damn well. Good space for a 30fter as well.

The old mans one should be sweet and rot free. When just hull and decks he and a mate chucked in a few buckets of Everdure then got in with mops and was chucking it everywhere. Mum got very concerned when they werer laughting a little too much and wouldn't come out, then started singing 'Rain Drops keep Falling on my Head'. Me and Dads mate son had to go in and drag them out, they were totally off their knuts with the fumes :) :)

We've got a Birdsall 37, sister ship / same design as Rhubarb mentioned in the Boating Article. I have no experince with the Gulf 30 but rate Birdsall's (our one) very highly for balance / handling and general sea keeping ability. You have to try very hard to get ours to broach... Beu knew how to make a well balanced boat, and yes cabins where some sort of after thought typically...

headsail halyards dont seem to hold up too well on these birdsall boats....

headsail halyards dont seem to hold up too well on these birdsall boats....

Yeah and the spinnaker poles have a habit of scaring the sh*t out of cocky young bowmen :lol: :lol:

Everyone else could end for end it :lol:

I know of a Birdsall 37 with a gennaker embedded in the forestay! :lol:

Had, AA, Had, as in past tense, the gennaker isn't there anymore :D :D

Remarkably JH had nothing to do with that incident...

And, you know, we would have been all over you and the 8 legged one if it weren't for that one little... errr... clusterf*ck

I know of a Birdsall 37 with a gennaker embedded in the forestay! :lol:

Had, AA, Had, as in past tense, the gennaker isn't there anymore :D :D

Remarkably JH had nothing to do with that incident...

And, you know, we would have been all over you and the 8 legged one if it weren't for that one little... errr... clusterf*ck

Nah, sorry Fish I don't know it! But I like your positive attitude :thumbup:

The kauri was still good as you'd expect... I think by about then it was restricted felling/use for boatbuilding only.

Personally, I think the cold moulded kauri boats from that period in NZ boatbuilding are amongst the finest boats in the world. The materials and skills were and still are right up there.

Yeah - I reckon boats constructed that way are hard to beat

We have had our Regardless 9 years now

Archived