Quarter Tonner Interest

looks like a few better results last night, they are using the same boat next week for Cowes so that will be interesting to see how they get on there.

I noticed the boat the used last year at Cowes (Diamond) was a bit further up the leader-board, we will have to wait until Twitchy gives us the low down....or excuses :lol:

Guest Dry Reach
pardon the spelling..... :crazy:

As a 1/4 ton newbie is there anything in IRC that would make a prod undesirable? Racing in AKL harbour the benefits should be quite enticing?

Is that a whiting 1/4 tonner in your avatar? and which one?

And to all the 1/4 ton owners...when will the 1/4 ton South pacifics / world qualifiers for next year begin?

that would be a cheap world champs to get into.? MAybe hold the worlds here?... why not?

dry reach...its a whiting....its called infiltrator...its painted dark blue

regards to prods no idea with the rating but when i looked at infiltrator it looked like it could do with a prod to lift the bow on a hard 130-140 TWA run with a mh gennie up.

in the real fresh stuff with a big bag up do you need to stand on the boarding platform/scoop on the back?

Guest Dry Reach

What was it original name.

as for the prod. well? suck it and see. you can always take it of when required.

Ah some of those pics of broachs remind me of the day i tried escaping off the Smokey Joe.

and that time we put the rig in the piss in last years piedy nats...

yip, it's a Whiting called Infiltrator. We bust it duing the Up to 26 regatta and have just had it repaired. Would love to have the hull repainted black, but run outa cash. Have a new main and headsail coming and with a clean bum and nearly new rudder keen to see what she is like.

Haven't had to stand on the scoop downwind yet, but with the hull shape, I thought a prod and genny would be a good addition.

As a 1/4 ton newbie is there anything in IRC that would make a prod undesirable? Racing in AKL harbour the benefits should be quite enticing?

Is that a whiting 1/4 tonner in your avatar? and which one?

And to all the 1/4 ton owners...when will the 1/4 ton South pacifics / world qualifiers for next year begin?

that would be a cheap world champs to get into.? MAybe hold the worlds here?... why not?

Black Fun will be keen, as long as it is being raced under IRC as it is done internationally now days

Might be good for your Harbour courses no good for any 1/4 tonner class racing, I doubt it would be quick for any W/L courses, it will also hurt your IRC rating (guessing here) with out adding any real performance

A few of the 727s are keen to get involved in some 1/4 ton racing. Not sure how a stock 727 would go under IRC rating.

Perhaps we should get a few people together over a Rum & start making some plans for a NZ QT cup?

A few of the 727s are keen to get involved in some 1/4 ton racing. Not sure how a stock 727 would go under IRC rating.

I think it is only $20 for a trial cert? Cost more for a real one, whoever is the IRC measurer in Auckland will be able to tell you or you can always email the IRC office and ask if they have done one for a stock 727

Perhaps we should get a few people together over a Rum & start making some plans for a NZ QT cup?

Same time as BOI week? where is the old NZ 1/4 ton cup anyway?

Great idea.

One question - the reason the old ton classes were so successful was that they were level racing - 1st over the line is the winner. Why not simply choose an IRC number that's applicable and do the same - handicap racing will never be as good.

Great idea.

One question - the reason the old ton classes were so successful was that they were level racing - 1st over the line is the winner. Why not simply choose an IRC number that's applicable and do the same - handicap racing will never be as good.

Understood, that is how it is done for all of the 1/4 ton racing in Europe though, as it covers such a large date range of boats I doubt you would be ever able to make it even, every dog has its day in handicap racing!

Blackfun is being setup for IRC and is planning on also going to Europe to win the 1/4 ton cup it should have 30 years ago! so will be playing by the rules as they are now what is class racing but done on IRC handicaps

Archived