Old shitters

And Farr boats

But its the only Rating system we now have, and then only just

Where has the edit button gone

Farr 1020

Farr 1020

Farr 1020

Farr 1020

and the odd squillion dollar 100 footer...

IRC in NZ is dominated by brand new purpose built designs with professional crew and more sails than a sail loft, or Farr 1020's....

But if you want a single number boat only (i.e. not performance handicap) its your only option, just be ready to re mortage your house for new sails to be competitive...

Didn't a Stewart win the Nats, then have to retire on a technicality a few years ago?

Not insinuating they are shitter, just old.

Why would you bother :?: No one to race against in NZ.

Sad day when an old clunker can win the NZ IRC Nationals. Try doing that in Aussie. :oops:

Fu#k all.

Run by ignorant poms for ignorant poms.

In an attempt to keep old cruising shitters competitive they penalize improvement such as square tops, water balast, prods, canting keels so much that with these improvements you just can't be competitive. So you have the option to spend money to slow your boat down or go for line, and to most kiwi sailors that's a no brainer.

And the ignorant prick Mike ? from pomgolia openly has the attitude "well, we dont want and the rule isn't really for those types of boats anyway"

One design and box rules produce good racing, all else is generally rubbish.

IRC died years ago, most in nz have realized it.

Oh, it's that good is it :?

More liking the displacement types then.

I was wondering if during my retweak there was anything I could tweak to suit that system at the same time. Doesn't sound like there is much and still stay a Pedigree.

Try a Chico 30

If your meaning the last noumea race isn't that more about the smallest boat winning a slow race?

Fair point on the stewart and nationals, but would it have beaten the farr 1020 if it had life lines to foul its massive overlapper?

Oh, it's that good is it :?

More liking the displacement types then.

I was wondering if during my retweak there was anything I could tweak to suit that system at the same time. Doesn't sound like there is much and still stay a Pedigree.

You might not do too bad KM, IRC favours small headsails :lol: :lol:

Sorry, jokes aside, IRC breads behavouir to try and slow your boat in favour of a good handicap. I.e. IRC doesn't like large J's, so most guys rate with a #2 and just kiss their arse good bye when its light (and need a #1)

IRC hammers gennakers AND spinnakers, so you can have an optimised boat that can't sail straight downwind (gennaker only) or miss out on all the fun reaching and go for spinnakers only, dah, no sene in having sails to suit all the wind angles...

Come to think about it, I'd be interested in how the Reptiles rates on IRC, should get points for age (design date) cruiser race (fitted out cabin) and, at the risk of attracting someones rath, moderate-ish displacement ratios etc

Any other R930's dropped the coin to find out? where is the data lord when you need him?

As IRC hammers having S and A or/and both types of sails. Has any of the designers done the numbers on ditching both and only running big head sails? The purpose built rum racer could be the answer to IRC.

Airship had an IRC certain about 3 years ago.

Class trim except for jumpers. Largest kite 55sqm.

Rating was .981

Mike Urwin reckoned I should lose the jumpers and second spreaders and runners - penalty for a tweakable rig - and sail better!

IRC favors an all round design so if you have an off the wind planing boat you're screwed. Problem is a lot of the older NZ designs us poor folk sail don't fit the IRC mold and also the NZ psyche is to hotrod the boat to fang it to the line first.

Not sure it's about slowing your boat down. Rather it is about being able to sail the boat to it's rating. So optimizing is about making changes that give you marginally more performance than penalty in the conditions you normally sail in - that's why a 1020 optimized for Wellington gets screwed in Auckland.

Knot Me.

Do you get paid to instigate this type of topic. :crazy:

Didn't know it was an option. How much and where do I sign up?

You might not do too bad KM, IRC favours small headsails :lol: :lol:
It's knot always the size as it is how you use it ;)

KM,

Don't bother with a 930, they rate circa 980 unmodified, ie, with non overlapping headsails and frac kites. You could almost certainly improve the performance by updating the keel and rudder design without changing any declared measurement but you're simply making a uncompetitive IRC design less uncompetitive, you'd still be giving 1020s 0.02 or more and 88s 0.03 or so. At the same time you're losing your R930A (ancient) status but would be limiting yourself against the 930MC (modern classic) fleet.

As DrBob has said, 980 or there abouts for a 930A, the tweaked ones have been rated to about 1.05 though I'd guess the newest generation of tweaked boats would go over that.

Then again, you've always claimed the R930A is a family cruiser and it clearly states in the IRC blurbal that it's primarily for family cruisers with the occasional predilection to race. On that basis, we can only assume the 930s not beating up the 1020s and 88s have sub-optimal crews, at least compared with those 88s and 1020s?

Oddly enough, whilst it's rating between styles of boats leaves much to be desired, it doesn't do too bad a job of rating boats within a style, even for styles it doesn't like, eg, LD boats under 10m. If you look styles completely alien to the rule like a sports boat, the relative difference between say a Melges 24 and a T750 isn't too far off the mark. It's when you go between styles that things go astray and of course when a design starts to push the extreme edges of a given style.

One or two, mainly RP, have tried to beat the rule with raw speed. There was a few RP45s a few years back and a 40 designed for S2H went in part a similar route I think. Have only been partially successful, could be competitive but needed extremely good crews and/or favourable weather.

Not that I've tested it out, but an observation on IRC is that it seems to rate boats based on their preferred conditions and again doesn't do a bad job if that boat sails in those conditions. Now if all our racing was in 20kts broad reaching it would be pretty much ideal. Even Pork Chop who would have scored a 4th in last years CC would be buying Bulls mate Mike a few beers and telling him what a good job he was doing.

Here's an excerpt from a previous IRC post from Markm

930's :

Ballistic Ross 930(m) 1.030

Testarossa Ross 930(m) 1.005

Splash Palace Ross 930(m) 1.001

Wasted Away Ross 930 .986

Airship Ross 930 .983

The Entertainer Ross 930 .975

That rating didn't include the jibtop for Ballistic which would have made it off the planet. When compared to Farr 1020's or 38's these differences didn't show in the real world of variable wind and sea scenarios.

After Midnight (Ross 830) got an IRC cert a few years ago. It went straight in the bin, as we too gave time to the 1020's.

The Pom apparently sails a scow, but didn't disclose the IRC rating for it at the meeting at RPNYC. :D

Archived