Waterproofing a boom tent

crocodile

Had a boom tent made a couple of years back but have not used it in the rain before. Anyway it leaks, as in converts large raindrops one one side to very small drops on the other side! Made of a thickish nylon that I thought was waterproof but apparently not. Can anyone advise if there is something I can paint on to seal it?

There may be something better around but used to use this on the tents...

http://www.selleys.com.au/home-cleaning ... atershield

Listen to Marshy, Ottos on the piss and into his heavy breathing again the looks :lol:

I used that selleys watersheild on a cover we use over the companionway hatch, a Ross boat so it leaks, and it works very well. I did spray it well then let it dry then sprayed it again. Knot sure if it's a super long term thing but then that is sitting in the weather all the time the boat isn't in use. But on a boom cover it should last very well I would expect. It's cheap enuff so a couple of cans and you'd be all go I think.

Actually Otto did tell me about some fancy waterproofing stuff I think he used on his wet gear, to stop water getting in of his occasional dribble getting out, knot sure which ;) but that stuff sounded rather flash and a step above the Selleys... at a guess. I wonder if he can but that rum down long enough to remember what it was??

Small drops, nylon Condensation is a possibility before you go spending money.

Especially if it was used with people underneath, low and not much air movement.

KM :evil: , new bike, back yard now cleared, i'm on the way round with that rum for some time trials.

Your on pepe

Save the wife from mowing the lawn.

This is the stuff i use, http://www.grangers.co.uk/

Excellent on wetweather gear but i'm sure you'll get something at a better price for a boom tent

KM :evil: , new bike, back yard now cleared, i'm on the way round with that rum for some time trials.

That was the 1st thing I was warned to keep off ;)

Gourocks do a waterproofing material. Don't know much about it but it's probably worth a suss. They are out Avondale way somewhere, thinking Partiki Rd.

I used a product called stormguard made in the Uk, great for Wet Weather gear also I used on my dodger as well (no leaks..now) bought from HAmmer Hardware Howick (non silicone base) awesome stuff

I recall a product called 'Dubbin' (I think that's how it was spelt). It was brilliant for wet weather gear, especially leather boots. It had a beeswax base. Not sure if it's still available.....?

I recall a product called 'Dubbin' (I think that's how it was spelt). It was brilliant for wet weather gear, especially leather boots. It had a beeswax base. Not sure if it's still available.....?

Yeap still available quite easily. Knot sure I'd use it on the newer textile wet gear though. Sure you aren't thinking it's good on the old oilskin stuff?

It's primarily for leather I think.

Errrr, yeah you would turn the material into something looking more like an oil skin. Excellent for Leather boots and shoes as KM said.

Oh by the way, the inventer of the oilskin was none other than Cpt Hally Hansen himself. Back in I think it was 1855 or 65 or 75 hmmm, Fossil might remember, he was sick of his Foul weather gear leaking and poured Fish oil all over it. Apart from smeeling really bad, he was as dry as a bone. In 1877, he and his wife started a business of making Oilskins. But they used Linseed oil instead, making it much more favorable for those wearing it, working alongside other crew.

Errrr, yeah you would turn the material into something looking more like an oil skin. Excellent for Leather boots and shoes as KM said.

Oh by the way, the inventer of the oilskin was none other than Cpt Hally Hansen himself. Back in I think it was 1855 or 65 or 75 hmmm, Fossil might remember, he was sick of his Foul weather gear leaking and poured Fish oil all over it. Apart from smeeling really bad, he was as dry as a bone. In 1877, he and his wife started a business of making Oilskins. But they used Linseed oil instead, making it much more favorable for those wearing it, working alongside other crew.

Nope. Its been worn (and refered to as oilskin) in Aus since the early 1800's if my memory is correct, Ed or Harry Leroy (i forget which) invented it. I think they used old canvas sails as the source fabric and treated it with some kind of oil, strangely enough

Helly Hansens marketing dept, like alot of marketing depts are either selectively forgetful or creative with the truth

If you want to test a bit of dubbin I have about a kilo of it - the stuff I have is fantastic with leather - not sure how good it would be on fabric though

Back to Crocs boom cover. I took the opportunity to order some supposedly flash waterproofing stuff from the US today. Sounds like the bees knees of waterproofing made especially for sunshades i.e. land based boom tents.

I'm gonna try it on my yet again gone knot so waterproof 2yo Musto that has already had a Selleys waterproofing treatment :( Apparently it should be the ducks knuts on that as well.

I'll have a play and let you know how it goes. If all is well it was a massive $20 odd for 500mls so pretty cheap I thought. I have a small cover over my companion way I'll whack some on fast and as that's in the sun/weather 24/7 we'll know pretty quick how good it is.

Are you sure that is caused by leak or probably the water just sipping through the materials to pour on the inside? If it is a leak, then you could get any silicone water shield and apply it to the part where it is leaking. You should take note though that there is a possibility that it would add weight and some thickness to it.

Probably get a new set if it is caused otherwise.

Archived