8.5 top speed?

Yes, the rig is taller, and more sail, and I guess if I reefed, I may well get to those speeds in high wind without pressing in the leeward hull, but I never seem to think it's a good idea to reef, or not enough wind yet.

Hmm, makes ya think, huh, :problem: :problem: :problem:

sounds to me like his other issue is the leeward hull pressing in too much as well.

John - you should get TimW to make you a new set of floats while you're at it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

and then leave the main hull at home? I am beginning to think that the "More Power" theory is fake. Look at the deeds - Quick withoug rediculous amounts of sail area...

Yes, the rig is taller, and more sail, and I guess if I reefed, I may well get to those speeds in high wind

without pressing in the leeward hull, but I never seem to think it's a good idea to reef, or not enough wind yet.

Hmm, makes ya think, huh, :problem: :problem: :problem:

Over its 25 year life-span my boat has got 1 m extra mast. Sails have gone from Dacron old style roach to carbon and

square-top. Top-speed-wise the boat is no faster but average speed and going to windward...

My best top-speed ever happened back in 1989 or 1990: Delivery trip up the coast, cold front coming through with

squall-lines, two reefs in the (Dacron) main and storm jib so low centre of effort. Speed? Speedo showed 20+

something but I don't know for real. It would have been really fun to have a GPS-track-log of that trip or the average

speed after we ducked the first squall-line by sailing in the wrong direction.

Best speed in later years is properly recorded though (not me helming):

http://www.youtube.com/user/N59E18#p/a/u/1/kHcKCrP4Jls

/Martin

We have had the thing up to 27 a few times once down the harbour with a reef in the main and jib flat water. One time in the coastle with reef in and the fractional reacher up again flat water in by the land, I will find the gps and put some pictures up.

Akarana sits above 20 knots , coastal a few years ago she didnot drop below 20 from sail rock to cape bret,great ride.Best gps 24.3 knts, full main 3/4 kite.

Ooops! sorry. I did not realise this was a sensitive topic. I just wanted to see how the 8.5 compares to my poor 7.5m cat since i can only compare to monohulls around where i sail.

Archived