8.5 top speed?

ha ha!

64knots = 120km/h -first 8.5 to get a speeding ticket

i think the boat has to be in the water without motorised propulsion to count!

whio's done 21.8 twice -I think deeds and hooters have been up around 26

Rental has been towed comfortably at 21kts, it didn't seem like terminal velocity. No idea how fast we have sailed, no speedo but imagine its on or near 20kts.

The GDT seemed to have a terminal velocity just below 20kts (GPS speed), we tried hard but never broke 20.

Russell and Skinner did 27 point something on U2 in a 2 handed race about 5 years ago coming back from Flat Rock in a 25 knot Northerly with big waves.

On Attitude we got 23.2 with skinner... In the Tauranga race a couple of yaears ago.

From what I have seen that is really about all you will get without risking too much..

In the coastal a couple of years ago on Attitude we were the first 8.5 up there in 8hrs our top speed was only 21.8 on the GPS, The Deeds were inside us at one point off Omaha when we were doing 19ish they looked quite a bit quicker at times and Claimed to have seen 27 at that point...

I think we have not yet seen 25 on Charleston (she is also 8.5m long) but I am sure with a bigger budget and larger balls 30 knots could be achieved on her. At this stage Cruising around at early 20's is still quite fun.

GPS track (with some averaging) I have had voom up to 22 (0dp, so could have been as low as 21.5).

That was 2 sailing in a rum race with 2 non sailors aboard. But with the tide.

Paula has driven her up to 18.9 against the tide which i was damn impressed with (and a little scared of..)

Both in flat water in the harbour.

18 seems easy on voom, 20 achievable, but anything more seems like it would take a lot of work and bigger balls than I have.

Max GPS I have had on Tigre was 22.8. Bob had 24.5 on the GPS previously back in 05.

Had a really good run of constant 20 on the last SSANZ race behind Motutapu. :D

The GDT seemed to have a terminal velocity just below 20kts (GPS speed), we tried hard but never broke 20.

We broke the 20knot barrier once... BMW a few years ago before snapping the rudder gudgeon at terminal velocity and almost plowing into the back of the Jagged Edge with Big greeny up... Scarey stuff :crazy:

We broke the 20knot barrier once... BMW a few years ago before snapping the rudder gudgeon at terminal velocity and almost plowing into the back of the Jagged Edge with Big greeny up... Scarey stuff :crazy:

I dont believe you Marshy.

Sam told me he never broke the 20kt barrier and day this video was taken we had my fractional gennaker of the jagged (perfect fit) and 1 reef in the main, sending it HARD, so hard that the water pressure actually broke off his outboard bracket(with the outboard up...) and we lost the whole lot. Almost went over the front twice (one of them is at about 3:10 into the vid). We only recorded 19.8 i think.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BooBooNZ#p/u/5/jc2HGfIAAz4

Yeah it had a brick wall it used to hit. Not sure how much i believe the 20knots got hit either, It was just what his Watch GPS Thing said, Might have been other influences too

Probably more likely to hit a Topspeed with a Code 0 rather then a gennaker,

certainly Timberwolf is comfortably 5 knots faster with a Code 0 on.

I presume this is because the extra lift from the gennaker (and extra fullness) is also extra drag.

We hit 26kn in Grandmaster Flash waaay back at the start of a Balokovic about 1991 with Frac Gennaker. We thought we were so cool but Split Enz was making us look silly as was Afterburner. For the record the green gennaker was made by Wal and I'd borrowed it off the Gorilla Biscuits.

And about 2 min later we popped the rudders apart They were a 2 piece mould with aluminium stock. They couldn't cope.

Russell and Skinner did 27 point something on U2 in a 2 handed race about 5 years ago coming back from Flat Rock in a 25 knot Northerly with big waves.

yeah.... they also won the "talk it up cup" from memory ..... ;)

Yeah it had a brick wall it used to hit. Not sure how much i believe the 20knots got hit either, It was just what his Watch GPS Thing said, Might have been other influences too

not wanting facts to get in the way of a good argument....

from my GPS after the BMW Regatta Marshy mentioned...

5 bests' average = 33.13km/h [17.89Knots]

Best Speed n°1 = 38.34km/h [20.7Knots] (106.5 meters in 10.0 sec.)

Best Speed n°2 = 32.66km/h [17.64Knots] (90.7 meters in 10.0 sec.)

Best Speed n°3 = 31.96km/h [17.26Knots] (88.8 meters in 10.0 sec.)

Best Speed n°4 = 31.4km/h [16.95Knots] (87.2 meters in 10.0 sec.)

Best Speed n°5 = 31.29km/h [16.9Knots] (86.9 meters in 10.0 sec.)

Best Speed n°6 = 30.52km/h [16.48Knots] (84.8 meters in 10.0 sec.)

Best Speed n°7 = 30.26km/h [16.34Knots] (84.1 meters in 10.0 sec.)

Best Speed n°8 = 30.22km/h [16.32Knots] (84.0 meters in 10.0 sec.)

Best Speed n°9 = 30.17km/h [16.29Knots] (83.8 meters in 10.0 sec.)

Best Speed n°10 = 30.1km/h [16.25Knots] (83.6 meters in 10.0 sec.)

5 best 5 second (at least) average = 33.13km/h [17.89Knots]

5 second run n°1 = 38.34km/h [20.7Knots] (106.5 m. in 10.0 s.)

5 second run n°2 = 32.66km/h [17.64Knots] (90.7 m. in 10.0 s.)

5 second run n°3 = 31.96km/h [17.26Knots] (88.8 m. in 10.0 s.)

5 second run n°4 = 31.4km/h [16.95Knots] (87.2 m. in 10.0 s.)

5 second run n°5 = 31.29km/h [16.9Knots] (86.9 m. in 10.0 s.)

I never cracked 20 knots with Josh on board, only cracked 20 on the GPS two times, once in big waves of Whangarei heads sailing to BOI and in the BMW before rudder case self destructed. both times could have been with a knot of tide so maybe we never did. who knows. A lot of people wouldn't believe she would even do 18 knots!

Fastest we have recorded in Lucifer is 23.4 knots

I went out once in 25 to 30 knots SW off Eastern beach once, the seas were really flat and I reached back and forth, just with main and jib (old setup) and was constantly sitting on 18s for up to 10 to 15s at a time. When I got home I saw max speed was 22.3 knots. I never saw it at the time (must have been one of those 'uh oh, What do I do now' times) so can not be 100% sure, could have been an alignment of satellites or something.

The boat was really light, (just me) and I could pick my angles for speed.

Funny thing, seems I can't do it now with the new rig :wtf:

Archived