ETNZ SL33

Just saw the SL33 at ETNZ, The design guys (in jeans not sailing gear) were out being towed around by the chase boat. I think they were getting the curved foils sorted etc. I did not see any sails onboard.

Looks real, real good... Masive rig and looks very light.. My first impression is that it will be insanely fast downwind but does not look to have very much righting moment (narrow and light). Maybe they will go for little racks or trapezoids. :thumbup:

Righting Moment, the boat weighs 600 kg, and with 5 crew at 420 KG, a very high % of the boats righting moment is in the crew.

I expect in Auckland their 1x reef point is going to be well used.

Its going to thrash everything currently in Auckland in the Light

Well by my calculation if the boat is only 600kgs it has less RM then we do on Charleston.. and a sh*%t load more rag... cool..

Racks are still to come, plus they can sail it with 6 people.

RM is only 23% less than TWolf, but has over 50% MORE SAIL AREA

The TNZ one is the Ocean version.

the Lake version has a 2m taller rig, a 500mm longer boom, a bigger fore triangle, and a longer prod.

we are all doing something very wrong if these things can actually sail in 10-12 knots !

Just saw them out off north shore... smoking down wind as expected.. long way back from Tiri upwind.

Pretty cool Multi things happening round here at the moment.

Yer Tim I cant wait to see your new 20m rig. Look about right ahe?

must of been the one i didnt recognise out going past castor bay this afternoon.... was quick upwind.

also saw right over the side this morning ETNZ volvo boat testing i presume...

does anyone know why ETNZ bought 2 x SL33 when they have a AC45?

Surely another 1 or 2 AC45s would have been better?

Only thing I can think of its actually closer to the AC72 in terms of the beams etc? Or is it just heaps cheaper? even if its cheaper they will have to build a wing to get meaningful training/testing?

i heard a rumour it was for foil testing, and they can't do that easily with an AC45? But dunno where I heard that, and dunno if true. Might have read it on the net actaully (so it must be true)

Here's the big question.

ETNZ were a powerful force in monoslugs, has the change to wing sailed cats been a light/moderate/heavy blow to their chances?

Think the rules on what the boats can be used for is quite limiting and they arent allowed to sail them after a certain date etc? And they arent allowed two of them to test against each other. Pluss they arent allowed to test in any other catamarans over 10 metres by the sounds of things so the 33's seem to be a good fit for testing.

Not sure how the Extreme 40 sneaks through this rule though?

Can anyone tell me what the numbers across the rear beam are all about. The crew can't see them cause they are presumably forward of the rear of the beam, so ??? :wtf:

timb

Can anyone tell me what the numbers across the rear beam are all about. The crew can't see them cause they are presumably forward of the rear of the beam,

Dixie got confused. :D

They are on the front as well. But I guess the ones on the back help give a reference for main sail set up from off the boat to a coach boat or the other SL33. They are test boats, if you are testing foils for example you want the rest of the set up as close to identical as possible, these will be the most photographed/filmed boats in the harbor over the next year and that’s just by etnz

Here's the big question.

ETNZ were a powerful force in monoslugs, has the change to wing sailed cats been a light/moderate/heavy blow to their chances?

How many AC teams do have experience racing 72ft cats? Given enough time I think ETNZ can figure out how to sail the pants of anything but then so can Oracle.

Racing the AC45s will be exciting to watch but I think the 72s will be all about the ability of the design team to produce a fast boat that doesn't break. ETNZ have had Guillaume Verdier and his VPLP designer buddies on the payroll for almost a year. I'm sure they will have a very good 72fter once the real AC rolls around so I think they stand a pretty good chance!

Archived