Beat Bear Gryllis - Man vs Wild

Just make sure you stagger it a little bit KM so it doesnt look like you are spamming. And by IP address i mean seperate Internet Connections (Public IP's) not 4 computers at work with different Internal IP addresses as they go out on the same connection :lol: :lol:

looks like its working guys, thanks indeed.

Still on the 1st page, a couple of days to go.

Squid- really, you must stay in more....try prime 7.30pm Weds

Voted from a few different IP addresses at work throughout today, that could boost things up a little bit :-D

I did think about that, but I have access to thousands of (public) IP addresses - could be there a while...

looks like its working guys, thanks indeed.

Still on the 1st page, a couple of days to go.

Squid- really, you must stay in more....try prime 7.30pm Weds

Can't get Prime, I have tv2 and tv3, tv 1 till about midday and the local video shop.

Bear is also Ex British Army, Special Forces, SAS, survival instructor and Patrol Medic and honorary rank of Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Naval Reserve.

When he climbed Everest, he did so after he had nearly been paralysed or maybe even killed in a Parachute accident, where he smashed his back. It took 18mths to get well again and then climbed everest.

OKay sorry guys - bubble burst time. Just had a meeting this morning with the kiwi crew who set up his "adventure" here recently - of the supposed 7 nights in the outdoors only 2 were actually in a tent - rest of the time a hotel called loudly.

Likewise they were telling me every "stunt" is pre set by a test crew ahead of him and has screeds of legal paperwork in place ahead of the "stunt".

They say he is a tough nut who could proably do everything you see on tv but smoke and mirrors are in use big time as well.

you'd be pretty naieve to think that it was all real, but regardless of where he spends the night, he DOES eat some crazy stuff, and has some pretty amazing survival skills. And the fact there is screeds of paperwork suggest only that the stuff IS dangerous.

It's amazing that as we all become more comfortable and cossetted in our lives we take greater interest in watching survival skills for being in the wild. Realistically, how many viewers will ever need to know this stuff for real, it's 99% fantasy-land.

But it is compelling viewing although I had also heard that many of the 'stunts' are highly orchestrated and many wild nights are spent in a local hotel with the camera crew.

"But it is compelling viewing although I had also heard that many of the 'stunts' are highly orchestrated and many wild nights are spent in a local hotel with the camera crew."

Sounds like an ideal day out yotting......

I had often wondered if everything was pre checked out etc. I have seen on several occasions, Bear jumping over some drop into water that he had ot checked out first. And he should know better than anyone to check water before you leap.

It's amazing that as we all become more comfortable and cossetted in our lives we take greater interest in watching survival skills for being in the wild. Realistically, how many viewers will ever need to know this stuff for real, it's 99% fantasy-land.

I dunno, I spent a few hours in Sth Auckland today. There's one for Bear, a trans-Sth Auckland trek without being beaten, hit up for money P E H glue spray cans or Kronic, having his gear stolen, having his camera crew stolen, having his name stolen to register the 76th person in the same house on the Electoral Roll, being inducted in to that Hone cult Mana or Brian Tamakis cult. That could be a big ask :) :)

I can see the next NZ episode now.

"I've been dropped into Kawakawa in the middle of the night and I need to make it through Moerewa to the safety of Kerikeri. While these rusted out holden wrecks would make ideal shelter for the night they are usually located in swampy flood plains which are prone to flash flooding. Therefore I'm wedging myself up in the limbs of a Kaihikatea with a handful of contaminated watercress scavanged from the roadside drain to wait for the relative safety of day. The water cress is not to eat but to placate any rabid TB infected possum I disturb up here"

just got an email from the cuz, looks like all the hardwork was worth it folks.

will hopefully be confirming the challenge soon!

Gidday!

Wow!! I took a call yesterday from Schweppes and was told that my challenge has been accepted as the winner for the week, so a very big thank you to all who voted! Please pass on this message to anyone who you managed to encourage to vote. I really appreciate it.

Not much to report re the challenge as it appears Schweppes and their marketing company are going to need some time to see how they want to tackle it. I was told that Bear said this was the challenge he wanted so he’s onboard – bring it on Bear!!! Date is set for 31st August.

Once I get more details I’ll let everyone know, especially you boat owners! I’m going to need to blow off a few cobwebs. Be prepared!

Once again thanks for all the support.

Cheers

John

just got an email from the cuz, looks like all the hardwork was worth it folks.

will hopefully be confirming the challenge soon!

:thumbup: :thumbup: Awesome keep us updated, figured out how to put it on that web site for degenerates (facebook) as they all seem to just click there.

update on this one, he was selected:

its single handed, but not keelers, more Sydney Harbour up a creek somewhere in Lasers....

Just a quick update re the progress of the challenge. It’s been pretty quiet for the last month, but have just heard what we’ll be sailing on the 31st – the date of the challenge.

The boats to be used - LASER DINGHY’S!!! Not quite what I had in mind and a bit of an anticlimax, but hopefully it should still be fun.

They’re also keeping the location a secret, and have advised that it’s a ‘closed’ media event. I’ve been told it will be held up the river, to the west of the harbour bridge so I’m thinking it’s going to be pretty brief.

So for all the folk that were keen to come out on the harbour I’m afraid it doesn’t look like it’s going to be much of a ‘spectacle’ and I’m unable to say where it will occur. Will keep you all posted should things/info change.

For now we’re down to Sydney on Monday night, PR on Tuesday morning, then the challenges take place on the Wednesday.

Laser? Hope your cuz an't to big or it's blowing like Phuk.

Been looking at the date and thanks for the update, keep us posted.

Up a river, the cuz done any croc wrestling?

here you go, got this just yesterday, thanks all for those who voted. Doesn't sound like it wil be making worldwide TV !

Time for a final update.

Firstly, for those who don’t already know, unfortunately I didn’t manage to beat the Bear - but gee it was a lot fun playing with him. In the end it came down to a slick Le Mans start, which Bear nailed and I didn’t..... One key element is to give your boat a good shove before getting in, to get the boat moving. Bear nailed this, and I didn’t and it was always going to be hard to catch him from then on. By the time I had sheeted in the main and got settled I looked up to see Bear sailing beautifully upwind, perfectly trimmed and a good 4 – 5 boat lengths in front! Game over!!. I did keep trying, hoping that he would muck up a tack or a gybe, but let it be known, Bear can sail. He told be after the race that he loves getting out on the water, and enjoys commuting to and from his little island in England.

My challenge was almost changed to a kayak race, due to little wind, but fortunately the breeze came in and we were able to sail. I had some dingy gear with me but had picked up on the spontaneous nature of the day, so when Bear took of his runners and dropped his jeans I did the same. We both headed down to the water in our jocks and our t-shirts, barefoot and smiling. A short windward / leeward course later (upwind and downwind) and it was all over in under 10 minutes. Oh well!

As for Bear, he really is a pretty nice bloke. No arrogance, a little nervous in front of the media scrum, and genuinely wanting to have fun and engage with us all. One thing we did pick up on – he is a very talented bloke with an ability to pick up on what’s happening very, very quickly and then apply himself well. When we saw how easily he got into a handstand and started walking (for the second challenge) we realised he wasn’t just a grub eating adrenalin junkie. He picked up on all the challenges very quickly and ended up winning 7 out of ten. Interestingly two of ones he lost involved eating, one a live maggot at the end of an obstacle course! Also the people he had round him were great, happy to chat and had interesting backgrounds themselves.

So thanks for everyone’s help in this. It has been a lot of fun. Big thanks ....for getting the challenge on couple of big yachting sites – thanks mate. The Schweppes people commented on that – they were very appreciative of the exposure! Sorry to all the sailors but rest assured, he’s one of us.

Archived