RAYC Gold Cup

Marshy

So what's the goss?

Is anyone doing the series?

No entry list on rayc website?.........

I've entered for the series. Hopefully there's a few more 30 something footers entered.

Is Truxton coming out to play?

truxton might make it for 1 or 2 races this year.

Got a few more jobs to get done for the coastal and white island races so we wont be out for the first couple races.

have fun though and lets hope the course is the fastest way so you dont have to spend the day thinking what if

No entry from River Rebel... Karl?

Hopefully a few more boats still to enter....

[attachment=0]goldcup_entries.PNG[/attachment]

Just an error I think Hamish - we entered about a month ago.

was there a race this weekend?

What happened?

results?

Good hail squall at our place around 1pm.

any good rides?

How did you go Fineline?

Is the boat another beast with the new rig?

It was a great race.

There was a bit of a hole again at Rangitoto lighthouse and for a fleeting moment I think we may have been the first boat for a while there until Attitude got the breezeand took the lead with Overload following her out.

We had our problems getting our kite up, but with the encouragement from fineline, got it sorted and had a great run to the end of Waiheke. We crossed right behind urban cowboy three or four times down the run, and then led them into the waiheke channel by maybe 150 metres.

They passed us off Rotoroa (quite light and flukey)and slowly put maybe 300 metres on us by the time we passed Passage rock.

At this point Urban Cowboy went onto Port and went up the Waiheke coast while we stayed on Starboard and went across to Maraetai.

Another keeler, not sure who, was about 2-300 metres behind us at Passage Rock went more or less up the middle. She slowly overtook us (and I think Urban Cowboy) and beat us by, I would say 20 mins.

Tamaki Strait was very lumpy the way we went, would have been interested if it was as lumpy up the Waiheke coast

I would suggest the finish would have been

Attitude

Overload

Unknown Keeler

Urban cowboy

Putiki Express

??????

I really enjoy racing Keelers, it seems I am more competitive with the larger keelers than multis. The last time I saw Attitude was at the bottom end of Waiheke, but had a good race with Urban Cowboy all the way.

No results up yet... I think they'll be up after the prize giving at RYC tonight.

The breeze was a bit shifty off the start. Bit of a park-up around rough rock... we stayed high to hunt the breeze coming out of the bays and manged to catch and pass most of the boats that had started 10mins ahead of us by Rangi light. We peeled to the masthead kite a mile or so after Rangi light. The breeze was shifting a lot, sometimes reaching sometimes really deep downwind. Urban cowboy had a really good run though to Rakino and looked fast with their big blue kite. Overload had gapped it and they were heading for the horizon.

We gybed between Rakino and haystack and were setup on a pretty nice angle for the run to Gannet rock. Outrageous fortune snuck inside us at Rakino and they were powering along with their big kite. The breeze was only mid teens for the first half of the run but we could see the rest of the fleet coming down on us at pace as the breeze filled in. Whitebait looked like they were having a good ride.

When the breeze got to us we eased the pole forward a bit to keep the death rolls away and held on. The breeze built to around 25kts and we went straight past Outrageous peaking at 14.75kts along the way. Just a shame the breeze didn't stay with us for a bit longer. We rounded gannet rock in 3rd place but had to get rid of the kite pretty quickly to get around the corner. It was pretty tight (45 apparent) so we were surprised to see Outrageous coming up inside us still reaching with their masthead kite... must have had some different breeze cos we sure couldn't do that.

Bottom end of of Waiheke was light and shifty as usual with a few bullets coming down the valleys. We were on the #1 heavy and we don't really have a #2 so chopped down to the #3 to stop getting flattened. River Rebel ripped through a few sail changes and started to catch us. The breeze started to settle in again around passage rock for the long beat back to Browns island. We were content to cover River Rebel all the way back up Tamaki straight. They ripped through a few more sail changes and we just stuck with a #3 but there wasn't much in it between us. We had a few good 25-28kt squalls on the way which made it entertaining and I was happy to only have the #3 up at that point.

Coming up to Motuhie we hung on too long in a couple of tacks and started to end up in different breeze. River Rebel closed up on us and then I made the rookie mistake of not covering them... they hung on right up to the cliffs at St Heliers and we tacked early. In 2 tacks we went from 10 boat lengths ahead to 5 behind. Arrrgghhh! We chased as hard as we could and got close by the finish but still 5 seconds behind at the finish. Well done Karl and crew you sailed a good race. There were a few 40fters not far behind at the finish, not sure who exactly but they were close enough that we probably won't feature in the handicaps.

It was the first time out of the harbour with the new rig. The boat behaves quite differently now so there is still a bit of re-learning to do but we going upwind much better than we used to and downwind is as much fun as ever.

We also had 5 new crew on the boat this weekend. Most of them via crew.org. I hope you guys all enjoyed yourselves, you all did great!

Just had a complaint come back to me from one of the kayakers that the fleet crossed on the way to the start line. Apparently one of the yachts changed direction randomly (maybe to hoist their main) and ended up charging straight at one of the kayakers. Rather than taking action to avoid them the yacht then called out for kayaker to give way!

The kayaker wasn't able to see the name on the boat and was more focused on not ending up in the drink or under someones keel so I don't know who it was. Anybody see this happen? Its sounds like one of us needs a reminder that vessels under power must give way.

waikiwi did well from the start avoiding the park up. survived the gust through rakino where azure lost a perfectly good looking white spinnaker to the used tissue box-coincidentally in the exact location that Notorious shredded their's last years race.

fun run down to gannet though and a slog back. the park up effect up the rangi channel and dwindling tide at the end may account for all the bigger boats tending to the back on handicap. we had good sparring with rainbow/wooly jumper and azure all the way home with no clear advantage to either the waiheke or eastern bays side. you'd have thought tide worst in the middle but maybe not??

lets do it all again Nov 5th!

with regard to the kayaker, it sounds like 2 boats under power so the give way would depend. however the starting off orakei wharf/buoy is unneccessarily dangerous for the routine kayaker/surfski/paddleboarders who regulary negotiate through fleets of yachts whose mind is elsewhere, as well as the yachts who are forced into a crowded start zone with solid backdrop of the wharf/breakwater. Given that we ae using a comittee boat i'd have thought shifting the startline 3-500m further offshore would solve both problems and would be a race officers natural choice from a safety perspective.

with regard to the kayaker, it sounds like 2 boats under power so the give way would depend.

Fair point.. it looks like a kayak is officially a powered craft. The point still stands that the yacht changed course and headed straight for the kayak and almost caused a collision.

What happened to Starlight on yesterdays gold cup race? any stories!!!

I believe that she retired after blowing out her main.

It was a cracking run down the back of Waiheke with the big bag up. A bit hairy through the gybes though!

Archived