ETNZ base to become a 5 star hotel

So that would be just a couple of hundred yards down the road from another flash hotel that is struggling to make money and keep its doors open (Westin). It would be built during a recessionary period that has seen our traditional tourist markets virtually collapse and will be finished well after the most hyped event in NZ for quite some time (Rugby World Cup).

A wise business decision?? :eh:

I guess it would be within walking distance of the new business park that is being created at the tank farm. The ASB building is going to be quite impressive when they start.

And Auckland City Council will call it vision.

Once upon a time Auckland had a huge interest in what went on ON the harbour.

I very much doubt there are any plans to replace the TNZ base with an alternate facility for top level boats to be run from...or what they replace it with will be so expensive no one will be able to afford to use it.

It seems to me Auckland City is determined to kill off the sporting venture of yachting in Auckland.

I have huge concerns on the future of Westhaven Marina and sailing in Auckland under the "vision" of Auckland City planners.

Toles,

To the Auckland Council anyone who owns a boat is a "rich prick" to be taken for as much as possible.

However the city comes only second in the stuffing the harbour competition.

First place for stuffing the harbour goes to Ports of Auckland and the Fergusson wharf extension which is going to create a very nasty little choke point between it's outmost extension and devonport.

Wait till the second harbour crossing goes right through the middle of westhaven....

Wheres your vision. :wtf:

I'm sure they will provide an alternate resource back to the boaties they take facilites away from for the "Greater" good of Auckland! :thumbdown:

I have also been told that the "people" behind all this development are connected with the issues at Westpark. :silent:

How much longer do you think the free parking in the white spaces will last? :shifty:

How much longer will there be reasonably priced pile moorings available?

I hear they are for the axe in the future.

Many of the old Mooring areas around Auckland are now unuseable due to highspeed ferrys....Poles were a low cost alternative to people with larger boats that can't Justify the overhead of a Berth- Where are the boats going to go in the future?

Fek the 5 star....I think many of us would be happy with 3.5 star useable facilities at westhaven being a convienient location..... Everything Auckland City is doing to harbour "developments" is 5 star...without regard to what the regular maritime users might need.

We damn near lost the floating dock due to the councils grand plans....and from the sounds of it they are now charging HUGE rents for the privilege of providing us yachties a service.

the viaduct used to be a shitty little fishing wharf.

I quite like the change that has happened over the past few years and hope that the rest of the area gets developed in a similar way.

the viaduct used to be a shitty little fishing wharf.

I quite like the change that has happened over the past few years and hope that the rest of the area gets developed in a similar way.

Just curious here...But can you afford to park your boat in the viaduct? I certainly can't...and would you want to? I simply don't trust Akl City enough with the grand plans" not to make changes that heavily impact westhaven which end up costing us all a lot of (more) money to have a boat in auckland.

Moving the fishing wharf from the front of downtown was a big improvement in my opinion too......although someone else might argue that point.

Will be interesting to see if they can find investors. Mum and Dad investors have been burned on some of the other hotels in the viaduct with rooms now selling well below what was paid back in 2004. might give a good return but that needs to be balanced with the capital loss. It's a shame that noone since Robbie have ever articulated a real vision for Auckland. To many expedient decisions have compromised the city development.

Archived