Protest Circus

Forget Cirque du Soleil. Just rock up to a protest hearing up north.

There you will enjoy watching BOFFO, BUMBO and TIPSY the clowns entertain themselves while the protestor and protestee watch on in silence.

Be sure not to speak if you are a witness because Tipsy gets a bit upset.

The fact that they pretend not to know what they are doing is the highlight of the show.

And it is FREE but can take up a bit of drinking time so make sure you consume plenty before the show and you will get through it OK. ( just ask Tipsy )

It's amazing that anyone would want to volunteer their time to help administer the sport...

Why would you ? Get to be called Boffo, Bumbo and Tipsy and compared to a clown !

If you don't like volunteers trying their best then maybe Yachting needs to have professional protest panels available that charge you $300 per hour ???

As a matter of interest Beau, did you win or lose the protest?

I agree with Cameron, getting anyone to want to sit on a protest hearing is hard enough as it is.

If they make a genuine error you can use the Appeals process to question it.

It sounds like a case of sour grapes to me. The reality is that yachting in NZ is for the most part amateur based. It is administered by generous volunteers who give up there time so we amateur sailors can go racing. The last thing we need to be doing is bagging anyone.

You could always volunteer yourself and show everyone how it is done.

Well said Farrari!!!

I have only been back racing in NZ for a few years but have been surprised how few people are willing to protest and that seams to make other people think that they can get away with anything. Bagging out the protest committee on a online forum is just going to make that even worse and is not fear on the people that give up their time to keep this wonderful sport going.

Well that got you all going :thumbup:

A few facts.

No it wasnt my protest so its nothing to do with any grapes.. I was however a witness. It was a starting protest rule 11. I was in the start box.

As far as volunteering goes, Trust me I have done and still do plenty including Chairman of the race committee and chairman of several protest committees over the past 20 yrs. not forgetting the working bees around the club-house. Also have some experience in front of 2 international protest committes with the decision going my way both times. Happy to share my experience with club members at any time for what its worth and will continue working as a volunteer.

The problem with this protest is not the result but the way it was conducted.

For a start, the committee heard the protestor first on his own without the protestee being present. You will all know that is a mistake under rule 63.3. I believe that the protestee is applying for a reopening based on that and about 4 other breaches of the rules by the committee.

The attitude of the ring leader clown was the catalyst behind this forum.

As far as Bagging volunteers goes, get over it. I am a volunteer and can handle the critics as well as sometimes enjoying some appreciation.

Being a volunteer is no excuse for making mistakes. We all do it.

Had a coffee and a laugh with one of the clowns thismorning. No Problems.Maybe we are not so precious in the North. :lol:

As far as volunteering goes, Trust me I have done and still do plenty including Chairman of the race committee and chairman of several protest committees over the past 20 yrs. not forgetting the working bees around the club-house. Also have some experience in front of 2 international protest committes with the decision going my way both times. Happy to share my experience with club members at any time for what its worth and will continue working as a volunteer.

Good on you. Without volunteers we don't have a cost effective (a relative term) sport that we can all enjoy. Thank you.

The problem with this protest is not the result but the way it was conducted./quote]

Fair enuff but IMHO we ought not be publicly bagging those that do make a mistake. There is an appeal process that covers this and hopefully they will learn from the process.

Shot taken in the Fishbone Cafe in Kerikeri earlier today below. Which one is you Beau?! :D[attachment=0]Coffee Clowns.jpg[/attachment]

Thats the committee at the 2nd hearing. Note the coffee this time ( no Beer ).

Like the sense of humor.

It's amazing that anyone would want to volunteer their time to help administer the sport...

Why would you ? Get to be called Boffo, Bumbo and Tipsy and compared to a clown !

I have been called a lot worse. And look at them. COOL.

So your saying this clown wasn't part of the committee?

[attachment=0]beer_clown.jpg[/attachment]

That was one of the problems. He was on the committee.

Protest has been reopened but he wont be accepted on it this time.

Dont think the protestee cares about the result. This was his first time in a protest room and I think he expected a bit more "procedure structure" and respect than what was shown if you know what I mean.

Must say the clown pics are very cool :thumbup: :lol:

I would like to follow on Camerons suggestion and would like to put forward my services at the suggested $ 300 .00 hr ............ but one small question .. would it be considered wrong to take bribes on the side as we do live in a free trade market ... :|

Too late Bushman.Its all over. Aftermatch function was rather long, Good time had by all.

I can see a problem with you on a protedt panel. RULES. ! :lol:

Archived