Mini 650 - magnum

So the fat faced mini FRA747 won it's last race.

What do you guys think of the design? It looks fast down hill. Don't know how fast it is uphill in a chop...?

I still haven't found decent video of it going fast

Its certainly has it advantages, reaching and running its gona be quick, but on the wind or in chop it will certainly lose out on the boats that are capable of cutting through.

Suppose it depends on the types of racing they are gona do.

The transats mainly off the wind isnt it?

Should be good for that, but i personally wouldnt have a boat with such a narrow range of capabilities

Pretty it may not be but it is an interesting evolutionary step. Designing a yacht highly tuned for one particular direction of sail seems to be a common theme at the moment so why not take it to the extreme.

I think its more the chines and arse end that are pretty well perfectly set up. I can see how the scow lets it get to those lines quicker, but aside from that why would it be any faster? Planning means weight aft, bow up and low drag equals fast. For that Open rule, the most important sections are aft... So id reckon they designed it back to front, drew the near perfect lines they wanted for the aft 3/4 and realised they couldnt fit the rest in! I do like it tho :thumbup:

Well about time..... the return of the racing scow the boys on the great lakes will be pumping .... sailing to windward is to highly rated in my books anyway .. and image the size of the double grunter up front :idea:

I am no naval architect but I can see the logic

The most streamline shape is a rain drop. so havin a fat nose and a fine exit point seems like a logical way to go. Better to push water than drag it

I think nature designed ducks the same way :D and we all know how fast they are :D

Something like that. I think they are trying to create a longer effective waterline. i.e if you had a 7.5m hull and it was planning along with its bow up it would have a very similar wetted surface to this 650. Its just that the 650s bow is chopped off to fit inside the box rule!

It might even work ok upwind but it sure will be useless if it has to drive into a swell!

The big bows trick the water into thinking the WLL is more than it actually is. Longer WLL's tend to be faster than shorter ones.

Anyone remember Limited Edition the Mullet boat? Huge fat bow......... it did the same thing hence she was a rocketship, comparably speaking, next to all the others. Shame is was a BIC boat though and didn't stay together that well for that long.

The reasons 18's sail like that is to preserve life, i.e. bows down = massive high speed splating into the water usually after bouncing off assorted parts of the boat. I can assure you that hurts a lot. At the last worlds the big 18's were at one of the Prime dudes ended up getting 60 plus stitches...... they let the bow drop to far and in she went, 30 to 0 in 20ft isn't a good thing. Tis a long way to fly when you are 25 odd feet off the centreline on a trapeze. Knot the starting point to be in when the thing that stops you is the forestay.

hmm L E, thats the one that dad built. didnt glass anything inside it cause they wanted to make it light...hence the falling apart :lol:

Yes but knot quite. If they glassed the inside she would then become a 'glass boat' under the Class rules and then she would have had to have been a 200kg (I think, something like that) heavier than the wooden boats. End result was she was real fast but didn't stand the test of time. It wasn't a surprise to everyone, that boat was a rule pusher but one that did work well.

Teamwork seems to be doing well so far in this boat.

Seems to 0.5 knots faster down wind then the others

Currently 4th

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out and if others follow suit next time...?

Archived