How to become a pro offshore sailor

BvanVugt

I want to do all the big classic offshore races

Should i just work my arse off, get a good job and buy my own race yacht in 15-20 years

OR

Being 19 would the next 5-10 years of doing as much sailing as possible be enough to get into a professional sailing career.

And if it is, would dinghy sailing now (laser, 3.7 etc), when theres no racing on keelers avaliable, be as beneficial as simply spending more time on a cruising keeler at sea?

I realise its a very wide question, and that theres no real "correct" answer,

but i basically wana know the general path from weekend dinghy sailor to offshore racing pro.

I can't pretend to know much about it but... there's a reason they call 'em 'Rock Stars'.

Most people who do offshore racing do it for the love of it. And spend a HELL of a lot of their own money doing so.

Youth scheme. It's my one regret I didn't do..and most of my mates about that time frame did.

Getting in and doing the hard grind there though ain't no walk in the park. It's a big commitment...but the rewards are pretty huge.

currently in my third year/season of the RNZYS Lion Foundation Youth Training Programme and i have to say that while it is limiting in some ways (not being able to have weekends off for other regattas/simrad/etc) it makes up for in the fact that you learn commitment to a programme. the networking within the squadron is a big thing, everyone is always looking for crew.

the one thing that i think is often underestimated is the global recognition that the youth programme. we are the standard that programmes try to reach. the new elliot 7s fleet is pretty cool also. fast and controllable. great for match, fleet and harbour racing. a very good thing to have on your sailing cv if you want to take it further.

I have to say that at 19 you are already 10yrs or more behind the 8 ball. That is not to say you can't do it, but many that go this way start as Kids and make their name in the youth side of things first. It's kind of like all forms of racing, car, motorbike and certainly boats. As I said, it doesn't mean you can't, but the longer you leave it, the harder it becomes.

Thanks Guys

I looked into the youth programme a few years ago but the parents basically said no. Ive now decided i dont really care so much if they think what im doing is too big a commitment and ill do what i want.

Bene_sails do many people come into the programme at 19-20yrs old, or have i missed the boat on that one?

On a similar in races like the auckland-fiji race are the teams renerally guys who sail together every weekend or ar there always boats looking for crew even for the bigger races?

Hey chap as well as being a great yachtie to be a pro you need another skill set to bring to the table and this you are the perfect age for. I went down the boat building road for two reasons usually easy to get work after you've finished being a pro and it's a skill that the pros want on their boats. 19 isnt too old that's bull ross field didnt start until he was in his 30's.

I started boatbuilding my pick now would be cookson's do the local stuff on one of these boats ask questions fold sails coil lines hose the boat down etc (after sailing) do as much as you can on the boat go home write up the days events what u learn't what you dont understand. When your on board dont be shy but dont also be a cocky w^&#$@r, if you see a pro go chat to him grab his email if possible!

I moved up from Wellie got on Starlight for a rum race and ended doing kenwood cup including the delivery by the time I was 18 Sailed there moved on to 66 carbon sled then one of the alfa romeo's for a bit then help build zana but met a girl and it parked up. Basic mistake girls will come and go dont give up your yachting for one!

Be brave pros are just people too!

Best of luck the volvo's calling!

Hey chap as well as being a great yachtie to be a pro you need another skill set to bring to the table and this you are the perfect age for. I went down the boat building road for two reasons usually easy to get work after youve finished being a pro and it's a skill that the pros want in their boats. 19 isnt too old that's bull ross field didnt start until her was in his 30's.

I started boatbuilding my pick now would be cookson's do the local stuff on one of these boats ask questions fold sails coil lines hose the boat down etc (after sailing) do as much as you can on the boat go home write up the days events what u learn't what you dont understand. When your on board dont be shy but dont also be a cocky w^&#$@r, if you see a pro go chat to him grab his email if possible!

I moved up from Wellie got on Starlight for a rum race and ended doing kenwood cup including the delivery by the time I was 18 Sailed there moved on to 66 carbon sled then one of the alfa romeo's for a bit then help build zana but met a girl and it parked up. Basic mistake girls will come and go dont give up your yachting for one!

Be brave pros are just people too!

Best of luck the volvo's calling!

I reckon that sums it up nicely :thumbup: - all the stuff I didn't do!

i started when i was 19. you would be looking at next years intake - may 2012. generally 21 is the cutoff age. the youth regattas the programme focus on are all U21 age limited so theres not much point after that, although in saying that we had a 21yr old join this year.

im currently doing an apprenticeship at cooksons and form the people i have spoken to in the industry there seems to be a fine line between being a yachttie that can boatbuild and a boatbuilder that can sail. i know a couple of guys on the Camper shore crew for example who are good at what they do, but thats what they are known for. he is known by the volvo guys as a sailmaker not a world class yachttie which he is in his own right.

generally i think its just about going sailing and showing yourself to be a good dude and a good yachttie. eager to learn and happy to put in the hard yards.

man i should listen to my own advice a bit more huh? this is my plan anyways.

Rather then BoatBuilding im doing an Engineering degree at Auckland but for this i have to do 800hrs of hands on engineering and ive sent an email to Mick Cookson a while back, should probably sent another one incase he thinks im just a tyre kicker emailing around all the yards.

Ill look into the Youth Programme a bit more for sure since id be an allright age for it, id allmost given up on that idea.

And thanks for all the tips guys, ive taken note of them and ill definitely be paying alot more attention to different aspects of the sailing whenever im out on the water and after too.

Sounds like you've got the right idea. dDon't be shy go visit cookson's and tell them youll sweep the floor if you have too. People tend to relate better face to face than thou emails. Goodluck!

That is the same in all Carreer beginnings Jordan. The apprentice gets to do all the crap jobs and they all think their talents are being wasted. But the crap jobs are just as important as what seems to be the most important jobs. Someone has to do the cleaning of the loo and sweep the floor and the best choice is the person that costs the least. Plus it shows the Boss attitude of the young person. So do the job well and without moaning about it and it won't be long before you are given better jobs.

I to am also a youth programer and a sail maker at norths, i did the fiji race this year on a boat called Go. The only way i got onto this boat was thorugh the program and talking to people telling them i was intersted and in the end i got offered a ride by one of guys who run our race committee. So bacisly the best thing you can do is get to know everyone, go to the bar after a rum race buy people a beer and they will introduce to other guys, as long as your not a dick head youll get somewhere. Its all networking.

Archived