Fastnet race

SloopJohnB

I'm sure I'll be corrected if i'm wrong but I can't think of too many multi's having structural failure compared to keels breaking off.

So I guess a multi flipping is usually crew failure and before a race we can xray mono keels for cracks and multi crews for cracks :lol: Won't be to many multis alowed out.

I thought they had solved these problems years ago but these things are still happening it always seemed a strange place to be saving weight at the expense of strength, but i'm sure the design challenges are extremely complex.

Glad they are all ok.

Guest Saturday Night Special

unfortunately there are 2 issues here.1. these canters at maxi size are the equivalent of Formula 1 on water as a re the volvo boats F1 cars fail the good part is no one died. The big multis are like top fuel drag Cars they go very fast and also break

2. sh*t happens when pushed to the limit and it will continue at this level with both multi's and mono.So get over multi vs keeler crap.

unfortunately there are 2 issues here.1. these canters at maxi size are the equivalent of Formula 1 on water as a re the volvo boats F1 cars fail the good part is no one died. The big multis are like top fuel drag Cars they go very fast and also break

2. sh*t happens when pushed to the limit and it will continue at this level with both multi's and mono.So get over multi vs keeler crap.

I think it was Colin Chapman that said "the ideal race car should fall apart just after it crosses the finish line" i.e if it doesn't then its been over engineered for its intended purpose.

Sometimes sh*t happens... nobody died, learn from it and move on.

Jeez, I went down to Smithy's boat for a bit of a clean up and all this happens, can't leave you lot alone for half a day can I?

I don't hate any particular boat more than another, but everytime someone needs rescuing I cringe a bit as I fear what idiot barriers will be put in my way next time I want to sail away.

Guest Rocket

Scary shot on that other site of the 5 drifters being rescued after a 3.5 hour paddle - if they were in a liferaft there was no sign of it. Looked very sobering. Bloody good rescue effort - and I am sure some lessons about what worked and what didn't - lets hope it all gets a good airing so we can learn how to be safer.

I seem to remember being told last time I dared question the direction our sport was headed that the movable ballast dangly thing with a motor running technology is mature now - Hmmm

No wonder our sport struggles with the wider public

Here we have this iconic race with the most fantastic finish looming with the V70's but there has been no commentary update for about 10 hours, the site itself is very difficult to use, while the tracker is fantastic you need some knowledge of yachting to be able to follow and one of the players traansponders is down but there is no mention of it on the site (that I can find anyway).. spen half the morning thinking that sanya must jhave dropped their rig until I checked in on crew this morning.

As to those tedious referneces re multi vs mono....we have the league guys in rugby and these multi guys in yachting who seem to have this gigantic chip on their shoulders and continually reference back to the other...get over it no one cares what you choose to sail and most of us a just happy that people are on the water enjpying themsleves

quote from the front page

"Pints of Guinness are possibly going to be available.

The emergency services did a great job and everything that could be done was done exceedingly well."

If there was ever a place you'd wanna get rescued off and airlifted to it would have to the the South Irish coast!

No wonder our sport struggles with the wider public

Here we have this iconic race with the most fantastic finish looming with the V70's but there has been no commentary update for about 10 hours, the site itself is very difficult to use, while the tracker is fantastic you need some knowledge of yachting to be able to follow and one of the players traansponders is down but there is no mention of it on the site (that I can find anyway).. spen half the morning thinking that sanya must jhave dropped their rig until I checked in on crew this morning.

As to those tedious referneces re multi vs mono....we have the league guys in rugby and these multi guys in yachting who seem to have this gigantic chip on their shoulders and continually reference back to the other...get over it no one cares what you choose to sail and most of us a just happy that people are on the water enjpying themsleves

Amen brother ..... Just get out there. Same as if you live in Queenstown and have some moral superiority because you have snow all the time and we in Auckland don't. Get this - we don't care how or where you live as long as you're doing just fine.

Looks Like Sanya finished within an hour of the other two V 70's and in front of leopard, Fantastic result for those guys!! Beat the previous mono record too

Another big lump of lead at the bottom of the ocean poisoning countless poor wee fishy's.

As PR goes its a shocker of a race for Cookson's who built both Beau Geste and Rambler.

Glad to hear everyone is safe.

Tim,

why do you always have to bring everyone else to your level, not sure how you work out it is a PR issue for Cooksons, Mick builds a great boat, and stands by them. No one knows for sure what has happen to either boat so how do you justify your comment.

Are you telling me Hall Spars will have no issues with any of the rigs they have in the fastnet, or any other race, give us a break.

Maybe someone should start that PR shocker,

maybe the late delivery of some carbon rigging to a boat in melbourne which forced it out the southport race should be treated as a PR shocker as well

f*ck no wonder people ahve given up on this site...there is a great yacht race goin on out there, two V70's match race themsleves to a standstill and finish 4 minutes apart, our kiwi boys in their first outing have a great result and all three beat the 100' maxi, the multi's and mono's all smash the records, there are kiwis scattered all through the fleet and there is boat on boat racing happening all over the course and all you dickheads can do is play silly little baby games, why don't you man up and meet in the carpark and beat the sh*t out of each other and leave this forum to celebrate a great yacht race

Agreed - plus a number of kiwi built and designed boats doing really well. Roaring Forty 2 is the second of the Class 40s designed by Farr, and built at Cooksons. Crewed by Michele Kleinjans and David Thompson who were both here for the last Global 2 Handed race, on different boats.

The Class 40s are awesome boats and can't wait for them to arrive in Welly about New Years. Race starts in 40 days.

Archived