Fastnet race

SloopJohnB

Can't see much of a multi v mono thing going on maybe a few cheap digs on the last page nothing to get excited about :eh:

Didn't get a chance to see much of a race unfolding had a look at the tracker at lunchtime then saw the post about Rambler. Maybe if you guys who had been following the VO70 battle had posted something about it we would all be talking about that, sounds pretty interesting. Along with all the other Kiwis amongst the fleet that we don't know about, share the info please guys.

sh*t - I had a deal to lease Speedboat on the table for a Singapore company and turned it down - bloody pleased now we did - how do you return that in the same condition as when you leased it?

Ross and Campbell are in a battle for the Class 40 finish, looks like it could be a good one. Can get a bit soft coming into Plymouth.

Only 2 NM between the top 5 boats with the Field's "BSL" currently in first place... go kiwis!

What's interested me so far regards Rambler dropping it's load is that no one has speculated on the cause as yet.....designer fault- builder fault etc etc.

And no mention on recovery of the boat either.

Will be a mission to drop the rig out and get it back.....Given the way it flipped it must all still be in one piece....so probably something that they would want to retrieve if they can.

it's a deck stepped rig so might be a little easier than a keel stepped jobber.

The 0.5s of video I saw made it look like there was a fair amount of motion from the seaway, so wouldn't be surprised if the rig was a bit damaged.

Not sure how heavy the bulb was, but the beast has more than 100tm of RM, so it must have gone over pretty fast. Just imagine waking up to that...

Maybe the rig got damaged on the way into the water...

What's interested me so far regards Rambler dropping it's load is that no one has speculated on the cause as yet.....designer fault- builder fault etc etc.

"Mr David, said the stainless steel keel fin had fractured, but the cause was as yet unknown."

Which probably means metal fatigue... and that either means the design wasn't up to the task or the stainless steel wasn't as per the properties that the engineer expected.

Stainless steel (especially the exotic stuff) suffers from some pretty gnarly problems i.e crevice cracking and the like which could go from nothing to complete failure very quickly under loads like this.

Other speculation (as per SA) includes; torpedoes, mines, trained sunfish and sharks with frick'n laser beams on their heads.

"Mr David, said the stainless steel keel fin had fractured, but the cause was as yet unknown."

Which probably means metal fatigue... and that either means the design wasn't up to the task or the stainless steel wasn't as per the properties that the engineer expected.

Stainless steel (especially the exotic stuff) suffers from some pretty gnarly problems i.e crevice cracking and the like which could go from nothing to complete failure very quickly under loads like this.

Other speculation (as per SA) includes; torpedoes, mines, trained sunfish and sharks with frick'n laser beams on their heads.

A laaaaaazer (said like Dr evil) Would be entirely possible if Austin Powers were driving .....But I think not.

Here you can see the keel snapped off, just below the pin, so looks to be nothing wrong with the canting mechanism itself, instead the problem was with the fin, which looks like a hollow section.

Typically for fatigue design of steel there is a stress limit, below which the part has an infinite life. In design there are two options:

A. Design below this limit and have an infinite life. But if loads are higher than designed for, then the part has a finite life.

B. Design above this limit but replace the part periodically. But if things are cycling faster than you think, then converting time to number of cycles can lead to errors.

Alt_29039720crop12.jpg

Pretty sure, it wont be hollow. As its a canter the keel fin is not there for lateral resistance, thats what the canards do. The fin is purely a lever arm so would be a small as structurally possible for less drag. Its not like a fixed keep boat where the keel will normally be bigger than it structurally needs to be for lateral resistance so can afford to be hollow to save weight in the fin.

strength. the further apart you can get the sides of the box section requires alot more stress to compress the bottom side while tensioning the top (while the keel is canted), so in theory it can be built of lighter stainless. jeez i hope im right, if im knot then atleast i made myself think that im smart

It's a balance between drag and weight.

For a given bending moment, a hollow section can be built lighter, but will have more drag, because of more projected area. A solid section will be heavier yet have less drag because of less projected area.

So the optimum solution depends on the relative cost of weight and drag to the overall boat's performance which I'm sure the designers thought about.

Whether that truly is hollow or is a tab off that guy's jacket I'm not sure.

strength. the further apart you can get the sides of the box section requires alot more stress to compress the bottom side while tensioning the top (while the keel is canted), so in theory it can be built of lighter stainless. jeez i hope im right, if im knot then atleast i made myself think that im smart

If it wasn't for the last part you would have all most made it look real smart :lol: :lol:

Unrelated in a way but still on the ruff theme, check this out. Horrendously strong and probably ideal for a keel....... if you could afford to pay for it. The way Rolls Royce make the fan blades for the Trent jet engines. Each one shifts upto 1.2tonnes of air a second and loads up to 90 tonnes. The way they make them is pretty amazing.

This is part 3 of 10. About 4 mins into they chat about how they make the blades. Interesting series though. Tolerances of only 7 microns in places in the motors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exIGdwky354

Archived