Life lines

Quarter Pint

Dont know where to post this so here is good!

I have heard by several now that dynex is suitable versus wire for lifelines?

I have the current blue safety book and dont see it, but I noticed orbit did have dynex lifelines before last Coastal and that would be a far too amateur mistake so those guys to make.

Is there an amendment to the current rules, where do find it, Jono? Anyone?

I'll be quick to change, wire in the back on the 727 is wearing me out as I get old!

...what do you guys call "life lines" ? are you talking about the wire between staunchions ?

If it is, I would like as many of you guys as possible to measure the highest point between deck and that top wire and report......

...what the hell..Im bored..(living on board and not being able to sail due to health reasons makes a man a little lose lipped)...

....try this...chose a wire, or rail , at about your boats top "safty wire"....Now..about six solid steps at speed towards this wire ...and then stop yourself...BUT...you MUST stop yourself only when you reach 300mm of the staunchions.

Becarefull..If your feet plant...You will break your legs.(leg)

If your feet slip..you will be straight over board.

Sorry this is not a joke, or a crew funny.

The bulk of an average body mass is simply way higher than an average "safety line" will contain. It is in fact a tripping hazard.

SO..why are they at that height ?...Simple...they look like crap if they are lower.

Dont believe me ?....you will find that staunchion height is related to free board.

Have a look at your sleek go fasts....

Maybe interfere with racing?....cant handle the sheets intime...

Maybe a feeling of security ?

Maybee.....have a good look at your jack lines....and keep your harness lines ON and short....

Dont know where to post this so here is good!

I have heard by several now that dynex is suitable versus wire for lifelines?

You can use a dyneema product, Dynex being one of many, but it has to be overbraied or 'covered'. You probably have the same stuff as a halyard even if it's bigger than required for line lines. The cover is a good idea as it'll cause less human damage then the more course single briad.

I'm going that way and have a dyneema over dyneema to fit when the time comes. I must say it is rather sexy. The dyneema cover makes it a tad stronger and slippery as hell so less likely to remove more of my skin.

Make sure you fully read the regs and fine print in the amendment.

While Orbit had Dyneema life lines they weren't actually legal. Their ones weren't sheathed as per the requirement in the regs.

In addition they were showing signs of wear - abrasion by the time Easter came around - 6 months old. To be fair if they had a decent sheathing on them they may not have had the wear on them.

So be prepared to do maintenance on them / programmed replacement more than your wire ones.

I actually discussed the matter both with YNZ and the Orbit skipper when I saw them. As the boat had already been sold to Australia by then it wasn't a biggie in the scheme of things.

SO..why are they at that height?

Because they are designed mainly (but not exclusively) to be effective when people are sitting or kneeling on the deck?

...what do you guys call "life lines" ? are you talking about the wire between staunchions ?

If it is, I would like as many of you guys as possible to measure the highest point between deck and that top wire and report......

Most yachts follow the Yachting NZ Safety Rules 17.24 (K) (a)e.g.

For keel yachts over 8.53m (28ft) overall

Taut double lifelines, with upper lifeline of wire at a height of not less

than 60cm (2ft) above the working deck, to be permanently supported at intervals of not more than 2.15m (7ft).

So this applies to most of us, with some stanchions being flat with the top wire immediately below that and other stanchions with pointed or rounded tops slightly higher than the wire, but generally all stanchions will be less than 65cm tall.

See free download for all details at:

http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/Upload/UserDocument/Large%20Files/YNZ_Safety_Regulations_of_Sailing_09-12.pdf

+ see amendments.

Sorry to hear about your health restricting your sailing after all the building. I trust others are taking you out. Cheers :thumbup:

Make sure you fully read the regs and fine print in the amendment.

While Orbit had Dyneema life lines they weren't actually legal. Their ones weren't sheathed as per the requirement in the regs.

In addition they were showing signs of wear - abrasion by the time Easter came around - 6 months old. To be fair if they had a decent sheathing on them they may not have had the wear on them.

So be prepared to do maintenance on them / programmed replacement more than your wire ones.

I actually discussed the matter both with YNZ and the Orbit skipper when I saw them. As the boat had already been sold to Australia by then it wasn't a biggie in the scheme of things.

I thought carbon staunchions were not legal as well?

Smart dude this Jono, the cover will make them last longer and help with the chafe protection. SO WILL a bit of fine emery paper combined with fingers running around the edge of the stanchion holes to suss for sharp bits before they are fitted.

Again correct. DO KNOT assume these will last as long as many hold onto their wire ones. They may but they probably won't.

...I have learnt a lot. "life lines" are very low flexible wires (or similar). They are not intended to stop people going over board. (Unless they are in a sitting or crawling position).

They are not intended to give a solid grip..ie they are by nature, very flexible...held only by single poles...which may have a degree of strength, but by virtue will flex. Added to that the fact that there is no joining strength between staunchions...(that is the "life lines" run through the staunchions,,,as opposed to being attached to each one...the movement of the "life line" could be in the order of many centermeteres for each movement of the boat..(both athwart and pitch and roll).

Further...the thickness of the "life lines" is such that under any normal circumstances , reasonable grip is nearly impossible. If indeed a degree of cold reduced that ability to grip, the "life line" would be of such a small size as to make it impossible to grip with any reasonable saftey.

(I have seen the results, and have been told..."Yeah..hit a wave and I got caught on the cheese grater wire"...)

What a way to treat a crew.

Its purpose , it seems is only to give rail fodder a some what dubious feeling of saftey. Perhaps at the expense of their own well being. After all, in this day and age...if you know you are going to have human balast...light weight, solid (carbon fibre?) restraints would be a more humane and safer way to go.

anough with the duff....expensive charter (non racing) boats still have "saftey lines" that would put a wrong foot over board...let alone a double scotch sunday and a half........

Alot of the TPs used EGlass Stantions that were black resin so could well have been the same? A crowd in Birkenhead used to make them and i believe they are legal?

Archived