Leaking Diesel tank

TeMPuS

A hard question, leaking diesel tank (which is fiberglass) and partly under the galley and saloon seat so access to it is a real pain. Basically happened after a bit of a grounding in florida (when we were supposed to have 30ft water we had a sandbank which had moved in a recent storm), so yeah small diesel leak into the bilge. We had the tank pumped out and i glassed over the leak pretty heavily and it stopped for a while until smashing through the gulf of mexico in a tropical storm. Its nearly back in NZ coming on a ship and I just want to get some advice on repairs/solutions for when she gets back.

Oh dear. Is the leak coming from the same area?? It maybe that due to the diesel or oil in otherwords, the epoxy has not stuck completely and a weep is coming through. Or the main damage as opened up further. If you can get good access to the leak, you need to grind into it, fill the hole so as the leak is stopped, then give the area a good clean with Solvent like Acetone, then glass over the cleaned area again.

Thanks for both of the replies, might start by trying to fix it again, try grind it back and epoxy it up then glass over it. Any recommendations on an epoxy that i can use that will go off very quickly and stop diesel coming through?

If that fails i might have to look at the bladder option or something similar.

Cheers!

Not sure how much $ you want to throw at this but after repeatedly failing to plug a leaking built-in watertank, I bit the bullet and had a boatbuilder cut the dsection out and install a custom-designed plastic tank.

With something as nasty as diesel I'd be even keener to jump straight to a guaranteed permanent solution e.g. a new stainless tank. But it will cost more, granted.

My next piece of advice was that you would probably be best to go down the route of inserting a bladder.

The best epoxy to start off with is that epoxy putty like kneed It and use the five minute one.

Last year did some preventative maintenance and replaced the almost totally perished rubber tube which equalises two side by side tanks... phew, lucky! (even though I put an inch or two of diesel in the bigles, would have been total diosaster if it had let go).

I see on Trademe, a guy selling the Black Polyethylene tanks as Fuel tanks. That is a big no no. Black is water and grey.black water only and do NOT meet the specs for Fuel and WILL split eventually.I found that one out the hard way 20yrs ago with 200ltrs of Petrol going into the bilge of my Powerboat. Then I found out all the regulations.

RIP the thing out if at all posible and go STAINLESS or polyethylene which I got (they need GOOD support or can split!!). No trouble ever since

depends on the SIZE (and support!) of the fuel tank.... and I suspect the fuel is distilate not petrol. A power boat thumping through the waves is a bit different to a yacht. Just my opinion but the one I have is a good as new 4 years on.

No the Black tanks are not fuel Approved. The fact that the tank split was the first problem. The second problem was finding out afterwards that you had to use a Fuel approved tank. I am not totaly sure, but I would hazard a guess it is about tank strength, but also, I imagine the plastic has a better resistance to the various nasties in Petrol and Diesel that attack many plastics. Diesel tends to make many plastics brittle given time.

No the Black tanks are not fuel Approved. The fact that the tank split was the first problem. The second problem was finding out afterwards that you had to use a Fuel approved tank. I am not totaly sure, but I would hazard a guess it is about tank strength, but also, I imagine the plastic has a better resistance to the various nasties in Petrol and Diesel that attack many plastics. Diesel tends to make many plastics brittle given time.

Well.... I figure I will go with what the manufacturer (Thames Tanks) states:

""Hello Steve,

We are not aware of any law saying polyethylene diesel tanks are illegal. We offer our whole range of tanks as diesel tanks if required, we manufacture these tanks from a special diesel grade powder that is certified for diesel use.

Thames Tanks & Products changed hands on 1st April 2009 (note new name, TT Plastics) so we wouldn’t know what the previous owner sold you. However to answer your primary question Polyethylene diesel tanks are NOT illegal. And even if made from standard polyethylene powder, will still be absolutely fine.

I trust this settles your concerns.

Please pass on to whoever you heard this from that they are incorrect.

Regards

Paul Bennett

General Manager""

(the above from an e-mail just sent today)

I had these guys make up a holding tank and they do diesel as well:

http://www.herculestanks.co.nz/boat_tanks.htm

More expensive than the option that Fineline has posted but I went for a custom shape to get the most out of the available space (there is very little in a boat that lends itself to a rectangular shape :roll:

I was lucky that the cube tank slotted in under the campanion way where the engine used to be.

I had these guys make up a holding tank and they do diesel as well:

http://www.herculestanks.co.nz/boat_tanks.htm

More expensive than the option that Fineline has posted but I went for a custom shape to get the most out of the available space (there is very little in a boat that lends itself to a rectangular shape :roll:

I was lucky that the cube tank slotted in under the campanion way where the engine used to be.

Ah. I must admit that making your interior work efficiently is easier if you are willing to to go to the extent of relocating the engine.

That boat of yours must be looking far too flash by now with the new rig as well, when are you going to invite me on board to trash it? I seem to have spot going begging in my calendar for Labour Weekend at this stage... :wink:

""Hello Steve,

We are not aware of any law saying polyethylene diesel tanks are illegal.

Hey don't go shooting me wetdreams. I can only state what the Seller of the tank I bought says. I was told it was not fuel approved by them. That is all i can say. I had it well supported and the boat was new and so vibration was not an issue. The tank failed.I have no idea if it is the same tank that you have discussed with the manufacturer or not.

I do find it interersting that is you have to have approvals for 20ltr plastic Carry containers and for 20ltr plastic outboard fuel containers, that you don't need any approval for a plastic tank that can take 200ltrs of fuel.

Does anyone know if the Cat rules state any particular specification for fuel tanks and their installations??

YNZ Safety Reg. 20.00 Engine and 20.10 basically states ". . . metal or such other material certified by manufacturer as suitable . . ."

Down load regs and get onto YNZ Safety Inspectors; Regs & details on YNZ web site.

With something as nasty as diesel I'd be even keener to jump straight to a guaranteed permanent solution e.g. a new stainless tank.

RIP the thing out if at all posible and go STAINLESS or polyethylene

A couple of years back I was getting a truck diesel tank replaced and enquired about getting a stainless steel one. The engineer (who was very experienced and well respected in the local farming community) said that I shouldn't get stainless but some alloy instead. I can't recall exactly....it may have been an alloy/stainless mix? I expressed surprise and he said something about diesel having been found to (very) slowly eat away or react with stainless steel.

Anyone know anything about this?

A couple of years back I was getting a truck diesel tank replaced and enquired about getting a stainless steel one. The engineer (who was very experienced and well respected in the local farming community) said that I shouldn't get stainless but some alloy instead. I can't recall exactly....it may have been an alloy/stainless mix? I expressed surprise and he said something about diesel having been found to (very) slowly eat away or react with stainless steel.

Anyone know anything about this?

I have heard of the weld not lasting, apparently get little pin holes "rusting' in the weld joint.

Wheels would know more than most re welding

Archived