Useful boating products

Righty then...moving right along. Epoxy putty like Selleys Aqua. Infact I try and keep a 5minute one as well as the aqua. But I also found a two pot glue the other day that will adhere and set under water or on wet surfaces. Got it from Bunnings and it comes in two tubes.

Porta potty type heads, no through hulls, has its holding tank. dead simple, no bad smell. Makes people want to avoid using it. :thumbup: Years ago the through hull pumpout toilet was practical but not any more. Now we need a holding tank which is a heap of trouble and expense. Mostly gets filled with water anyway. I've installed mine on a plinth to make it easier for half pissed sailers to get their aim right.

And you don't need an Engineer to sort it. :D

Hi Bbay, I don't have a holding tank (yet) but I've gotta say I'm not keen on them.

I had a porta potty years ago on a previous boat but it was old and smelt REAL bad. Kinda put me off them (literally :lol: )

So you think these new ones are good? They'd be about the same cost as installing the holding tank system (well, almost)

Be interested in your comments/thoughts (and others). How many "goes" before it's full?

It's either that or the fancy schmancy electric thingie (Burnsco have a "working" model at Westhaven branch) - which disintegrates everything and sanitises before discharge. Probably the best for the environment but not cheap. And if it goes wrong it doesn't look like a cheap fix......... which portapotties are..............

Decisions, decisions................... :wtf:

We have had our for about 15 months or so and its been good. At first it was a bit smelly, we tried various product like liquids and tablets that you put into the bottom and the flush. These products were made for this purpose but were largely inneffective. The bleach works well with just a slight not unpleasant bleach smell. Ours is a flush type. Holds about 20 litres which I can fill in about a week sailing on sunday ( couple of crew) and most evenings onboard listening to music and pottering about. Best to empty a bit early. I take the tank home and drain it into the outside loo or heave to offshore. We use fresh water. I'm aboard say at least every second day so can't comment on what its like if left for a longer time. I've found it to be a clean sort of a system to use, no spills etc.

I've a mate who has a beaut yacht that the electric pump heads sometimes blocks and pumps sh*t into his bilge. Seen that happen twice well thats enough for me to regard that system as unsuitable. Much too complicated in my opinion.

Biggest problem with the porta potty is getting the idea past the Admiral.

I'd rather empty one of these than clean the sht out of the bilge. I got used to emptying it fairly quickly. If you put the nozzle right down near the water when emptying in the toilet that seems to give very little odour if any. Definitely does not smell as bad as a pump through heads after being left a while.

If I had the money I would go for a composting system.

i thuoght porta potties eemed a bad idea, but after using one on voom last summer, can't really see any issues. Water reservoir seems to last forever, and the tank needs emptying every second day maybe. Depends how many women you have on board really. Smells a little sometimes, but have smelt heaps worse.

I'm a convert anyway. no thru hulls, worst case isn't too bad (throw it away and buy a new one). Easy to remove for racing. Might try the bleach option this summer.

Don't know about porta pottys, but do have a composter.

In the composter (see Airhead) the no.2's end up mixed into a nice peat compost which just has an earthy smell. The compost container has weeks and maybe months of capacity. The No.1's are separated into a container for emptying every couple of days. That can get ammonia smelly. A few table spoons of sugar is the recommended remedy.

Could also explain the lack of mast?.... but no.

Airhead works best when used regularly. It'll need firing up again (a bit of moisture in the compost) when I put the boat back together. Otherwise it's great for our boat.

++: no through hulls, no discharge (except tipping out the no.1s every so often).

--: you need to run a small fan most of the time to ventilate it properly. Also it's not the most ergonomic toilet. there are competing models that are probably better but wouldn't fit my space. Also it really needs a decent piece of flat well secured floor to stand on. It wouldn't cope with a big team on board for more than a day or two.

Could also explain the lack of mast?.... but no.

You have no mast at the moment. How coincidental :)

Having seen Bogan bog I was impressed at how well it fits in. I was expecting a lot bigger and no where near as tidy. Bar it looking slightly different it fits in the Dunnyatorium just like a standard sort of a one.

It gets smelly if you overload it. Otherwise it smells earthy. Any smell is outside from the vent. No smell inside the boat.

It seems to cope OK with a family of four. More than that it starts to struggle. There's no flushing, so things stay pretty compact unless you have one of those real evacuation moments.

The install on drums of time isn't perfect. I had to get it sorted in a hurry which meant installing on top of a preexisting pedestal. The pedestal creates a flat area over one of the ribs of the hull liner. The whole thing ends up 6-8 inches higher than the bathroom floor, so you can feel a little perched on the can.

Archived