Old Primus stoves.

I have a two burner Old primus stove fitted in 26 Raven probaly from standard and was wondering if anyone knows of a place that sells spares etc for them in NZ, bit scared to light it after being told one burner works fine but the other shoots out two foot flames but "ca,nt remember which one".

Just thought it might be easier to re jet the old stove since its fitted to a gimballed bracket otherwise I have to try and find a new stove with the same dimensions will upload some pics of the stove soon going out tommorow.

Take it home....outside.....set up level and have a good long play at lighting it etc etc, bit of a knack "driving" these beasties preheating is the key from memory however burn enough grass and you'll get on top of it no probs, most camping stores have/ had the pricker things to unclog the jet, the kero ones also run on diesel from memory

Brought it home today and gave it a blow out with compressor but still could,nt get it to work properly after dissembly found a collection of mis matched bits just need to get two new primus burners to fit onto the old Tank and Bracket anyone know where to start looking?

post-11507-141887188641.jpg

I am pretty sure parts are no longer available. You may have to get a wee Gas cooker unit to replace it.

But just incase, give 121 Marine a call, as they do a fair bit with Gas cookers re parts and fixing.

Try the "Silver Fox" Freddy Andrews at Marine Stainless. If my memory serves my right he use to make them plus all the stainless work on the Ravens for the 2 Dons.

Cheers for that sounds about right as theres a sticker on it that says"Marine Stainless Fittings' Auckland looks they made stove and just used Primus running gear.

Who were or are the "2 Dons"?

I have found a mob in the States that sells spares for Primus old stoves (packstoves@aol.com)but would be good to find someone over here that sells seals washers,prickers etc.

Would prefer to keep the Kero stove rather than go to Gas for safety reasons.

I would have though any of the older established camping stores would have parts, maybe Fosters might have them in the dungeon somewhere??

I did try the tricky plumber for repairs to a M.S. Princess some time ago but was put off by someone who said they had had one overhauled but the estimate of around $500.00 jumped to a final bill in excess of $1100.00.

Where are these older established Camping stores thats the trouble all the good ones I knew got sunk by these chain stores like Kathmandu ,Warehouse, rebel Sports etc etc where the guy serving you doe,snt even know what Kerosene is let alone re jetting a old Cooker.

These stoves used Optimus burners from Sweden. There use to be an agent in New Zealand, but I can no longer find any details. You could try contacting Optimus via their website. I would unscrew a burner of the the tank and photograph it and send it to them. They should be able to help. The original Optimus company in Sweden was sold in 2007.

I rebuilt one of these stoves about 12 years ago. All that is involved in replacing the burners, and the leather cup on the end of the pump.

bit scared to light it after being told one burner works fine but the other shoots out two foot flames but "ca,nt remember which one".

Sounds like the burner has not been preheated enough and it is the kero that is flaring.

First step: Are you using some meths to preheat the burner?

It is an art to get just the right amount of meths on the burner. There were special bottles with brass tubes in a "U" shape to measure and dispense just enough meths.

If wrong, then it's best to start again with a full load of meths. Using half loads and playing catch up never seemed to work.

Second Step: Turning on the burner just as the last of the meths was burning was an advanced skill that took practice.

Good Luck.

PS Meths can be easily extinguised with a glass of water or damp cloth :thumbup: , but kero is washed burning into the bilge, which generally, but not always, creates a heighted level of interest from the owner, similar to the flare ups scorching the cabin deckhead or elephants' mating. :silent: :thumbdown:

Gas is safe if set up correctly with bottle outside and a gas detector.

Those primus stoves are a pain - you will end up with a blackened deckhead.

Yep I agree with you LPG is looking like a easyway out at the moment but I have to get this Keresone one going now for self esteem issues.

bit scared to light it after being told one burner works fine but the other shoots out two foot flames but "ca,nt remember which one".

Sounds like the burner has not been preheated enough and it is the kero that is flaring.

First step: Are you using some meths to preheat the burner?

It is an art to get just the right amount of meths on the burner. There were special bottles with brass tubes in a "U" shape to measure and dispense just enough meths.

If wrong, then it's best to start again with a full load of meths. Using half loads and playing catch up never seemed to work.

Second Step: Turning on the burner just as the last of the meths was burning was an advanced skill that took practice.

Good Luck.

PS Meths can be easily extinguised with a glass of water or damp cloth :thumbup: , but kero is washed burning into the bilge, which generally, but not always, creates a heighted level of interest from the owner, similar to the flare ups scorching the cabin deckhead or elephants'

I do,nt think its pre heating issues have burnt full cups of Meths and then heated it up with a Blow Torch just in case,one burner has a little needle that pops up and cleans the jet when you twist the knob to port the other doe,snt do that so must be rooted.

I just want to arsehole the two burners and replace them but the cheapest I can find so far is 70 pounds each per burner plus postage tax etc basically equals the cost of a new LPG unit so it mght be time to switch.

I have one of these cookers on my boat, still using it regularly is now 30 yrs old.

My first question are you trying the right fuel in it. My one is set up with jets to use methylated sprits as the main and priming fuel.

I have serviced mine once about 10 yrs ago, there was at that time a Primus NZ agent , I dont see one listed now

These stoves used Optimus burners from Sweden. There use to be an agent in New Zealand, but I can no longer find any details. You could try contacting Optimus via their website. I would unscrew a burner of the the tank and photograph it and send it to them. They should be able to help. The original Optimus company in Sweden was sold in 2007.

I rebuilt one of these stoves about 12 years ago. All that is involved in replacing the burners, and the leather cup on the end of the pump.

Yea I belive even the burners in the Taylors Stoves use a burner built by Optimuss. there is one old agent of taylors in New Zealand. They have spaires avalable.

Archived