Fiordland

Bimini Babe

Hi folks, just back from a trip to Fiordland (by car, although with kayaks, so not entirely off-the-water) and am absolutely stunned stupid by the beauty of the place. Obviously I'm now thinking I HAVE to take the boat there, which will mean a trip from the BOI, maybe next summer when we get back from Fiji, etc.

Anyone got any experience of sailing in Fiordland and/or round NZ? Would be keen to circumnavigate NZ and do some decent exploring around Fiordland, but something tells me it might not be a complete piece of piss, despite what my mother seems to think... :roll:

So, any advice? Best places to stop on the way round? Best times to go/avoid? Any good reference material I should consult?? :D

There is no other scenery in Nz quite like Fiordland. Stunning place. Can be a tough one to get to, but that is what makes up part of it's beauty and the fact that hardly no one else is around.

spent 3 weeks down there a few years ago on a boat. Just an awesome place. definately keen to go back. Fishing was rediculous. I recall 5 days without seeing another boat or person, in early jan, going somewhere different each night. And the first people we saw gave us half a dozern cray, in exchage for a loaf of bread.

on the downside, the water was bloody cold, the sandlflies drove you down below late afternoon and it rains a lot.

Some advice frmo me - don't run out of deisel half way down the west coats of the south island in no wind.... :oops:

Some advice frmo me - don't run out of deisel half way down the west coats of the south island in no wind.... :oops:

:lol: Thanks, that's a good 'un.

Yeah the sandflies are something else - I read Captain Cook's log re. Fiordland - sounds like he couldn't handle them either. The rain gets only a cursory mention, after the sandflies. The 40% DEET stuff I use seems to keep them more-or-less at bay though. But probably wouldn't want to use it all day, every day for tooo long. It did strip the 2-pot epoxy in my V-berth after I left the tub upside down overnight... :shock:

You need to apply used engine oil to keep those Fiordland sandflies off ya. :wink:

You can get a heads up as to if you are a target if you listen to the local Airtraffic controll. Those Sandflies are so big, they have to ask for permission to land first.

Drink a tablespoon of kerosene before going ashore (no sh#t, it works), wash taste out of mouth with rum and enjoy a sandfly free trip. Trust me, an old Fiordland trick from way back. You have to stay downwind from the deer if you're hunting. No side effects that I ever noticed.

Rather than drinking kero, can you drink retsina and get the same effect? Retsina is a greek white wine flavoured with pine resin and you can smell a retsina drinker from several metres away. As nasty as it is, its gotta be better than drinking kero.

I can't imagine drinking Kero as being good for you though, surely. Might help if you are slightly "blocked" in the internal plumbing though.

Tend to agree - has to be bad for the organs !

Just the thought of it..!

I would strongly advise people NOT to drink kersosene, nor put it on scratches or cuts. Scratches or minor cuts should be treated by something like betadine ointment or spray, savlon is better than nothing, and better still is a gamma irradiated manuka honey type gauze with a non adherant pad and a cohesive dressing on top - but this last one is for more serious skin tears etc.

we took some sort of vitamin tablets that were suposed to make us smell bad to mozzies. Cant rememebr what it was. Also got told to eat lots of marmite or vegemite?

Vitamin B12, worked well for me up in Queensland many years ago where the mozzies were big enough to grab little kids and fly off with them. Getting stung by one of them was like having a hyperdermic syringe for an elephant shoved in you!

I read that the vitamin theory is just that and don't work. You need to stay there till they get to know you, then they stop stinging. You could also use the old Aboriginal trick used for 40,000 plus years. they covered themselves with fish grease which stoped the bites and also stopped most of the white fellas from taking a fancy.

If you get stung try an anti hystamine tablet crushed and make a mixture with a little water. put it on neat.

Archived