PPG automotive paint

I don't personally know PPG. But I do know someone that used to use automotive paint to "professionally" paint boats and he almost went broke repainting all the problems that occured later on. So my personal opinion is that anyone using auto paint is just asking for trouble. Besides, they are fooling themselvs thinking they are saving money. The paint itself is a very small cost in the overall cost of painting a boat. By far, it is preperation that is the most expensive part of the job.

I don't personally know PPG. But I do know someone that used to use automotive paint to "professionally" paint boats and he almost went broke repainting all the problems that occured later on.

What happened to the paint? I would have thought a car panel would flex more than a boat, They are both in full Sun/UV. Abrasion resistance ?

Wheels I bet there's a whole lot more to that story.

The Car paints are closing the gap with marine paints. Most paint failures are preperation proplems, and or compatibility issues.

Durepox ( a resene automotive primer ) is widely use as a one hit wonder on race yachts. I personally prefer it to epoxy primer

( unless under antifoul )

Cost there's not a lot of difference if your getting proper paint.

Go to Wairau paints and talk to Duncan. The sell all types and will give an unbiased opinion.

PPG is sold through Car Colours in Albany if your on the shore.

If you go back to the red boat campain era you will remember all sorts of paint wows and dramas accross quite a few brands

It depends on the paint, or what the "technology" is. Duropox is an Epoxy based paint and I am pretty sure you need to heat cure that one. Caprithane is a Urathane based paint and is two component. These are just two of the many high peformance based paints you can buy for "Car painting" but also suitable for Boats and most any other similar application. Often found on aircraft as well. I should have been more clear in my earlier post. When I think of Car paints, I think of the "off the shelf" simple Laquer based paints. I think the simple formulae of price is a good respresentative of paint quality. All paint technologies come from Base foundation products that are the same for all across the industries. Such as Epoxy, Urathane, Laquer and so on. Those foundations set the bulk of the price, because all the companies pay pretty much the same for those foundations. Then from there, companies change direction and final costs alter somewhat. For instance, there maybe the companies secret recipie of additives to make the paint perform, protect and last and the one biggy is the base colour pigment and the quality and quantity of it.

Now...I may be wrong here, but I had in the back of my mind that PPG was an off the shelf "Supercheap Auto" car paint and that is cheap and basic and I would not be using it on a boat. In fact I wouldn't use it on a Car myself either, but as cheap paint goes, it's OK as a cheap application. However, it I maybe wrong in it being from Supercheap, so I didn't make that connection earlier. Can someone clarify where it is from please???

Durepox is a modified epoxy urathane, it's a two pot paint and relys on a chemical reaction and not heat. Google is your friend if youve got the time. ppg is a brand name of a paint range, like resene, dulux, ....... there are several two part automotive based paint systems being used ( especially with touch up ) within the marine sector.

The old rule of thumb was your paint would look good for five years. this was fairly true with the early paints which yellowed or dulled.

Now the paints are lasting a lot longer, Fng was painted in 2003 with the epiglass, or international, or axolnoble, or was it altex systems ( all the same company ) epoxy primer, perfection undercoat, then either interspray or intergloss 9000 topcoats. I think its held up very well

Nothing could be worse than the Altec system used on my boat when last repainted by a profesional boat painter...it can't be polished/cut, the adhesion is rubbish and duarability is so so. If I had a paint system that was as good as what is on a 10 year old vehicle I have I would be delighted.

Both car and boat paints are exposed to the same UV etc...if good quality car paints have been developed to a high standard what magic ingredient do the boat paint manufacturers know about that is unknown to car manufactures ?

Car parts are usually sprayed with a dryish coat for the final coat I beleive, this is then baked on in an oven that would probably not do a boat any good

there are a lot of automotive paints that are designed around spray booths and fast turnaround via heat. there are also base coat clear coat types which are common with metalics.

Tell the supplier what you want to do and your inviroment, then they will be able to supply the correct paint.

I use caprithane a lot, and like it enough to say I would paint my own boat or plane with it.

you need to tell the supplier everything, as the wrong thinner choice can change a job from good to bad, we generally need an aggresive one and a longer wet time.

Thats why I like using Wairau - Duncan sails and knows how and what we do.

Lusteroid paints was brought out by PPG so caper thane and Superthane which are both good paints are now PPG.

You can't go past Altex and internationals for proven performance and 95% of paint problems are caused by applicator problems, known by experience.

A friend of mine used to paint his old wooden ketch with house paint (dulux). He reckoned the paint had an elasticity which worked well on the planks as they gave.

I went down to Wairau Paints and spoke to Duncan bafore I did WT. He got me to use De Beer (Automotive) for the yellow topsides and Caprithane on the deck. Then inside I went with a brew of 75% Durepox white/25% Durepox clear.

Really happy with all their advice cause it was all correct and all the paint behaved as they said it would. No runs no orange peel.

Phone 02-10-11 001.jpg

Archived