PPG automotive paint

I think we have to be clear here that paints like Caprithane and all those "thanes" are not what one would call "automotive" paints. They are top shelf top quality paints and can be used for Marine and Aricraft and for those wanting a very high quality auto paint. Typical autopaints are a plain old laquer based paint that are OK for what they are intended for.

I went down to Wairau Paints and spoke to Duncan bafore I did WT. He got me to use De Beer (Automotive) for the yellow topsides and Caprithane on the deck. Then inside I went with a brew of 75% Durepox white/25% Durepox clear.

Really happy with all their advice cause it was all correct and all the paint behaved as they said it would. No runs no orange peel.

How was the Durepox experience WT? Starting to hear a lot of recommendations for that. Obviously you have more skills than the average joker but interested to hear what you started with, how long it took etc.

I went down to Wairau Paints and spoke to Duncan bafore I did WT. He got me to use De Beer (Automotive) for the yellow topsides and Caprithane on the deck. Then inside I went with a brew of 75% Durepox white/25% Durepox clear.

Really happy with all their advice cause it was all correct and all the paint behaved as they said it would. No runs no orange peel.

How was the Durepox experience WT? Starting to hear a lot of recommendations for that. Obviously you have more skills than the average joker but interested to hear what you started with, how long it took etc.

I don't know so much about paint, but have managed to get good advice from a few people. I had 100% Durepox white previously and it marked up quite badly and looked dirty after a couple of months. Mixing the clear into the white turns it into a semi gloss and it doesn't mark so badly. You can't put too much more clear in though or it doesn't cover. Durepox seems to be pretty hard stuff though. Don't breath the fumes though, it's full of a few baddies.

When's launch day for the new WT, WT?

It's the kind of project that will happen in it's own time. I don't have a lot of cash so i'm doing 95% of the work myself. Short of the electrical install which is in progres now, the hull is fitted out and finished. After the electrics it's onto fitting out the new rig. Depending on the container situation we should be in for the Tauranga race. But the boat is looking really nice....

WTa.jpg

WTb.jpg

Outstanding! :thumbup: :clap: Taking bookings for the next project yet?

I'm full up on the project front.....! The boat tent is made out of my future front decking timber. So I have to build the deck when the boat leaves the back yard! Then it's the outside renovation of the house. Sucker for punishment or something...

Yeah, I didn't want another white boat It's actually the same colour as Jive Talkin.

I've changed a bit, but not the keel yet. Caused i've changed to a non-wing, non-rotating mast, moved the rig and the rudder aft 300mm, shortened the boom and gone square on the mainsail, the COE and balance of the boat has probably changed. So I want to sail the boat with the keel where it is, then build a new keel and put it in the right place. Other than that, it's now got a keel stepped rig, longer cant/retracting prod, square transom, round front hatch and the layout is just more modern and better. But the hull is still a 1988. So it's a bit old.

Sounds an impressive set of changes/enhancements which will make the original 1988 date pretty irrelevant.

Last time I was aboard WT, the rotating carbon wing-mast was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread and the way forward..... so I'm interested what has changed and made you go back to a fixed option (you can tell I'm a cruiser not a racer)?

I built the wing at the same time that Southern did the wing for Maximus and also Virbac 2. So the concept was in fashion. In a straight line, tight reaching to beam reaching it was noticably faster. In one coastal we sailed away from the other 8.4's when we had the same sails up tight reaching. Apparently the gain is 5% with a wing. But WT's rig was 600mm shorter than all the other 8.4's which hurt the boat when gennakers were up. The wing was also really hard to depower quickly up wind with no posibility to bend the mast and open the head in the gusts. So we did ALOT of reefing in round the cans racing. So potentially WT is not as fast on some points of sail now with a normal mast. But we will be able to sail at 100% more often than we could with the wing.

Bump will have plenty of competition with Public Image and us up there. The PI guys while possibly not that quick boatspeed wise, are very good sailors so I wouldn't be surprised if they get to the top mark pretty quick.

Want to put a round on the first race, Bump vs. WT?

Want to put a round on the first race, Bump vs. WT?

Dont look at me for that :silent: Have to talk to the older fellas on her :shifty:

Oh yeah. what design is W.T ? Im new to all the keelboats around here, But i do know my way around a boat and learn quickly :P

It's a Jim Young, designed and built in the late 80's. I think there are about 12, 3 left in NZ. They're all a bit different to one another. Most of the Young designs although getting old now have a good hull shape. So with more power and less weight they get along ok.

It's a Jim Young, designed and built in the late 80's. I think there are about 12, 3 left in NZ. They're all a bit different to one another. Most of the Young designs although getting old now have a good hull shape. So with more power and less weight they get along ok.

Ahh I see, So is she the same design as Public Image? Or similar? I get abit confused when it comes to designs :sick:

Archived