Port of Auckland

Battgirl

Well actually I don't give a sh*t about more boat traffic, as long as they don't "reclaim" (steal) more harbour. Coz we use that for sailing, boating, fishing etc.

Ships don't wreck roads, clog up motorways, flatten old ladys in their Toyota Prius's and squash kids on pedestrain crossings.

But trucks do, and how many trucks does it take to unload a cnunting great container ship?

Why would anyone think a container port at the bottom of downtown Auckland, in the middle of an Isthmus is a good idea?

Service Auckland and Northland out of Marsden, and the rest of the country out of Tauranga. If the rail link is inadequate build a better one.

And if you don't agree with that you're probably a lesbian greeny, have a Mt Gay intolerance, or drive a Riviera and no-one cares what you think anyway!

If you disagree tell me at Mahuragi over the weekend, protest fee is a bottle of Gods golden nectar, Mt Gay.

See you there. :D

4 fold increase in containers apparently. Wonder how they plan to get them from the port (and back again) to the de-vanning areas?

New roads? New rail? Massive new trackways/sidings etc?

Could be a big change would be required - might upset some of the wealthy on the hills on the waterfront even more than their views being affected :roll:

Does anyone know if they plan to deepen the shipping lane so that they can bring in the bigger shipping boats? that would suck if they did that and extend the port

perhaps it is time to seriously consider dredging the Manukau

would have to shift the sewer that currently limits vessel movements - something like 3.2m at Chart datum. There is also rock in that area so blasting would be required..... no that might hurt a few fish.

the bar has some 6metres over it - dredging that to 12.5m or more could be a challenge

Why not shift the CBD to the Manukau - land prices are much cheaper and less chance of container ships mucking up the view, would reduce congestion in the CBD, cheaper land means cheaper to put in a rail link / circuit...... lots of benifits?

Guest Crafty 1

I would say that 90% of the goods that arrive in POA aboard containers are trucked to Distribution warehouses out inthe Burbs (Mt Welly, Onehnga, Avondale areas) then distributed aroun Auckland (Back to the city) and the north and south island.

Containers that come into Tauranga are for the BOP/Rotorua/Taupo and maybe as far south as Pnorth Distribution Centres. Wellington Does up to P/north Blah Blah Blah...

Would'nt it be nice if the Dist centres were within the port confines and the port was well away from premium City / harbour land? But we all know that will never happen.

So we are stuck with ports in primo areas and Dist centres spread far and wide and trucking companies making big bucks while destroying and clogging our roads.

Solution?.....

Rail lines, from the port that take Containers to Industrial area Hubs? for Ditribution to Dist Centres?

Move port ?

or.... stop buying imported rubbish and make stuff locally to reduce container arrivals?

Extend port to take more containers and ths load up the roads with more trucks?

what a giant cock up!

The port was close at hand to the stables in the olden days.

With trains and trucks there must be a better location for the eyesore that is the docks.

An a newbie to Auckland I can say the docks detract rather than add to the views.

Surely its a compromise situation that doesn't do anything well?

Having a commercial port right in or next to the CBD, with its attendant transport issues and noise and visual impacts, not to mention the effects on a unique waterway which is integral to Auckland's image and appeal surely isn't ideal from the point of view of a working port, or from the point of view of a city looking to develop its image and make the most of its assets.

I am starting to feel that maybe the port should be no bigger in areal extent and perhaps should condense its operations into a smaller footprint with maybe the bulk of container movements occurring elsewhere.

Marsden, for instance is a perfect deep water port ... it just needs the land transport infrastructure upgrades to allow it to reach its potential (e.g. a friggin rail link to Marsden is a no-brainer).

Guest Crafty 1
. . . So we are stuck with ports in primo areas . . .

Did not the area become a primo area primarily because it had such a good harbour?

M

Its a primo area because of the surrounding environs of which the Port does not contribute to its beauty but distracts from it.

The reason for expansion, i think, is not so much container storage as getting more ships or bigger ships tied up at once. Thus they want longer wharves (extend to the northe) rather than more wharves to the east.

I would say that 90% of the goods that arrive in POA aboard containers are trucked to Distribution warehouses out inthe Burbs (Mt Welly, Onehnga, Avondale areas) then distributed aroun Auckland (Back to the city) and the north and south island.

A good number are trucked direct off the wharf but the rest (the majority I think) are railed to Onehunga. There is a huge yard there at which many are de-vanned (unloaded) and then trucked around the place. Many containers are LCL (less than a container load) i.e. contain many smaller shipments for many consignees in the one box.

Also many Akl bound containers are on ships which actually arrive in Tauranga then are railed to Onehunga also. The last 3 of mine arrived in Tauranga even though all the paperwork says 'Akl'. 1 was due to that's just where the ship goes, the last 2 so as knot to get caught in the PoA strikes. All of those 3 were picked up from Onehunga and taken to a big yard in Mangere, by truck, where my fright people unload them onto a truck which delivers them to us on the shore. We don't have the room or desire to unload them ourselves. The truck that arrives at our place is way smaller and lighter than the truck would be if it had the whole container on it.

Ships don't wreck roads, clog up motorways, flatten old ladys in their Toyota Prius's and squash kids on pedestrain crossings.
But the odd ship can cause 30 million dollars and counting cock-ups. That's a lot of truck cock-ups and pot hole filling ;)

And if you don't agree with that you're probably a lesbian greeny, have a Mt Gay intolerance, or drive a Riviera and no-one cares what you think anyway!
What about a gay Canadian Billionaire and his wannabe Mr World Mussel Man boyfriend who seems to be flirting with roid rage?

From your port your calls facebook page

We've seen a few calls on Facebook and Twitter for boaties to come together for a sailing community protest on anniversary day Monday. Are you a boatie, or do you know someone who'll be on the Waitemata on Monday?

Have you guys been planning something?

Archived