Cost of new Genoa

What could I expect to pay for a new cruising genoa 14 x 6 x 15 mts. Has anyone bought a sail from the offshore suppliers eg Hong Kong ? They seem well set up and lots of recommendations on their websites?

What are you going to do if it doesn't fit, or needs adjustment.

Support our NZ Sailmakers, and get a good job, and customer support.

Evolution sails has always given me 100% quality and service.

Far East sails and Lee sails are 2 that have been arround for yonks, never heard a bad word about them, just make sure you give them all the relevant data, their order forms are very detailed. You "will" get what you ask for, unlike an experience I had with a "NZ" sailmaker who accepted an order for a main with tripple stitching and 3 reefs, turned out a sail with 2 reefs and only 2 rows of stitching, When asked why, he said you don't need 3 reefs or 3 rows of stitching. Needless to say I havn't been back. Roly Tasker works out of Thailand. All the big players have asian lofts. You may find that a sail / sails that you order here are actually cut and sewn and then airfreighted down from the asian loft though some are sewn here.

...bought a cruising main (three reefs and all the stuff from far east)..air freighted to the "door"...

VERY nice work. I went that way becuase I couldnt afford local (but wanted too).

........ :silent: :silent: :silent:

....ahh stuff it....it was a third of the price, and is perfect....

\I know this is not good for the local lofts, but a good second hand sail was being offered localy for more than the sail I bought. I was dubious of course and bought it as a get me going sail.......Nup...its a serious keeper.

$1600 for a delivered / tax payed / full cruising sail that is very well made.....

I spent the other $3k cruising....

ps...I have no proof but a little birdy told me that "some lofts" are buying in from these same overseas lofts...checking the sails and badging and reselling....nothing wrong with that because they then wear the waranty......(but the mark up is healthy)...

...bought a cruising main (three reefs and all the stuff from far east)..air freighted to the "door"...

$1600 for a delivered / tax payed / full cruising sail that is very well made...

What size sail was that Idler?

Do they have a repair or recur facility in NZ or do you have to send them overseas?

It's like anything. The volume NZ sail makers process here is not enough to reduce costs thru better buying power. But surely their parent companies could offset his with the volume they buy.

Seems quality is not an issue.

We got a new genoa of about the dimensions you are talking about from Lidgards. Sail was about 40 something square meters, radial cut solid cruising laminate, hanks so no furling stuff which adds cost. $3,000 flat.

I have spent a lot of time investigating the offshore lofts. Got a number of quotes from Roly Tasker in Thailand. Nothing wrong with the manufacture of sails, if you know how to design one... Do you want it flat cut for pointing, knuckle fronted for power, a wide groove for steering in waves, or a fine groove for twitchy high performance?

A local sail maker will design your sail to your requirements, as above, so I have always paid for that. Removers the risk of getting a well made sail that doesn't do the job you wanted it to.

Lidgards have 25% off right now, advertised on the home page, I think some other lofts had good deals also. Been weeing myself looking at that but have enough sails for now. I have no association other I've bought three sails off them and are happy.

If you want a good priced sail, best to be smart about the spec of cloth you want, that is where most of your cost is. Talk to the local lofts. On all three occasions I've gotten a very good deal on either a cloth special, end of run cloth, or buy out of liquidated cloth stock. Prices to rival the offshore lofts but with the sail designed for your boat and style of sailing.

Example being I got a Kevlar #3, 9 oz double taffeta, indestructible for the same price as a cruising laminate #3 of the same size. Loft had an end of run cloth, I think left over from the 80's, that suited my requirements perfectly.

The local loft knows my eye for a bargain and phone when they have a cloth special come up. I picked up a 1 1/2oz gennaker designed for the boat for the same price as Roly Tasker quoted. No choice on colour, you want to pay another $1,500 to choose blue and white stripes?

Also, there are two named local lofts measuring and designing sails locally that are manufactured by third parties offshore. You pay for the correct design for your boat, draft depth, position etc. they are open about where the sails are manufactured. Still no cheaper than the locally made ones on the quotes I got.

I'd like to talk about sails, sail cloth, sail specifications and the costs of those.

I'm not interested in getting into a deep philosophical pissing match with you about the minimum wage, the Labour Party and the world economony. Infact I'm fairly tired of your general thread drift on this site.

Do you have an opinion on the relative merits of dacron verse cruising laminates and their respective costs?

I feel cruising laminate gives significantly better shape life and longer good performance for a sail at very similar cost to a good quality darcon.

This would be the aspect that would play on my mind: I have heard of a case, probably not that unique, where a headsail was ordered from one of the well-known sailmakers and did not perform to the owner's expectations in a number of ways.

Sailmakers from the loft came out to look at the sail on the boat, agreed that it wasn't up to scratch and made a replacement at no additional cost to the owner.

Personally I would be concerned at how this sort of sequence would play out if dealing with an offshore loft that did not have local representation on the ground in NZ, so for my money, I would rather play it safe and deal with someone that has a permanent presence here and is interested in keeping their customers happy.

Trying to explain what's not working about a sail via email to someone on the other side of the world = :crazy: and probably near impossible.

From time to time, "near new" sails come up through the lofts at discounted prices so the odd one or two must go back for whatever reason.

for you info i would go with Dacron Versus any tafetta, mylar, Carbom laminate for cruising and alway a higher weight cloth than Spec'd.

Your reasoning? Just out of interest

Duration of life span, easy handling, stability of cloth when misshandled, UV durability, and abrasion resistance.... all equals less cost short and long term.

There are some good sails that come out of Asia but there are also a lot of rubbish. The sail really needs to be designed and engineered by someone who is a sailor. A lot of the locally speced sails up there arn't built strong enough to handle NZ conditions.

Archived