Easter Event for the NON Racers

Caught up with Ogre and family, Tim C, AB1974 and his clan and ENine at Woody Bay on Friday night.

We were a couple of hours late after a bit of a detour cruise via Pine Harbor and Rocky Bay but received the Mt Gay for being last across the RC boat (aka as Pork Chop) Thanks David :)

A fun night culminating in some Rolling Stones big screen action on Pulse with Tim (thanks Tim, very cool cat.) and AB1974.

Cheers

EE

post-903-141887199602.jpg

Well, we were at Woody Bay and keen to catch up with everyone, but some bugger stole my dinghy and left us stranded on the boat. Sorry guys.

All we could do was sit there and consume all the freshly smoked kahawai ourselves.

Well, we were at Woody Bay and keen to catch up with everyone, but some bugger stole my dinghy and left us stranded on the boat. Sorry guys.

You serious? From the back of the boat overnight or what?

All we could do was sit there and consume all the freshly smoked kahawai ourselves.

As an aside we caught a big Kawahai on the way to Barrier on Fri and we didn't have my smoker aboard. So for the first time we tentatively filleted it like snapper and lightly fried it in seasoned flour and butter. Weren't sure how it would taste. Verdict? We loved it and preferred it to smoked. And I reckon I preferred it to snapper. So beware Kawahai of the Hauraki Gulf!

As an aside we caught a big Kawahai on the way to Barrier on Fri and we didn't have my smoker aboard. So for the first time we tentatively filleted it like snapper and lightly fried it in seasoned flour and butter. Weren't sure how it would taste. Verdict? We loved it and preferred it to smoked. And I reckon I preferred it to snapper. So beware Kawahai of the Hauraki Gulf!

Kawahai are well know to be carriers of AID's, Hep's A B C and even D, STD's and Festering Squirting with Ulcers 'N Worts Bung Hole disease. They are that bad it's rumored they can actually make you want to sell your yacht and buy a Fizznasty. I wouldn't go near one of those with yours.

AC and Grinna, SHUT THE F**K UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Us more knowledgeable have known for decades Kawahai are far superior to Snappers. Don't go telling everyone or they will change species. Let the unlearned hunt Snapper and in doing that leave the better fish for us ;)

They are also great for dishes that need a more robust flesh as they don't crumble away quite as easy as Snapper when cooking. They are fantastic for a fish curry*, fish cakes and things like that. Or you could pulverise some cornflakes and in that add a little lemon pepper. Dip the fish in egg then that cornflake stuff as a coating then pan fry on a high heat so the coating crisps up while knot over cooking the flesh inside. Nice crispy crust Kahawai... yummy.

They are also a ripper for Sashimi... as most pelagic fish are. Chill the flesh for 30mins odd to make it easier to slice nicely.

* - Super quick fish curry easy peasy boat style - One pack of Trident Hot n Spicy 2 minute pot noodles. Cook as directed in the 'soup mode' rather than straight noodle mode i.e. it leaves more liquid. Just after you have chucked the noodles into cook drop in a pile of chunky cut up Kawahai. Give it all just a couple of minutes on fast simmer and it's done. Try a hand full of peas or whatever else you'd like at the same time. It's a highly flexible dish.

f*ck, now I'm hungry. Bugger!

Nice photo ee.. Boy it's Been tough stuck on land this Easter. Seeing the good ship in a photo and not being on her is pretty farken hard to stomach. But glad one of us is out there!

Just back from oneroa. At least 200 boats in the bay. At least. Have fun team and if anyone sees a raven with mental outlook on it, moon the bugger

We joined the swelling crowd of Crew.org'ers in Mansion Bay yesterday as well. After settling in nicely, the anchor well and truley holding, Cetacia rafted along side us, a smal posie arrived in inflatables to say that is was way to rolly in here and all the crew team are up anchoring and leaving for the far end of Bon Accord. So we set Cetacia adrift and up anchored and followed the procession and went through the exercise again. Hmmmm, maybe the rolling is not an issue, but it sure is blowing down this end. Anyway, great evening with Shanson and his guests aboard.

We also caught two HUGE Kawai the day before. Had a fantastic meal. I already knew they were good eating, having been brought up fishing in Canterbury, Red Cod are the norm and discusting. Kawai was a nice catch when you got it. When we boated in the sounds, I was shocked at the locals that thought Kawai was nothing better than something you feed the dogs with. And that is word for word from one boaters comments. Sure Blue Cod may be nice, but I still didn't think Kawai as being that bad.

Hopefully I will get to know a few more of the crew.org'ers before they head of back to the bigsmoke today.

We are going to hang around and explore this area for the week.

T'was an Ogre who swiped our dink to ferry his crew to the beach, but we were expecting him to swing by on his last trip to pick us up. Our visitors left with their dink and we were stuck. We saw him again when he was ferrying everyone back to the Pork Chop.

Squid phoned "Dial a Plumber" this morning. Apparently stuffed something down the drain that was obviously bigger than the pipe. Shanson came up with a plunger (now that's something I have never thought of carrying on the boat) and a few plunges by Mrs Squid and the pipe was clear again.

We are sitting in Mansion bay slowly watching it empty out of boats.

Stunning day here.

Had a brilliant weekend. Finally felt like a little piece of summer had arrived!

Great to catch up with the Crew guys on Friday night. Won a bottle of rum from Squid for closest to 2pm - thanks Squid. Received rum at 7pm - it didn't make midnight. Almost fell off the dinghy after the 'concert' on the Pulse with Tim and Peter. Feeling seedy Saturday - thanks Squid.

Great couple of days over exploring North Coast of Waiheke with some other friends.

Left Bon Accord this morning for Moturekeke where we caught ourselves a snapper lunch for four. Then the trip back to GH went crazy with another haul of 5 Kawahai - some presents for my parents and I'm about to cook a fish curry a la KM.

A great weekend indeed, the summer we didn't have!

Pork Chop , you'll be pleased to know that we got home after 9pm, wanted to maximise our time away!

Nothing broken, everything worked - sink is clear, we had a ball, hope your adventure went as well.

Stunning Sunny Windless morning here in Mansion bay. Had 10 boats in for night, Dawn started Genset and only two left the bay, darn it. Must try making more smoke with it perhaps. Obviously noise is not enough.

Sweet as, there was a plunger on board in cupboard under the plates... I have a wife too!

Man what a weekend not to be out, and to top it off, we've been delayed until Friday... oh well... glad you had a good time and again sorry boat was a bit of a mess

No worries, Angela gave it a clean, I'm worried about the fish though, was going to pop down later in the week to be sure there wasn't a leftover making a big smell for you. There's a token of our gratitude on the galley bench.

God I hate being back at work.

Archived