which forecast

im doing my usual pre race nervous forecast check but they are all so wildly different i dont know which one to believe. metservice is saying 10knt northerly going 20 gusting 30 this evening, metvuw is saying rain and 10knt nor wester and marine weather is laying 4-7knt nor wester. which do you guys think will be more accurate?

I've been using PredictWind for planning ahead of a weekend, free to sign up and use and has a free app for the iPhone/iPad. Once logged in set up your location and have a look at the forecast tables which show strength and direction by hour http://forecast.predictwind.com/table (or http://www.predictwind.com if that doesn't work).

I'm not sure where they get their feeds from and there are times when its seems as inaccurate as all the other predictions but more (hopefully consistent) info lets you make your own guesses.

I use Predict Wind (pay a subscription) and Metvuw as the two main ones. WindGuru is good as a free iPhone app (also goes out one week using the GFS model).

I find MetService usually too conservative.

metservice is saying 10knt northerly going 20 gusting 30 this evening

If I had $10 for every time I had compromised my plans on the basis of a Metservice 20 gusting 30... :thumbdown: :evil: Discouraging people from being on the water seems to be part of their objective now.

metservice is saying 10knt northerly going 20 gusting 30 this evening

If I had $10 for every time I had compromised my plans on the basis of a Metservice 20 gusting 30... :thumbdown: :evil: Discouraging people from being on the water seems to be part of their objective now.

Agree. They'll never admit it officially but an insider once told me that Metservice deliberately overstate forecast edpecially during peak boating season ie summer.

this is what the metservice are saying for tonight. Does anyone want to take a stab at what it will actually be?

Northeast 20 knots gusting 30 knots, rising to 25 knots gusting 35 knots this afternoon, then easing to northerly 20 knots overnight. Moderate sea becoming rough this afternoon, and moderate again overnight. Poor visibility in showers.

PredictWind is 20knots North / NNE. Metservice might have the right direction but too maybe strong.

Though is 20knots at RNZYS and 24 knots NNE at Bean Rock at the moment. Predict wind were forcastintg 15-17 knots now.

Just beat me to it Oystr. I personally like the 5 day forecasts and the ability to clearly look at the history / trend for wind speed direction. You can get 12 months of Predict wind for $20, so not a great expense for all the info to be in one spot.

Archived