Flags

lebleaux

Was anchored at Motuihe today for a cake day and noticed that some boats were flying a blue ensign, some a white ensign and some a red ensign. All flags were similar - union jack in the top left, flag divided into four quadrants by a cross of some sort but with at least 3 different base colours. I would appreciate it if someone could explain the difference and which one I should be hanging off the back of the yacht. Thanks

What is that Flag the Navy Flies that has verticle Orange and White stripes. I am assuming it is some kind iof a warning, like maybe they have live ordinance. Or ????....

Sadly many of he flags the RNZN flies have a colour that is more orange than red.

The only flags I know of that has red and white verticle stripes are the code or answering pennant

code.gif

and the US naval No 7 flag (it is not a pennnt like the international number pennants.

num7.gif

if I remember correctly

Red Ensign - for any NZ boat

Blue Ensign - only for NZ registered vessels

White Ensign - apart from the Navy I recall Flag offficers from clubs with Royal Warrant (Squadron, Akarana etc) can fly it, maybe modified with the club crest

Officially, the red ensign is the NZ maritime flag. NZ registered vessels may fly the red ensign ... or the blue ensign (standard NZ flag) ... whichever they choose.

Technically, the red ensign is the correct flag.

The white ensign is flown for naval flag officers but we haven't established that's what was being flown and being asked about. It could be the flag of the united tribes. Similarly, the blue flag with the vertical cross on it could be a RNZYS flag.

Archived