GP 26 Is this the next Class Boat

Agent X

Not a local boat unfortunately. This one is happening in Belgium. It's a one off design drawn up by the owner. The plywood/glass/carbon construction is a nice cheap way of doing things, It's an IRC optimised boat and will rate very well with these materials. But won't be blindingly quick on the water. Without the rating consideration she has a lot more potential to be a quick boat.

Man oh man if I had a dollar for every time there was a debate on here over whether "this [insert design here] is the next class boat".

See the red version here for a modern/local racer/crusier with teh benefit of avoiding mooring costs:

http://crew.org.nz/dan-leech/

To the Dan Leech's credit, he is putting his money where his mouth is. As far as I know he's building one of his 6.5's and it will be sailing soon enough. It's pretty hard to sell a rendering.

OK, so I have been doing some asking around and this is what I have found...

I have assumed that the 5% Duty is added to the total cost (less shipping) and added 15% GST to the total bill (including shipping), so my calcs may be slightly out.

The Australian boats will not be affordable for the local market. The price was suddenly $209k without any hardware, running rigging or sails :cry:

The JP Donovan design being produced by Windseeker Yachts in Istanbul look far more promising at USD $53k delivered to Auckland which I calculate as $80k with the above tax/duty, but will still need running rigging, sails and instruments so around $100k in the water. That would be a far more interesting prospect than the Dixon 8 at $130k (but still too pricey for me). It has a complete carbon rig, carbon fin and rudder etc. They say you can save about USD $6k by going for an ali mast, or use a local shop to build a carbon one.

I can get their current demo boat for $70k landed in AKL and would just need the keel hooked up again :mrgreen: Where is that darn Lotto ticket?

Guest mental outlook

That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

W.T. Blackout sold for considerably more than what you have stated, like double I've heard.

I did a bit of sailing on the boat and yes it's a nice boat but new would more like 300k minimum I would imagine. Rumour has it Demonstrator sold recently for around 140k.

Positive Touch is an old boat. I was involved with the boat from the day Aaron purchased it, through it's rebuild and then until Aaron sold it. It's a very quick boat for what it is but it is 30 years old, and it's far from perfect. The best you could do with that is build a new hull and decks and bolt everything else on. Again it is low tech construction, only thing built in black stuff was the mast. It wasn't really cruisable at all. No bunks up forward, quarter berth entry too small to get through, no fridge or even ice box, and the galley was shall we say 'built for the reg's'! More than 10 knots of wind and it fall over with 2 people. We tried a SIMRAD in it, was painful.

The GP26 is built as an offshore boat, it can do Coastal, Tauranga, White Island, Round North Island etc, all the races a sports boat can't do. I would think doing the Fiji race might be stretching it though!

I really hope someone ponies up and buys one... I know I would if I had the tin.

How about this is an alternative:

http://www.biehlmarin.com/mediapool/3/3 ... 2_ver6.pdf

I think they are aiming for 55-60,000 euros all up. Small enough to fit in a container so shipping it here isn't killer. Looks like a pretty simple setup and a good fun, 2mins into the video it looks pretty quick and still well behaved with the frac genni up.

How about this is an alternative:

http://www.biehlmarin.com/mediapool/3/3 ... 2_ver6.pdf

I think they are aiming for 55-60,000 euros all up. Small enough to fit in a container so shipping it here isn't killer. Looks like a pretty simple setup and a good fun, 2mins into the video it looks pretty quick and still well behaved with the frac genni up.

Yeah, that's a cool boat. Looks a little bit more NZ friendly. Although personally I wouldn't be keen on that keel concept. If I was going to do a new hull for WT, it would look like the 27, not the 26.

fully agree with WT, hamish has seen whats on my drawing board, perhaps he's dangling a carrot

Just keeping an eye on what's out there gazza ;-)

Interesting that Seascape 27 and your design both started with some stong influence from the mini 650s but added a bit more space to make the boat a bit more useful. I don't think too many people want to haul a 27ft trailer boat around so no need for the bulbless swinging keel or constraining the max beam.

The keel on the 27 is just butt ugly and looks slow, the polars arent that exceptional either @ 14kts boatspeed in 25kts at 140deg TWA - we can spank that.

Aside from the obvious hull-form differences Greg Elliott was 25 years ahead of his time when he did the 7.4's etc. Its interesting to see how many dimensions and features are identical to my 7.4.

Its definitely better suited to AKL than the GP26with the cruising options but I think they need to work on keel a bit more to make it go better for the money.

770's, 7's, 7.9's 780's and the 7.4 caravans AWOL, thats why I said 7.4's etc. :wink:

They would all give the 27 a run for its money (bar the be-jandaled 7.4s) by the look of those polars.

EE

So is there any scope within the GP26 box rule that would allow for a more friendly interior or is the coach-roof head room the limiting factor? The nice thing about the rule is that you will get boats that can be raced in a fairly fair manner without the fear of the person with the deepest pockets winning everything.

For me, it's not just about going fast (otherwise I would just buy a cat with a wing mast and hydro foils :) ) but it is about going faster, to make the longer distances (Coastal Classic) less of a chore and arrive at the other end while the party is still in full swing and to be able to have close and exhilarating racing without having a third mortgage to do that. The mini 650s would do that too I guess, but I do like sailing with a few mates.

This is the van Munster boat smoking at 24 knots at the end of last year...

The 26's could be marginal in some spots with Cats 3 and upwards. But I'm sure there would be some work-around that could be done but it would mean adding gear and in that sized boat that could make a significant difference to quite a few things like weight and space.

If they were 19% longer the usability factor would increase dramatically and it would open then to all racing everywhere including offshores like Fiji or New Cal. Yes a poorly disused plug for C950's ;)

Gazza, being one of the smarter here when talking this stuff, would you expect a C950 to cost 19% more than a GP26, being 19% longer, or what?

Ha Knot me your a comedian :D it's more like some thing out of the dukes of hazzard 19% of 19% of 19% cue cue cue....

The 19% is a cubed volume increase, but you know how much.

The gp26 rule states min and max measurements. re the cabin it only states a min, so yes you could in theroy chuck a sr26 top on it, but then buy an sr and spend the balance on proper upgrades and youve got a fast boat.

Quite a while back I looked at the costs to build a gp26 55-60k without labour or overheads, sailing, then opted for a 850ish design instead. But I'm broke like the rest of you. I have drawn a gp26 hull.

Infiltrator there is a gp in greece with a more your style cabin.

The 26's could be marginal in some spots with Cats 3 and upwards.

Any specific areas? I have poured through the Safety regs and I don't see that it would take me a heck of a lot to get Infiltrator to the point of getting a cert which tells me that the GP26 would be a doddle.

If I wanted to go to Fiji or similar I would want to go on something with an oven, a decent place to kip and a fridge for beer. Actually maybe go on something that doesn't tip so much so the gin and tonic doesn't spill :lol:

In most of the 30 plus footers I have raced in locally, the main difference between them and Infiltrator is head room :wink: They are just as Spartan and uncomfortable......

The GPs being built in Turkey and Aussie have similar interior layouts to Infiltrator i.e. you only want to be down there long enough to grab a beer from the chilly bin or switch on the nav lights.

Archived