That crackling sound

You know that crackling sound you hear on your boat at night. Is that sound really caused by shrimp? Or are there other things out there that cause it? Some nights the sound is really loud and others not so much.

Your thoughts?

Welllllll.....it all depends on what boat you are on..

see on a Ferro boat it is the concrete under stress from the rusting armature slowly cracking...

On a steel boat it is the fizzing of the anodes as the wayward electrical current eats them at rate that will have your hull like swiss cheese in two weeks....

On a wooden boat it is the toredo worms chewing through the planks and shitting little bits back out....

and on plastice boats its the sound of osmosis blisters bursting...

and on ally boats, it is the sound of the ring pull, being pulled......

(all of these I have heard for real from well meaning people..)

Which means that its only on alien space craft that it could be a tiny form of shrimp, which has a lot of differant varieties and is found in many places across the world.....who depending on water tempreture and location can make the noise either seasonaly or all year round..

shrimp ? huh...who could make up such a silly story :D

Nah they want you to think it's shrimp, but really it's the Hull :wink:

I don't think it is just shrimp, but all manner of marine life. Mussles and molliscs etc all snapping shut. It must be deafning down there to a fish.

Dang, two others already beeat me to it.

Hey wheels I got told that it was my now sold ferro boat shitting itself so many times that in the end I just played along to see how far the : experts" would go...... :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: First time I heard it I thought I had an electrical fault. I still get sh*t about it.

Now when I hear it I know its going to be a good night sleep ...... I miss it when I'm back on land.

:lol: :lol: :lol: First time I heard it I thought I had an electrical fault. I still get sh*t about it.

Now when I hear it I know its going to be a good night sleep ...... I miss it when I'm back on land.

:clap: classic

I have always had wooden boats and thaught it was the sound of the salt getting into the wood or the anti foul dissolving

It's definitely louder on those calm still nights

When you hear the noise , try sticking a spotty over the side...be patient. Sometimes you will start to see tiny shrimp going mad...after a while this frenzy can build with other little fish coming in...bit by bit it can esculate as the next size predator ...and then the next moves in....the bigger ones stay just at the edge of the shadow line of the spot and then dart across the beam....

Might sound a little odd watching fishies eat each other, but it is very entertaining and quite amazing to see the size progression over a pieriod of time. The real marine world.

If its a wood boat then it's probably just the borer holding hands and having a sing along but you want to watch it if they stop holding hands..... :lol:

I have heard it heaps around the Gulf, but not really around here.

Mind you, so far we have only slept on the boat in strong tidal streams.

I always thought it was the wee critters on the sea floor. You don't hear it at night while under way. It seems loudest in the marina's where there is so much wildlife all around on the piers.

Hmm - I shall investigate next time we are at anchor. We don't seem to get the phosphorescence down here like you do in the Gulf. . .

M

Pistol Shrimp are native to the tropical waters of the Indo-Pacific and the western pacific regions around Baja California mostly inhabiting caves, bay or lagoons present on rubble at the bottom.

:?:

The NZ genus is Alpheus and yeah, they're a snapping shrimp.

They originate in the Andromeda galaxy and they've travelled to Earth as part of an intergalactic experiment to see if humans can be turned insane by persistant and unusual biological noise. Cicadas are fellow experimenters but they're from the Horsehead Nebula. :wink:

The NZ genus is Alpheus and yeah, they're a snapping shrimp.

They originate in the Andromeda galaxy and they've travelled to Earth as part of an intergalactic experiment to see if humans can be turned insane by persistant and unusual biological noise. Cicadas are fellow experimenters but they're from the Horsehead Nebula. :wink:

:D Thanks Grinna. The voice of knowledge is appreciated. I will be sure to disseminate that. :wink:

I used to think it was the shrimps until I could still heard the cracking sounds back home in bed. :think:

Worm tablets fixed that though. :thumbup:

Archived