Antifoul

Megwyn

Technically, in-water cleaning of boats is an unauthorised discharge of contaminants to the marine environment. Ablative paints, by their very nature, are a continuous discharge of contaminants .... so what's the difference? I'd suggest that there is little to no practical difference between a finite film of paint being washed off the boat in smaller increments over a longer time period or with periodic bursts of washing. Its still the same amount of antifouling paint.

Sounds like someone at the Regional Council being a bit of a dick .... especially when Biosecurity are constantly reminding boaties to keep their boats clean.

Agreed Grinna

I have to keep my babies bum clean. To do this I need to wipe her bum every couple of weeks, or it gets a covering of slime on it that seems to grow into tendrils of algae when left only 4 weeks. But I am not allowed to wipe same said growth off her bum? WTF?

Altex #5 and Metalex.

Oh I do hope that is a tongue in check joke.

Hempel Olympic is a very good paint and I highly reccomend it. Applied correctly, you can get 36 months service from it. It is an ablative paint, but has a fibre in it which controls the erosion rate and ensures a very "polished" surface. After about 18months, the bottom will get dirty when the boat has been sitting on a mooring but once you get underway, it cleans up real fast.

I swear by Micron 66. It is very easy to keep clean.

It self cleans the best of the one's I have used.

it has lasted very well.

BUT it is no good in the mix of fresh/salt water for what ever reason and it is quite soft so wouldn't be good to beach.

I also used Ultra which is Hard antifoul.

That stands up to a good scrubbing but doesn't self clean like the Micron 66.

It also doesn't stay as clean as long.

But that could be due to my location.

You should phone Brent Gribble from Akzo Nobel on 0274 790 708. He will know what will work best for you in your location.

Gooday 'T-W'. Can someone over there - contact Brent Gribble directly & ask - coax him to come in here & sort this out - to a great extent. PLEASE Whilst a lot of what has been said in correct - it's only partially correct - lots of not so correct info can be misleading. Megsie - pay attention to everyone but read what 'wheels-team' has to say at least twice. HELP we need Brent - in here. Important matter to remember is; if you don't move the boat - marine growth will happen fast - rocks grow more barni's than fish - Yes/No ??

T-W is right - it's a great antifouling - however - might be made better by adding - tetracycline - & over-coating with 'teflon' - & quicker by1 to 3% - I'll put my money down now - Ciao, james

Bull Dust, Blithering idiots! best way to get crap information is to ask boaties about antifoul. every single one will have a different answer.

The best proven way to keep the hull of a boat clean is to remove it from a marine environment!

Call Adrian at Akzo Noble when he gets back from holiday. he is a mine of information.

Micron66 is bloody expensive, bloody hard to put on and BLOODY fantastic!!

100 microns applied equals 1 year.

Everything else I have tried has silted up after two to three weeks and silt is the enemy.

100 microns applied equals 1 year..

On the right track, 300 microns will last a year. 100 microns is achievable with 1 brushed or rollered on coat. 300 by airless spray.

I see there is also a Hempel Olympic - hard to tell what it is from the add but I think it is an ablative.

Any one know anything about HO?

M

Without saying too much we are waiting for a satisfactory response from Hempel regarding performance of their Olympic (ablative) product. I have recommended they send a rep to see our bottom job after a year but have not had a reply yet. Emails sent to the NZ agent have been replied to from Australia. I will wait a bit longer to allow them to take action before I post photos.

On the right track, 300 microns will last a year. 100 microns is achievable with 1 brushed or rollered on coat. 300 by airless spray.

The master has spoken, I sit corrected, I didn't listen (nothing new there) Thanks Matty will 66 work in Megs estury?

Agreed Grinna

I have to keep my babies bum clean. To do this I need to wipe her bum every couple of weeks, or it gets a covering of slime on it that seems to grow into tendrils of algae when left only 4 weeks. But I am not allowed to wipe same said growth off her bum? WTF?

if you are going to wipe every few weeks anyway the coppercoat is ideal/ after 2 months in the Tamaki river it has a slime coat and a few tiny barnacles that fall off with a broom or brush

but when you are scrubbing you are not removing the coating, I would consider buying 1 can of it as a trial, cost for your whole boat may be around 800 or more so it is easy to take the cheaper options which should last at least a year anyway. Would be nice if the home made copper epoxy recipes would work but it seems you need water soluble epoxy, does anyone know if that is available anywhere?

Whitianga would be very similar to Pio.

Does SD have M66 on her bottom?

M

Whitianga would be very similar to Pio.

Does SD have M66 on her bottom?

M

not anymore, the 66 didn't like the amount of fresh water. the Micron Extra is the paint of choice at the moment, the growth that gets on there is incredibly easy to get off.

Depends on many things, different for every boat.

2 boats close to each other could have the same product on but one has more success than the other.

Micron extra is an ablative antifouling paint so it gets soft in the water and ablates off with friction.

Micron 66 is a self polishing antifouling so it reacts with the saltwater and chemically ablates.

We are picking the new cat up this weekend. She needs an antifoul.

Tempted to try coppercoat. We can beach her for a clean and no need to come out of the water regularly as not much below the waterline.

Based on above comments micron 66 not being to good on boats that get beached, and the coppercoat agents claims the slime will come off at 12-14 knots, it seems to make some sense.

Anyone had experience with coppercoat. Is it worth the $$?

Tempted to try coppercoat. We can beach her for a clean and no need to come out of the water regularly as not much below the waterline.

Based on above comments micron 66 not being to good on boats that get beached, and the coppercoat agents claims the slime will come off at 12-14 knots, it seems to make some sense.

Anyone had experience with coppercoat. Is it worth the $$?

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Congrats ....see you out there ... what's the name of the boat..?

megwyn, me being a little confused, which is not uncommon, so just exactly what are you wanting out of the Anti-foul. I went back and re read your initial post.

So the boat does about 8kt?

It gets to sit on a beach at times?

It gets slime on it in the Estury?

A further question, how was it applied last time and how many coats?

Hi Wheels

We need an antifoul that can handle being beached. So I guess it has to be some sort of hard AF. She sits in an estuary, just above the hard at dead low, which would be mainly fresh water, but with salty+++ at full tide.

The slime needs to be removed regularly - I was not sure if this is an estuary thing or not. . .

I have no idea how it was applied last time, as she came as she is.

RO averages around 8kt - going by our history since we bought her - top speed so far of 19.5kt, regularly over 10kt.

We are endeavoring to make a carefully judged investment that will last as long as possible. Pedro painted her hulls in Nov last year, and it needs doing again, we are looking for an option that does not require annual painting.

Regular wiping is not normally a problem, and something we plan to do every second week, but we have got behind in the last month due to work pressures.

Does hard AF allow for regular wiping? Or is it only the ablative ones that allow that? We are very new to moored boat ownership, having only owned trailered yachts until now.

Thanks for everyones considered replies - I will gather all the information, discuss same, then make a decision.

M

If you have not spoken with the different paint reps I suggest you do.

I did - made the decision, what the Alyex guy told me proved true - their system worked for my boat.

Unfortunately your situation is very different to what I have experience with.

Archived