Interview with Rob Saw

I am pleased to announce that Crew.org will be interviewing Rob Shaw about shaw yacht designs, his sailing plans in the future and what ever you would like to ask him. Like previous interviews if you would like to ask Rob a question just post a comment below and either myself or David will post the interview next month.

If you dont know anything about Shaw Yacht Designs you can check their website out here as im sure some of you will have questions about his designs http://www.shawyachtdesign.com/SYDmenu.html

What prompted you to approach the sportboat philosophy from the complete other end of the spectrum i.e. a big dinghy rather than small keel boat?

I'd like to hear Rob speak on the performance benefits and other advantages and disadvantages of canting keels. Karma Police is pretty darn impressive upwind and certainly smokes off wind.

second that

Canting v waterballast or is a bit of both even better?

If considering a new build.

What sort of additional factor as a cost of ownership would either option add as a percentage to the actual costs of running the boat?

Which in your opinion as a cost of ownership would (generally speaking because I know every boat is different) give a better return on the investment.

Is there a cutoff in terms of capital cost vs length of boat where canting does not make any sense given expense?

Is there a length/weight that gives you the best result?.... for example I would imagine that length of a VOR boat and the scantlings associated with off shore survivability mean that a 40 ft canter doing coastal work mainly may have a better power to weight ratio?

What are your preferences regarding canting mechanisms- manual, hydraulic, electro mechanical or is that dependant of more upon boat length, geometry and the room available for various systems? Cheers in advance :thumbup:

A few years ago, Rob was making noises about a world speed record or C-class cat project. With wing sails now largely de-mistyfied are either of these projects on the horizon?

If you were going to rebuild a revised version of Karma Police what would you do differently?

A few years back YNZ now ran a competition for a new national one design class. If you were comissioned to design a new "national class boat" what size and what design elements would you run with and why?

Well after trying to catch up with Rob for several weeks nothing has been able to be manifested as he is very busy at the moment. I am going to flick him the questions tomorrow night so hopefully youll be able to see the result by the end of the month :D

Archived