If we could pass one thing on to powerboaters......

Powerboat Training

Hi all,

I am aware that there is a bit of upset between the powerboat and yachtie community. I sail myself, but my bread and butter is power.

If there was one thing you could ask us to teach all the powerboaters who come on our courses, what would it be?

I am all for working together and we encourage respect between the two communities.

So what is your biggest issue with Powerboaters? Please try to resist the urge to have a rant, just really looking for constructive dialogue.

Cheers

Andrew

Wash wash wash - respect other boats and dont create large wash close to other boats particularly in channels and in anchorages.

Agreed, the biggest issue is them passing too close at high speeds and a variation of that is speed while heading out of anchorages or almost on the plane which of course kicks up the biggest wake. I think this would annoy any boaties at anchor, not just yachties.

This comes down to awareness of the effect their boat(ing) has on others around them.

Wash wash wash - respect other boats and dont create large wash close to other boats particularly in channels and in anchorages.

Agreed.

Also point out to them that vessels sailing are allowed to go faster than 12knots in Akl harbour as the speed restrition only applies to power boats. Suggest to the power boaters that if they want to go faster than 12knots on the Waitemata harbour that they should go sailing....

The price of oil is going up,they are about to become extinct?

The only real medical emergency I have ever had to deal with on a boat was the direct result of a powerboat wake (caused a pot of boiling pasta to be dropped on my girlfriends leg).

Wake is indeed the biggy. Power boaters are either oblivious to it or plain ignorant of others.

While on that subject, the big Police boat came up my way today. They didn't slow down till way to late and man what a roll they created. I was down working in the engine room and I had stuff go everywhere.

I've had the Hawk go past at speed app 50 to 100 metres off the beam, and start to cut across my stern, they started to come turn back when they thought I was giving them the fingers, I was trying to indicate that I had a line trolling of the stern. they resumed their course when I waved the rod at them, didn't slow though. I wonder if the 5 knot speed is not necessarily the best as many powerboats make less wake when on the plane than when they are trying to adhere to the rule?

Tell them not to head straight for the pretty yacht sailing to wave hello :wave: they will not get one back. Maybe an empty beer bottle :evil:

Slow down BEFORE entering a bay. What's the hurry anyway.

5knots within 50 meters

Learn how to anchor properly

Be aware of what effect your wake has on those around you. It can be very dangerious.

Maybe put then in a small 20 foot yacht and take them for a sail down the harbour. Then get a couple of 60ft rivs to cruise up and down :thumbup:

Some times 5kts is to fast with some launches

on a side note the ex brother in-laws boat (45 ft power cat) did 7 kts with the motors at idle he use to drop it in to and out of gear to keep to a sensible speed :thumbup:

The worst I came across was a Coastguard RIB doing at least 25 knots about 8 metres off port side of Minaret. Whangarei harbour by North Port wharfs.

No emergency as such, just a boat at 3 mile reef with a flat battery in perfect weather conditions.

I heard the call for assistance on the VHF.

The 5 knot rule when close to other boats must be just for peasants.

As for stuff being thrown around inside by wakes, hard to beat them Waiheke ferries.

NO MORE THAN 5 KNTS WITHIN 50M OF ANOTHER VESSEL.

yes I'm yelling. Why oh why when you have the whole bay available (eg from Tiri to Kawau) do they have to fly by at top speed within 25m?

Don't know how it works in NZed, but in Gringoland boat owners are legally liable for damage caused by their wake/wash. That said, many power boaters (including many gummint boat operators) seem blissfully unaware of this . . A few years back a local ferry company had to write a good-sized check for the damage caused by one of their craft.

Here's a discussion of the issue from a US boating blog . . :wave:

The operator of a vessel is responsible for damage caused by their wake. This isn't a recent innovation aimed at wakeboard or ski boats- it's a long-established concept- covered in boating courses & state regulations going back years. Just two examples:

From the Georgia Safe Boating Handbook:

"These dangerous operating practices are illegal in Georgia:

...Causing damage from the wake of your boat or PWC "

From the NY State Boaters Guide:

"A vessel operator is always responsible for any damage

caused by the vessel’s wake."

In addition, many states have adopted "100-foot" rules- which prohibit operating a vessel above idle speed within 100 feet of an inhabited shoreline, anchored vessel, dock or other permanent structure, etc. However even if you're more than 100 fee away, you're still responsible if your wake causes damage to someone's property...

I wonder if the 5 knot speed is not necessarily the best as many powerboats make less wake when on the plane than when they are trying to adhere to the rule?

The important point is for the boat owner to understand their own boat, or in other words, wake it produces. For some boat designs, wake can be a bigger issue at slower speeds. But also remember that higher speeds means a less obvious wake simply has more power in it. What they also need to understand is that the distance away from another vessel does not result in a smaller wake hitting the other vessel. there is often little difference in wake energy at 25, 50 or 100m. But what the distance gives us other boats, is time and sea room to respond to the on coming wake. We can turn into it or at least warn ones below that a big wake is coming.

The biggie for me other than the wake in the bay thing is the following.

Your relative bearing is remaining constant over time.

They are the giveaway vessel.

They alter course to pass..... In front of you....

WTF :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Tell them not to head straight for the pretty yacht sailing to wave hello :wave: they will not get one back. Maybe an empty beer bottle :evil:

Slow down BEFORE entering a bay. What's the hurry anyway.

5knots within 50 meters

Learn how to anchor properly

Be aware of what effect your wake has on those around you. It can be very dangerious.

Maybe put then in a small 20 foot yacht and take them for a sail down the harbour. Then get a couple of 60ft rivs to cruise up and down :thumbup:

Exactly what Royale says.

Interestingly he mentions anchoring, that was something very high on my list, some are total shockers and while still being good people just have no idea. We see it a lot at work and while out there boating. It does cause some powerboats reasonable concern they can't get the boat to stop in one place for a while but it seems many don't do much more than ask a mate, who themselves could also be issue ridden.

Boat anchoring itself and anchoring etiquette. Just cause you have a 50fter that doesn't mean you an anchor on top of a 30fter.

Wash has been done.

Aside from that my biggest bugbear is clear intentions. I'm sailing along at 6kts and a planing hull is heading towards me at 25kts. The guy steerring the launch might have seen me and know what he is going to do but I don't know that - sometimes until I get sufficiently worried to take evasive action - which I probably shouldn't do as stand on vessel.

So make your intended course change early and clear - to save everyone's nerves.

- sometimes until I get sufficiently worried to take evasive action - which I probably shouldn't do as stand on vessel.

So make your intended course change early and clear - to save everyone's nerves.

You have every right to take action if you believe you need to to avoid a collision - even when the stand on vessel.

22.17 Action by stand-on vessel

(1) If one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other must keep its course and speed.

(2) As soon as it becomes apparent to the stand-on vessel that the vessel required to give way is not taking appropriate action in compliance with this Part -

(a) it may take action to avoid collision by its manoeuvre alone; and

(B) if it is a power-driven vessel in a crossing situation, if the circumstances of the case allow, it must not alter course to port for a vessel on its own port side.

(3) When, from any cause, the stand-on vessel finds itself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give-way vessel alone, it must take whatever action will best avoid collision.

(4) This rule does not relieve the give-way vessel of its obligation to keep out of the way.

Rigger, agree but it's a question of timing. If you are stand-on but start to take evasive action earlier than necssary you could be accused of causing a problem yourself. But leave it too late and, well, it's too late to avoid a collision.

But when a 25kts planing launch is bearing down on you, what is the cut-off between too early and too late? In other words, the window to make a decision to either sit tight or change course could be very narrow, just a few seconds.

Archived