Walking around the GUlf

We are having a Christmas cruise this year. Over the last year Angela and I have been going for "walks" . We have done some really good ones Tawharanui, Shakespeare, Mahurangi, Okura river.

So we were thinking to try and incorporate some walks with our summer cruising

Question is: where are some good walks that are accessible by boat. Example would be start at Waikalabubu(sp?) and hike around Motutapu.

What others are there? 1-4 hours is about right.

Weather permitting - Tiri Tiri

East end of Waiheke - Stoney Batter

Kawau Island - heaps of walks, one of is Mansion House to Copper Mine

Port Fitzroy - lots, slighty longer ones include Mt Hobson, can be done in less than 4hrs but it is a run not walk then,

All of the above but make a special effort to get to Rotoroa - fantastic what they've done/are doing there.

Plus, whatever direction the wind is coming from it's only 5 minutes from one side to the other for a swim.

You can walk to Stoney Batter from Hooks Bay no problem - there is a marked track starting from the left end of the main beach. Google it DOC site I think - it is the quickest route from a boat.

Lots of good walks around Rocky Bay and other nearby bays on Waiheke - google on Auckland council site.

Mt Hobson from Kaiarara past the Kauri Dam and back via South Fork track is my favourite - takes about 5-6 hours though (pick a nice day for the views) - the dam and return is about half that.

Tiri is great if weather settled

Not done it myself but keen to try a walk with a bit of a difference at the Mokohinaus. You really need to pick a settled day and do a daysail to/from Gt Barrier but apparently well worth it including some challenging climb/walk bits and some of those vent holes at the top of the limestone cliffs that go 'whoosh' when the waves come in. Only hazard is you can stick your ankle into the same vent holes hidden amongst the long grass clumbs. Like I said, a bit of a difference to the usual coastal footpath and I'd like to try it next time I'm out that way weather permitting.

Did that years ago when Ray Walters ( I think that is his name) was the light house keeper. he built a kauri launch up there using timber from one of the houses and was going to slide it down the rather steep railway but in the end I think an Iroquois dropped it in the water. It is great walking up to the light house on Burgess. Like you say you need good weather. I think all the other islands are landing prohibited.

Thanks everyone - plenty to dream about ther.

The last post brings up another question, where do you get comprehensive info on which islands are parks, private, where you can go ashore and not piss off the locals, owners etc?

RAYC cruising guide is a must as a starting point.

Then doc and ARC or whatever they are called now also have maps with tracks and do's and don'ts

I wouldn't be a mean as to remove an excuse to visit your new found bundle of joy :D but I would recommend having a copy for both home and on the boat. I use the one at home for planning the next adventure and the one on the boat for options when I'm out there. IMHO It's a must have for a cruiser.

BTW Congrats on your new member of the family. She looks fast, attractive and comfortable all at the same time. Any chance of some more pictures?

Two copies is probably a worthy investment.

I think i've posted all the photos I have, plus John B had some I hadn't seen. We are busy at work again but hoping to schedule a day or 3 mid week next month for our next visit, I'll try to remember a camera.

Archived