Boat TV aerials

tuffyluffy

The cruising purists may scoff, but Im going to install a small 12 volt digital LED TV on the boat for when I’m onboard for extended periods.

Currently in my apartment I use rabbit ears as an antenna and they work fine, hence I was thinking the same for the boat, or one of the small car TV aerials such as this . . .

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-12V-Car- ... 1e743964a3

Any opinions out there?

What do others use?

How well do they work?

Any dos and don’ts?

Any feedback much appreciated.

TL

The cruising purists may scoff, but Im going to install a small 12 volt digital LED TV

No....I think LED is the best choice due to the lowest power consumption. :wink:

The more serious point though TL, is these kind of arials have the lowest signal receiving ability, or "Gain". So it depends on where you are going to want to watch TV and the signal coverage around the Gulf. The next step up is to go for one of the units that have a signal amplifier.

The next step up is to go for one of the units that have a signal amplifier.

The change to DVB-T is going to cause loads of trouble as the signal is VERY hit or miss. Amps work so long as there is nothing transmitting close to the 800mhz band (like PC's etc) which the amp also amplifies!

My suggestion is a CO LINEAR stacked array cut to the desired frequency. Easily made from COAX (core to shield connection). Plans on the net. The only problem is that terrestrial DVB is horizontal polarized so you would need to counter balance the array horizontally but DO NOT fall for those wonderful you beaut small super "high gain" L.V.Martin type antennas, you will be very dissapointed

No. vertically polarised 360 degrees but horizontal 180 degrees. Directional really is the only way to go as it maximises the gain and front to back ratio. The only problem with a yagi is when the tide changes!! (its pointing the wrong way..) a colinear uses many "stacked" arrays (out of phase) so lower angle of "radiation" which maximises the gain over a 360 degree range

No. vertically polarised 360 degrees but horizontal 180 degrees. Directional really is the only way to go as it maximises the gain and front to back ratio. The only problem with a yagi is when the tide changes!! (its pointing the wrong way..) a colinear uses many "stacked" arrays (out of phase) so lower angle of "radiation" which maximises the gain over a 360 degree range

que.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys, and thanks Ogre for deleteing our friendly PITA.

The info is great, but err, as OSTYR put it, possibly a bit too technical for my requirements. If i have to spend more than 30 mins installing an aerial, it aint gonna happen. I take your point on the amplifier thingy Wheels, ive just got to find a resonable unit on the web that will work for an antenna retard.

I’m not after pristine coverage all around the coast, but more decent coverage at the marina, and hopefully around the gulf. If it works in more remote areas that would be great, but I’m not too fussed. At this stage I’m thinking anything small and permanent isn’t the way to go, but rather something mid-sized and amplified that can be put on deck at anchor or at the marina, but easily unplugged and stowed when underway.

Does anyone know of such a gizmo antenna?

Our boat has a TV , the old owner says there is an aerial for it in a locker somewhere. I haven't looked coz I wasn't that interested. I'll be up there in a couple of weeks and will see if I can find it.

Just cos Ogre has it doesn't mean he'll turn it on. :)

:crazy: Of course not - Ogre is the model of self control and frugal living. He would NEVER turn on a TV while cruising.

He he - Just thought it was rather funny his new yacht has a TV at all! I can just see him sitting there in front of it, in his luxurious salon, with the TV turned off, just looking at a blank screen . . .

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the feedback guys, and thanks Ogre for deleteing our friendly PITA.

The info is great, but err, as OSTYR put it, possibly a bit too technical for my requirements. If i have to spend more than 30 mins installing an aerial, it aint gonna happen. I take your point on the amplifier thingy Wheels, ive just got to find a resonable unit on the web that will work for an antenna retard.

I’m not after pristine coverage all around the coast, but more decent coverage at the marina, and hopefully around the gulf. If it works in more remote areas that would be great, but I’m not too fussed. At this stage I’m thinking anything small and permanent isn’t the way to go, but rather something mid-sized and amplified that can be put on deck at anchor or at the marina, but easily unplugged and stowed when underway.

Does anyone know of such a gizmo antenna?

Assuming you want to receive Freeview over UHF - take a look at something like this. It has an amplifier built in and is designed for marine environments.

http://www.pacificaerials.co.nz/MarineProducts/P8021VHFUHFTVantennaandinstallationkit.aspx

You will pretty much need to be able to see the transmitter (line of sight) for it to work properly and there will need to be UHF coverage (duh?). If you are expecting to watch TV out in a remote bay somewhere you may want to look at a satellite receiver.

Rude barstards.

We really enjoy movies. On the next trip we'll take a dvd and watch it and see how many amps it eats.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You can also have a slide show of all your favourite pictures :wink:

Assuming you want to receive Freeview over UHF - take a look at something like this. It has an amplifier built in and is designed for marine environments.

http://www.pacificaerials.co.nz/MarineProducts/P8021VHFUHFTVantennaandinstallationkit.aspx

You will pretty much need to be able to see the transmitter (line of sight) for it to work properly and there will need to be UHF coverage (duh?). If you are expecting to watch TV out in a remote bay somewhere you may want to look at a satellite receiver.

Cheers F, that looks like the business. :thumbup:

I'll give em a call next week

....I have a flat screen tv. (12v and 240).

I dont bother at sea , but I also have a 12v dvd player so could watch movies if I wanted.

My Ubeaut antenae is ......a $2 dollar shop set of rabits ears.

I clamp it to the cap shroud with a plastic clamp and get better reception than the $400 marine jobs. That is because it IS directional. We only watch tv when tied up along side so directional stability is not a problem.

In a new place I just look at the roofs of the nearest houses and copy their tv antenaes general direction.....press "find"....and the tv does the rest.....hey presto...the same crap with the same clarity....

Archived