Ninja update on the Multihull Site

Clive

You would be pretty disappointed if you owned the ninger.

Can't be good for the designer or the design.

Seams they are way out of there league, a good lesson learnt hopefully.

Na... it's a great boat and good design. sh*t happens... sometimes a bit earlier than you had hoped... look at the AC45's.

What an almost total load of crap Motorboy.

The owners are not thrilled at tipping over but they are with every other aspect so far.

What does it say about the designer or the design exactly other than its got enough sail to tip over if pushed and/or the owners have the nads to push it that hard?

How do you know they are out of their league?

On what basis can you make a statement like that?

You're talking about some very experienced yachties there, Motorboy.

What exactly is it that qualifies you to comment in this way?

Hi Tim, Yes these guys are good yachties but have little exsperiance in multihulls, maybe a short stint in a GBE, as you know these boats arent forgiving as they found out. So yes i think they are out of there depth. The extreme 40 and Tigra pulled the pin maybe they should have too.

Im sure its a good design but if i was a designer and my design tipped over in the first few outings i would be dissapointed.

Happy sailing.

Hi Motorboy,

I am the designer and I am very happy with the boat and the way the guys have put her together and begun to get to grips with her. Just because it does not meet your criteria for a boat that you might have, does not mean that everybody else is disappointed with it.

I have to say that like many who post on here you would be better served if you did your homework first. Rodney helmed a 115ft catamaran across the North Atlantic and set the World record for the highest 24hr run in both a multihull and in a monohull, having been a helmsman on the Volvo 60 SEB when she set the 24hr record in the Southern Ocean - rightly claiming to be one of the fastest sailors on the planet at that time. And yes Rodney and Bart have subsequently owned and raced their own GBE and raced as crew on other 8.5s.

Just because you are ignorant does not make him or his fellow owners ignorant or incompetent.

The boat was designed and built in the full knowledge that it would likely tip over, and do so rather regularly until they got the hang of it. That is why they have all the safety gear and are followed around the harbour by a fully equipped chase boat. As Rodney said to me last night, "It wont be the last time we do it!"

All involved are very pleased with the result to date.

What an almost total load of crap Motorboy.

The owners are not thrilled at tipping over but they are with every other aspect so far.

What does it say about the designer or the design exactly other than its got enough sail to tip over if pushed and/or the owners have the nads to push it that hard?

How do you know they are out of their league?

On what basis can you make a statement like that?

You're talking about some very experienced yachties there, Motorboy.

What exactly is it that qualifies you to comment in this way?

+1

How many of the multis to have flipped in our fleet have recovered their vessel using their own resources? Not many I'm guessing. These guys are very aware of what they are up to and are much more prepared for the consequences of high performance multi sailing than most out there. I think the boards might be tied on next time though!

excellent update

pity about the lost dagger

gotta be about 2 or 3 mtr long and 1/2 mtr wide?

should wash up somewhere and can end up a spare

$500 reward posters put up at public beaches and boat ramps???

You armchair 8.5 sailors..

You guys in the 8.5s are only just starting to get powered up in that breeze, with twice the weight and half the sail area.

This type of wicked upness like on ninja is awsome. I recon you guys giving them a hard time even with "all your 8.5 multi experience " might take a season or two to get to grips with the lots on scenario and how and when you can open up the throttle. I am no expert by a long way but love it that they are here and into it.

It's a cool boat for sure. I for one, welcome them to the ever growing open multi fleet.

I am sure even with their massive Yachting experience they will love the thrills and spills and new challanges that this type of all out boat will provide.. Cheers.

Only one knocker in this thread "motorboy" - I don't know if he's associated with an 8.5 but most posts from people who are in 8.5's have been supportive. If you think an 8.5 is somehow not powered up in 33 knots then you're full of it.

I say well done to the ninja boys. It is refreshing to see people pushing the boundaries. They have a big learning curve on how the boat will handle and respond to different conditions and they learn't one on wednesday night (tie the centre boards to the boat). There are still more of these extreme machines to appear on the harbour yet and I for one look forward to seeing them out there sending it.

What makes NZ sailors some of the most sort after and best sailors in the world is the knowledge they gain from sailing on the edge. For ye naysayers out there, will you watch the next AC for the gentlemanly like sailing or the fast close action and possible thrills and spills. For me it will be the latter.

I may be wrong, but the way I read Motorboys comment about the design was not an attack at the design or designer but rather a statement on how a design or designer can have there good work tarnished by the mistakes of owners. (p.s. i'm not suggesting any error in sailing occurred here just the way i read his comment)

we all know great boat designs have been ruined by owners before they even hit the water for numerous reasons. For example the designer starts with a brief that states the owner wants a full blown race boat "i don't care about IRC" then start on the build and owner decide carbon is to expensive change to glass, half way through build decide some extra head room below would be nice, oh and it will need an interior for the wife. all of a sudden your all out racer is 3 tons over design weight. Who gets flamed for the less than stellar performance, not the owner that screwed it up. the public perception will be that the designer had one.

Will the ninja have the public perception of a tippy boat, of course it will its a multihull. yes it flipped yes it will do it again is that a bad thing? probably only for the owners wallets, I think its another cool boat into a ever cooler fleet.

and CML how far open was your throttle in the Coastal Car Lassic

What makes NZ sailors some of the most sort after and best sailors in the world is the knowledge they gain from sailing on the edge. For ye naysayers out there, will you watch the next AC for the gentlemanly like sailing or the fast close action and possible thrills and spills. For me it will be the latter.

Dead right, the innovation and balls to just do it over here is outstanding.

ouch

Man Kev, you sure know how to wind people up!

Ooooh BOOBOO, let him have his fun, bloody hilarious :clap:

I made the call to hoist the kite just as I saw Ninja flip! I then yelled at the boys to watch them go over and told them not to hoist. After that we sailed really slow it makes me kind of nervous seeing boats upside down! (even tho im an armchair 8.5 sailor with a boat thats not powered up until 50knots of breeze...eh Jamie)

I would be keen for the Ninja guys to give us a rundown on what they would do differently next time, i.e is it just a matter of an extra reef when its gusting over 30? If thats the case its a pretty simple matter of getting to know the boat.

From what I could see (from right behind them) they had reefed or 2x reefed main, small jib, no extras and they were running flat off and just pitchpoled. If thats the case its surely just a matter to too much sail area in that breeze/seastate right?

Good on them for going out in marginal conditions for the 2nd race and making it back to the BBQ with bugger all damage!

Archived