Doesn't look I'll be doing much sailing in Mumbai

Fogg

I stick to canned drinks when away and wipe the top before drinking....they can't fake the seal and you can get a coke anywhere these days. I wouldn't advise washing yourself with coke though, but at least it'll be sterile.... :thumbup:

Vandy, it's better than nothing. But don't go thinking Coke, or any other sealed bottle/can is imported. Much it is made and bottled there and made with the water from there. You can only hope it is filtered to get rid of the bigger stuff, but filtering will not remove many of the real nasties. When it comes to simple softdrinks like Coke, it is all made with simple water, straight out of the "tap". For alcoholic drinks like Beer and stronger, the water does have to be purified by boiling, so as greeblies don't ferment with the yeast and create some nasty taste. Usually a Thiol (sulphur compound) can be created and the beer will smell like Rottenrua in a hot Nor'wester. But in saying that, I know of some that have still ghot the sudden urge after drinking Beer made there.

I travel to India ,specifically Mumbai , 4-5 times a year and have been since 2000 to work for one of my clients --l have only had a serious "health " problem once and that was from the cup for the second cup of coffee (at the client ) being rinsed under the tap ---otherwise ,just by being careful with drinking only bottled water , and not eating street vendor food l have had no problems other than minor stomach upsets (bit like after a hot chilli meal !!!! )--the food has been fantastic both Indian, Asian and European and l certainly have had no problem with the kingfisher /locally brewed Fosters , or with the local rum .I've also been lucky in that l haven't had to stay in backpacker accommodation but on my regular trips to the clients sites have stayed in Guest Houses where the staff work really hard to ensure the Euro doesn't suffer !!

Great place to visit but l couldn't live there so l take my hat off to AC and l know he will appreciate the Hauraki even more when he returns .

No Coca Cola in India, they fell out with the Indian Govt over something and it is not sold there.

You need to wipe the neck of bottled drinks before drinking too. The first time you do it will be enough to make it second nature from the crap that comes off onto the tissue or T-shirt.

The bottle will have been picked up by the cap probably a dozen times or so before it hits the table chilled for you pleasure.

The gunge you wipe off is from those dozen hands. :sick:

Surely the carbonation must sterilise it somewhat?

Only time I've been caught out was when I was feeling cocky and put local ice and in a coke in indo.....only do it once I guess

.... but what have you been doing.......

have you changed you name from AC to MA :wink: :lol: :lol:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... d=10681287

Indian businessman Mukesh Ambani, ranked the world's fourth-richest man by Forbes magazine this year, is to soon move into what is believed to be the most expensive private home ever built.

The 173m-tall building, named Antilla after a mythical island in the Atlantic, has a floor space of 37,160sq m - far more than Louis XIV's palace at Versailles.

The 27-floor skyscraper in the heart of the financial capital of Mumbai reportedly cost more than US$2 billion ($2.65 billion).

And since each floor is double the average height, Antilla will be the equivalent of 60 storeys high.

Designed by Perkins + Will and Hirsch Bedner Associates, of Dallas and Los Angeles, it has entertainment centres, a ballroom, a health club, an Olympic-size swimming pool and a lush, four-storey-high open garden - a luxury in the densely populated port city.

The distinctive feature of 53-year-old Ambani's future home, where he plans on living with his wife, three children and mother, is that no room or floor is alike.

Each has a distinctly different layout and is constructed with dissimilar material.

The first six floors are reserved for Amabani's 168 imported cars alongside an in-house service centre to maintain them.

The entertainment centre, comprising a mini-theatre capable of seating 50 people, will be on the eighth floor. Other floors above them house gyms, the swimming pool and many guest apartments.

The top four floors are for the Ambani family, with a breathtaking view of the Arabian Sea and the port city's impressive skyline.

Topping the building will be the "air space floor" capable of housing three helicopters.

The kitchen is big enough to cater for several hundred guests.

Ambani is expected to hold a house-warming party this month - amidst criticism from many Mumbai residents who find his extravagance "vulgar" in a city where millions sleep on pavements or lead pitiful existences in futile search of riches.

But the Mail Today newspaper quoted some of Ambani's unnamed friends defending the magnate's home.

"It's only a family home, just a big one. It's merely a question of convenience and requirement," one matter-of-factly stated.

By Rahul Bedi

Good old India!! Well I have been involved in the bottling and water and wastewater industry for years. Most and I mean all the coke plants i've worked in go to extreme measures to make sure the water used is of high quality.

You are pretty safe drinking coke but it's probably the sugar used you have to worry about more than the water. It breeds all sorts of stuff in the batching stage. I travel in the third world all the time and i've never had any poisoning at all; think i'm immune now. But I have been drugged by fake Heineken twice now. The fakes are rife in Thailand and China.

In India last week and it's the bed bugs that got me - now those things will survive anything...

Yeah it's quite a piece of work, basically looks like an office block from the outside. 3 helipads too but so far he's not resource consent to use them!

Archived