High speed Trg to Auck

Fogg

Planning a high speed run from Tauranga back to Auck poss Monday weather permitting. Don't know the waters south of the Mercs, any watch-outs? Apart from Astrolabe Reef.

Holy sh*t, I thought we were going to have a whole "speeders are child molesters" thread again then I realised this was Marine Talk so it was about a sea journey. I'm assuming it's a gin palace but beat me if I'm wrong. I've done a couple of speed runs through there, mostly at the end of delivering some fat bastard's stinkpot from colder climes. As long as you have done your route plan then there is nothing to bite you. At speed the tidal influence is small, no uncharted stuff, BUT, it is a passage that requires you to have your sh*t together in a power boat because there are some frequent course changes which happen quick at 30+ knots. Make sure you have plenty sleep, no booze, and total concentration. I'm guessing it will be getting a tad busy so maybe a mate who you trust on the wheel when you need to take a slash.

Gin palace doesn't quite describe it. More like a Carribean drug boat, in flat water we can hit 62 kts but I doubt we'll manage more than 30-40kts for most of the trip even if its calm. But we'll see.

Ok, so no snags other than the obvious lumps of rock and islands. The chart plotter will no doubt be a blur.

Err, OK. Do your route plan before you go and stay focussed. (please) sh*t goes down real fast at those speeds. A few years ago I sneezed at 20 knots going inside East Island coming around East Cape (big, wide easy passage) at 3am and missed a waypoint. Could have been ugly but for being alert, together and sober.

After exiting the harbour entrance, the direct line up the coast towards Slipper invites you to pass over an area of shallow ground off Matakana Is maybe 3nm away, in normal settled weather it's OK but it doesn't take much of an Easterly swell to create breaking swells that seem to appear haphazardly at times - I've been there in those breaking waves - so watch out. Also it would be best to pass outside Slipper Is as there are a few tricky bits around there, the Hole in the Wall is pretty well charted and ok to go through but the land side of the passage has some sunken rocks that seem to appear unexpectedly (mainly found when trying to tack through in light winds), even though they have cardinal marks now I think, they could easily be missed, I reckon, going along at 30-40 knots.

Yeah OK, I'll draw up a passage plan that goes outside just about everything then (except the channel markers).

Can't remember boat details other than it's a 40ft-ish American sports cruiser with something close to 1000hp on tap.

That's a shitload of neddies in a 40 footer. I challenge any of the purists here to truthfully say they wouldn't love to get on those throttles just once.

Another wee word of advice (from a very nearly embarrassing experience). Determine if the fuel computer display is reading cumulative readings for both engines, not just one.

The owner has had it for a couple of years in the US so hopefully he's familiar with that stuff. Tanks already topped off, will need it given we can burn 300lph at WOT :shock: Only problem he previously had was difficulty obtaining insurance because the boat is known to be capable of outrunning US CG hence a popular choice with drug runners. Which makes me wonder why the US CG don't just buy one too...

Anyway, should be a good platform for chasing the AC72s for pics once we get it back to Auck.

That is a big fuel burn. A good old rule of thumb for diesel was 20hp hours per imperial gallon. That would make 1000hp 225 litres per hour give or take by my math.

I assume this has petrol engines which are harder to predict.

It will be an interesting trip.

I'm sitting on a 35' in Wellington at the moment and off to Tauranga in the morning. However we are only aiming at 23kn or thereabouts.

Pretty snotty crossing of Cook this morning

I've done the odd mad dash across the strait. Unscrew the barometer, place it beside the table and enjoy your restaurant dinner. As soon as it stops at the bottom of the downward curve, pay the bill and go.

Yup all true. Back safe and sound completed Tauranga to Auck in 2hrs 50mins. The longest part of the trip was the slog up the ditch at 12 kts - felt like crawling after 60kts.

Several interesting points of note resulting from such a fast trip, will write up a more thorough trip report later. Suffice to say at those speeds the world becomes a very small place in both a good and bad way!

Archived