Whats the story Phil

SloopJohnB

Wellllll

A couple of years ago I retired Sundreamer from racing. Getting crew was a pain, we were no longer competitive and ripping up several $100 notes every race and the marina was hitting $2000 a month. I shifted her to Whitianga where I have a beach house with best intentions of sailing often. Sadly that hasn't happened. We have sailed her only a dozen times in 2 years. She is just too big to easily slip out on a whim. And not being on a marina means bird sh*t. Lack of use lends it's own problems and we have replaced 3 outboards for those 12 days out.

But more importantly I really underestimated how much I'd miss sailing in Auckland, racing and daysailing and the odd overnighter.

So a few weeks ago I decided to get serious about selling her and what to get instead. Pretty soon decided there was nothing in the local multihull world that would do the trick. The multihull racing in Auckland has developed into greyhounds way past where the fleet was 10 years ago for better or worse. Meantime the cruising scene has moved towards larger floating houses. There is very little middle ground, racers don't cruise, cruisers don't race (in general)

So mono, 30'ish, fast'ish, class'ish, Decided it had to be a 1020, 88 or 930. Decided a 930 gave the most bangs per buck, and lo' and behold there's a really nice one on Trademe with an inboard (bonus :thumbup: )

Being an early adoptee of OCD we decided to take the plunge sooner rather than later. The years are slipping by us, knowing our luck there won't be one around when we want one, so for the price of a new set of sails for Sundreamer we are back racing, daysailing and overnighting in Auckland. Or will be, I'm flying down to Nelson tomorrow to sea trial it and make arrangements to get it up to Auckland asap.

Good move? Backward step? Who knows? Ask me in a few months.

Marina 1.jpg

Cabin Forward Centre.jpg

Sailing Downwind Masthead 3.jpg

Nice thoughtful comments there "new R930" owner. :thumbup:

They are my thoughts too.l (minus the large Cat scenario)

Bang for buck, good looks, fast, and cruiseability make them very attractive.

It is a strange market at the moment. I have looked at many boats an have found some good value boats in the 110 - 180K market but the costs of ownership (berthage, new sails, a/foul...) versus the actual pleasure you get keeps me looking at the 35-80K market where you can have the same fun for less short and long term costs.

Davidson 28's, Whiting 30's, farr 1020's, Y88's?, Noelex 30's?, Colson 9M :D :thumbup: AA...all do the job.

Sorry to see you go Phil, from the multi scene

I know what you mean about greyhounds, and sadly, racing a corgi in amongst them tends to get a bit lonesome.

Mind you, Cubic would just aboutgive you what you needed, apart from the one design and on the right days you could even give the greyhounds a fright.

Wild Oats was trucked to Tauranga, mast stepped this morning, and he was planning to sail her up today . . . not sure how far he intends to get today.

He his too far out for me to get a positive ID, but the timing is correct for his planning.

As an aside, saw Mareva heading south at 1400hrs . . .

M

Archived