Chartplotters

nz moth

Can't tell you about the specific item but we use an iPad2 with iSailor in the cockpit and it's as good for detail and accuracy as the Garmin chartplotter. And no you don't need to have network access.

Sorry probably no help at all :roll:

Can't tell you about the specific item but we use an iPad2 with iSailor in the cockpit and it's as good for detail and accuracy as the Garmin chartplotter. And no you don't need to have network access.

I use the iPad as well (needs to be 3G version with GPS) but with the Navionics app which is excellent as well. Have it set up in a Talon mount under the dodger. Again, not much help re the Android tablet, except to say that you need to be confident in/trust the hardware and software you get.

except to say that you need to be confident in/trust the hardware and software you get.

Had it next to the Garmin for a day and it seemed pretty good, the diff was ~1m max.

Yep, I've found the iPad (and iPhone) to be pretty spot on. Apple get a lot of sh*t for being a locked down system, but at least as a result they can say it works.

Ive had one of these for over a year now and it seems OK, the accuracy is pretty good when compared to the Garmin.

My one bluetooths with my phone to become a hands free device, can hold music, photos etc if you want and seems Ok, the battery life isnt terrific so make sure you get a 12V lighter plug kit for it. The only issues I have with it are that it can sometimes be a bit hard to see in full daytime glare and the average kiwi index finger is a bit fat to make the touch screen scrolling for different charts etc a bit hit and miss sometimes, a stylus is supplied but the kids usually lose them within the first 24 hours of the packet being opened.

I've had a tablet based plotter for a while now. Seems to be very good. Downsides are it's not water resistant and I can't figure out how to get a projected heading line on the screen. Otherwise, it was $290 well spent. Charts are excellent.

We have Toughbook tablets for those looking for a bit of grunt.

Android based from 1600ish, Windows 8 bells and whistles 3kish depending on waterproofing, processors 3g etc.

New model NZ release weeks away.

Contact me at Safety at Sea

i thought long and hard about a tablet vs a dedicated chart plotter.

Tablet had alot going for it as it could be used for lots of other things.

however.

at the end of the day I went for a dedicated mounted waterproof chartplotter.

when you really need a plotter its usually dark, you might be dragging an anchor, its blowing its nuts off or you're trying to finish a simrad and get home etc.

The dedicated plotter is right in the cotpit, its wired to the battery so won't go flat, all you need to do is turn it on, no booting up and starting apps etc and you can see it in daylight.

beats a tablet hands down I reckon. I got a second hand garmin off trade me for $300 and its been awesome.

Carry both - smallish Garmin 65 colour plotter which is usually fine + iPad with Ipx7 hard case and Navionics HD. With the bigger screen the iPad is more like a mobile chart table in the cockpit. In saying that the chart is always folded to the right section and baged in the cockpit so I can do a 3 way check against them all.

I use the iPad as well (needs to be 3G version with GPS) but with the Navionics app which is excellent as well. Have it set up in a Talon mount under the dodger. Again, not much help re the Android tablet, except to say that you need to be confident in/trust the hardware and software you get.

I have struggled to get a straight answer about this from anyone selling these...

Why does the iPad need to be the 3G version? Surely the 'Maps' app works on any iPad via GPS without the 3G network, so shouldn't Navionics or similar work? Has anyone got the lower spec iPad in use on GPS only onboard?

I have struggled to get a straight answer about this from anyone selling these...

Why does the iPad need to be the 3G version? Surely the 'Maps' app works on any iPad via GPS without the 3G network, so shouldn't Navionics or similar work? Has anyone got the lower spec iPad in use on GPS only onboard?

Only the 3G+wifi model has the GPS chip in it. I believe the wifi only version will "work" if tethered to an iPhone or similar with a GPS chip but this won't be as accurate (it may use aGPS which I think just estimates location based on proximity of cellular towers).

Ok. I'm looking at several options for my new online store. As I see it, the issue with a tablet is that while ok for nav, it does not easily receive the data from the boats instruments. Yes I know it can, with the addition of a wifi capable device accepting NMEA. As mentioned, it also needs to be charged....

I was thinking for a basic system, of a small, low power laptop, like the acer aspire one interfaced to the instruments, running open CPN. Can add radar, external waterprrof sceen in cockpit, AIS etc as required.

How many of you use, or would like to use a tablet?

David I hope it's ok to ask this here - if not, give me a yell and well sort something out...

Thanks

Matt

Archived