Auckland Regatta Updates

Marshy

Yeah looks that way. friend took the photo from up above eastern beach. Mast in water with sails up still. Least its not the boat "that" way up

Looks like a few RIBs helping out Rig fallen out the back of the boat. Not an easy thing to recover. although easier than doing an Oracle!!

Hope everyone is ok onboard and not too much damage or injury. Good luck sorting it all out boys.

image_1363917401212450.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

For immediate release - 26th March 2013

Kia Kaha goes from strength to strength at Auckland Regatta

Northland Sailor of the Year Chris Hornell has sailed his Reichel/Pugh TP52 Kia Kaha to victory once again, in last weekend's Auckland Regatta.

With convincing wins in PHRF, IRC and line honours categories, Kia Kaha - which means 'stay strong' in Maori - continues to prove her mettle among New Zealand's sailing elite.

This year's Auckland Regatta saw 85 boats competing in 11 divisions. In the A Division, Kia Kaha faced many of the same opponents she battled in the Bay of Islands Sailing Week regatta earlier this year. And with results from this year's Auckland Regatta mirroring those from Bay Week, skipper Chris Hornell can now confidently claim these were no fluke wins for Team Kia Kaha.

So how does a relative underdog take on this sea of sailing talent - most of whom are paid, professional crew - and get the better of them? Skipper Chris Hornell puts Kia Kaha's success down to a winning combination of the boat's superior light air capabilities, a crew that work well together, and great tactics.

With a crew made up entirely of unpaid amateurs, Kia Kaha certainly stands out from her competitors. Team Kia Kaha consists mainly of Hornell's friends from the Bay of Islands, as well as his daughter - Rebecca Gmuer Hornell - who at just 12 years old may well be the regatta's youngest A Division competitor.

Unlike many of her counterparts at the top, Kia Kaha doesn't sail under the banner of any of the major Auckland or Wellington clubs either. In fact, she proudly carries the letters 'OCC' on her stern, representing her local yacht club - the Opua Cruising Club - in the tiny Bay of Islands town she hails from.

You can follow Kia Kaha on Facebook - just like 'TP52 Kia Kaha' for regular racing updates.

ENDS

For more information please contact Chris Hornell on 021 728 942 or email tp52.kiakaha@gmail.com

Just curious - how extensive is professional crewing in Auckland (or the rest of the country)?

Not a boat jock who does maintenance, but crew that receive financial reward for their sailing skills.

Just curious - how extensive is professional crewing in Auckland (or the rest of the country)?

Not a boat jock who does maintenance, but crew that receive financial reward for their sailing skills.

I would like to know too... but I guess this is kept rather hush hush between the parties concerned - for various (and obvious) reasons

PRESS RELEASE

For immediate release - 26th March 2013

Kia Kaha goes from strength to strength at Auckland Regatta

So how does a relative underdog take on this sea of sailing talent - most of whom are paid, professional crew -

Lots of credit to Chris for the success this summer, and it looks like the Tauranga race is turning on his conditions too, for the light airs flier.

I did notice this, and I am not aware of any crew paid to sail on boats in NZ. Us owners sure buy our share of rounds, and help with or subsidise accomidation at times, but not paid crew that I am aware of?

Well done Chris and your crew. Well sailed and definately the form boat at the moment.

I have to say I was surprised by the paid crew comment however - I think you'll find the aside from a boat lacky paid to maintain the boat, there is very little in the way of paid crew on 99% of boats in the fleet. S*#t, come boats even have crew paying to sail on them!

Damn, this rumour seems to be dying the same sort of death as marrying for money. Is there really no option other than working for a living? :lol:

Gotta wonder if being out there at your own expense and by your own choice - using up your leave or simply forgoing earnings if you are self-employed - makes you more motivated to have a great time and give it heaps anyway.

I don't know Chris's crew but maybe he means they are a bunch of guys that love sailing but have other jobs, rather than being a bunch of professionals in the yachting industry (like sail makers) who may be perceived as having an edge because of all the boats they sail on, their contact with actual professional sailors, and the amount of time they spend sailing.

Archived