NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

Guest creative suffering

To all the potential 6.5'rs

here are some more thoughts!

if you need some one to do a great job on a web site then contact Andrew Riddell (FF website) and see what he has to offer in conjunction with Crew!

he set up the FF web site before it was beeeep "shall we say"... "Compromised" by others.

he is fantastic!

also since there is a abundance of unemployed people about, some boatbuilders, some boat painters, some ...

it could be a "cunning plan" to quantify your build numbers and 'tender out for prices to build hulls (to glassing stage or glassed...) , hull and decks, rigs, painting...?

i would not be suprised if you got some pretty sharp prices right now. worth a look!

i also think you should look at french companies with offices here and target them with a sponsorship package after all the french are fiscally very robust at the moment and they would benefit from NZ exposure and NZ 6.5's coming to their shores to race!

finally, you could sell your sole to the devil and approach Grant Dalton and dail into his rich Kiwi backers for dosh! or Emirates! after all they are not spending a lot on AC racing and imagine a bunch of 6.5s buzzing around all painted like TNZ?

wait a minute i have another!... the breweries! yes! approach them (Lion / kerin) regarding boats painted out in Super 14 colours as part of a world cup 2011 promo!! Now that is selling your sole to the devil!...

especially if your the Blues!

hey even if it is a free paint job it's better than nothing!

and remember the great words (said drunk as he entered a pub with his all black mates) of Stu Wilson ..."guys...stick together and spread out"

regarding boats painted out in Super 14 colours as part of a world cup 2011 promo!! Now that is selling your sole to the devil!...

"

Sounded Ok till then.

If we get as far as an association Crew.org.nz can host any interwebby stuff, that's easy.

Totaly - and if there's a group build everybody learns from each other

And for all of you how think you can't, we will be having a how to workshop to get you going

Group builds used to happen a lot back in the day. Many Sabots, Starlings, Sunbursts and bigger boats were built as a group. Some who had the skills passed them around and those that didn't learnt a lot. All pitched in some way or another and all benefited.

Be good to see things like that happen again and in a few ways Minis like this would be easier to build than some of those mentioned above.

I like Squids date. Civil Aviation require my presence tomorrow so I couldn't make it then.

mk 2

Hi,

Please excuse my lingo but the Leech 6.5 seems firmer in the bilge from the renderings (but it is hard to tel than the Mk2. Is this a fair observation? It also appears to have more rocker? Can you explain why it has evolved that way?

Is the mark 2 a canter? and will it have twin daggers or single?

Thoughts?

Guest L Yachts

A quick run through on my thoughts behind the Leech Mini hull shape:

Splat - I agree, the Leech mini is fuller in the bilge area. I have gone with a hull that will give good form stability and by using the chine it can be achieved well. A hull shape like this gives more power to carry sail.

The reason for the rocker on the Leech being flatter is to do with the flat aft sections for downwind performance. The Leech and the mk2 may have the same displacement, but if the mk2 has finer sections then it will probably have more rocker.

To reduce wetted surface in the light winds, the keel will be canted to leeward to roll the boat onto the bilge area.

The spray chine forward is there for two reasons, one it allows the hull forward to have greater reserve buoyancy up in the topsides for when you stick the bow in, allowing slightly finer sections below, and two it detaches the laminar flow from getting sucked up the topsides. I have been playing around with the geometry of spray chines and chine flats on my skiffs for a while. This is a photo of one of my skiffs showing the spray chine / chine flat geometry.

post-1-141887153299.jpg

Great questions and answers, yes the Mk2 will have slightly more rocker than the leech mini. the hull form for the Mk2 is more round in the bildges aloowing for less change in the heeled waterlines. the Leech will most likely have more inital stabillaty than the Mk2 but when press to windward the should be fairly equal. Having been on Chris Sayers 403 and a more modern hull form 736, It is safe to say that the modern boats are way more powerfull. It then becomes a tradeoff between rocker and wetted surface. The funny thing is both typs are doing equally as well at the front of the current fleets. you could compair the nacira mini to the leech hull bottom and the rolland dingo2 to the mk2 and the betrand is most likely in the middle of both

Archived