NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

The Worlds Fastest Quarter Tonner.

Knot anymore babe. The Smokey is gearing up and will shortly take that title :) :)

That sounds alot like the gauntlet going down....... game on! :)

Trying to keep this on topic but yes - ok Toles - see you next summer when shes finished. (lets take this somewhere else, perhaps a topic called Worlds Fastest Quarter Tonner Black Fun obliterates competition in embarrasing whitewash) :)

And just to keep this on topic I reiterate that I will attend the 6.5 meeting.

Hi All, Back in NZ again. Ill be there

It was asked earlier in the forum about gwetting a price from a french designer - well I have been in contact with Etienne Bertrand ( see the mini 719 on pages 18 and 19 ) and have a plan price and multiple build price from him for comparisions at the meeting

post-234-141887153852_thumb.jpg

post-234-141887153856_thumb.jpg

Some interesting info from Owen Clarke here:

http://www.owenclarkedesign.com/da/18253

Which highlights one thing that I don't think has been explored a great deal in this thread....."the production boat rules do not allow water ballast, canting keel and has no ten degree rule." so rather than creating our own bastard child 650 rule or building a not very competitive boat under the prototype rule wouldn't it be better to build under the production rule? As far as I can tell that doesn't rule out strip plank and ply construction but some effort would need to be made to make sure the boats are identical.

I'm thinking that production rule boats are going to meet the objectives of most people who are interested in this. If anyone really wants to compete in Europe you can either stick to the production class or build a prototype. If anyone from Europe does want to come down here for a race then they can have their prototype class with their wobbly keels too.

Having said that.... with the exchange rate at the moment $42K USD for a production 650 from Owen Clarke ain't that bad. Not sure if we'll be able to build them for that in NZ. Maybe just try and get a good price for a bulk order.

I won't be able to make it as I'm at the Fieldays.

I won't be building a boat, but more than happy to work out a safety spec suitable for the Mini. I can then offer a group deal if you want.

Just make sure you build the cabin hatch big enough for Boo Boo to get through.... (The one on Chris's boat was tight for me as he and Rob N were scrawny blokes)

Just had a big chat with Chris Sayer. He's more than happy to answer questions and help where he can. He said the new version Finots were the hot boats at the moment.

He's got 2 weeks to move from being land based to 42ft floating based.

So that would be tonight 7pm at Swashbucklers ??

I believe that would be correct. Either that or you and I will be Nigel no-mates for the evening :)

Here's a fun new one from Leading Edge. ISO certification. I have been on the phone to YNZ . As of 1 June there are some fun new rules, and to get a safety cert your boat will need to have ISO certification (built after 1 June that is).

Now YNZ don't have a good idea what it's about or how it's going to work but are having a meeting next week to talk about it.

In the meantime if we build a new race boat here as of today and it doesn't have ISO cert it may not be allowed to race and may not have any resale value outside NZ.

Does anybody know anything about this?????

There are a few ISO standards for compliance but it doesn't look that bad:

The ongoing ISAF rules (ERS and OSR categories 1 to 5) apply. These rules are changed as follow:

- 3.08.3: "companionway" does not apply, is replaced with the application of, at least, the standard ISO 11812, article 8.2.2, table 5, category of conception B, “semi-fixed coaming” and article 8.2.4., the companionway hatch being the “mobil part”. For the application, see article J-8-c.

J-11 - PULPIT, PUSHPIT, LIFELINES AND STANCHIONS

J-11-d Boats have to have a system allowing the ascent aboard of a person fallen in the water. This system must comply with ISO standard n°15085. In case of doubt, the measurer can ask for a demonstration.

J-17 - BILGE PUMPS

J-17-c These two pumps must be in accordance with the standard ISO 15083.

Don't have time right now (have to do some real work) but I spent a bit of time this morning looking at ISO construction standards, way more than that.

Start here and folllow the links.

Ok are here some to add:

ISO 8666 Small craft - Principal data

ISO 11812 Small craft - Watertight cockpits and quick- draining cockpits

ISO 12217-2 Small craft - Stability and buoyancy assessment and categorization - Part2 Sailing boats of hull length greater than or equal to 6 m. As stated in OCR

Look here 3 pages

http://www.iso.org/iso/search.htm?qt=sm ... blished=on

Archived