NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

For the deposit on your new boat silly.

Three gold coins then?

Speaking of money, I know that there are those out there that want to minimize the cost, so I'm wondering where to draw the line. (Of course there is a point where spending money doesn't make much of a difference to speed). I'm thinking that the project that I'd get involved with would have boats that can sail against the Europe's best in the Mini Transat etc. If they are good performers, then we'll see a mini trans Tasman or similar that attracts entries from the north making it an international event. ...Just babbling... looking forward to tonight...

It was a really good meeting, great to put faces to names... very exciting boats these Mini 6.5s. :thumbup:

The most interesting comments by Knot Me (ie someone else) to do 4 or 5 identical (or near identical) full out racers... according to most the cost will be less than 10% more than a Series (which need 10 to become a series - and are slower because of extra design restrictions)... I think that half the battle with having full out racers is working out how to make them go fast, if we had several then there would a great chance to have a local circuit here AND get to send the best one to the next MiniTransat or the one after.

Be good to see the figures come in for both, and also to read your report Squid!!

Nice report Mr Secretary Squid :)

Very positive chat is was. Everyone was in agreement and seems keen, good to see.

The basic idea was that is easier to build pretty much low cost version prototypes as the Mini Class call them, but in a production type, almost one-design, way to get a faster and cheaper build to fire the Class off. That way we get the faster of the 2 boats, keep the costs to a minimum but leave plenty of room for people to later 'Pimp my Mini' if they so desire. Also whacking out them all the same gives everyone a lot better chance of getting up to speed with these little monsters a lot quicker with head to head trialing.

As the fleet grows, and I'm sure it will, those who have decided to Pimp their Mini or maybe to go and have a crack at the French can either upgrade existing gear or even new boats. When that happens it will mean some nice cheap gear to be passed on to someone wanting to enter the Class in a low cost manner.

There was some thoughts that this may mean some big speed differences but as these boats are very heavily reliant of the dick on the stick it was though that will knot be a big issue. Having chatted to Chris Sayer on this very subject I asked him 'Which would most likely win? A very flash boat with a dodgy driver or a good but slightly slower boat with a good driver?'. His answer was the best drivers usually win unless the boat is a complete shocker. Many of the boats in France are very flash but don't get top end results as they aren't sailed well. So no big issue is seen with that aspect as most see Kiwis at being able to push harder as is our style down here so will do well.

While building 'Series' or 'production class' boats was discussed the thoughts were that even though they would cost a little less (only 10% odd) there wasn't the opportunity or flexibility to upgrade them as easily. And they are slower and you need to get 10 odd floating to make them a 'legal production' boat. There is no reason the proposed hull, as yet undecided, couldn't be finished under the 'Series' rule. Be aware the Series boats do have to have assorted Certifications the Protos don't though.

So all looking good and on track. The Industry people there were very highly supportive as Squid mentions. Lots of offers to speak to assorted HQ's and tap them for any Mini info they had or have done for other boats. Good deals and so on. So good to see such support offered.

Now who wants to front up to have the naming rights for the 'Mini 650 Pacific Challenge'? :)

Guest creative suffering

A great first step and good to see my initial ideas coming to the fore! (SEE ORIGINAL POSTS, re; group build / supplier bulk buy's/ fleet sponsorship...)...

BUT...

Wheres the detail...

In no particular order...

Next meeting detail (to thrash out details of..)

the web site details?

committed partnerships between supplier / fleet / builder?

commited builder / owner details?

Shed for initial hull build detail?

details of suppliers needed to complete full build!.. eg... Paint, resin, fittings, electronics blah blah blah. you need to target all organisations / suppliers for deals for every component of the build!... who's doing that?... remember thing are quiet and they will look at deals where some volume is involved

Costings time line..

who's in charge of comms/ project planning for detail. supplier liaison...

dot dot dot.

"the first step has been taken! but you appear to have no structure to manage your way through all the planning, build, and sailing issues that will confront you.

i would have thought you would have some one to manage the whole scheme and delegated people to look after the differing areas of the whole project?

Talks cheap! front up with details and who's doing what!!! and what the plan is going forward!..., and What you need!!! after all ther are a lot of unemployed people doing nothing and looking for anything!

the Potential 650 sailors need to see action! AND DETAIL! AND FUTURE PLANS! or impotence will be lost.

i look forward to seeing you next "critical" steps and future progress!

Keep it going!

Good report 'Mr. Secretary' Squid... $75,000 is a pretty amazing figure for what they are... not so sure on your choice of picture...

I wonder if a couple of Australians might be interested - there might even be interest in Noumea. Could further spread the cost and allow a little more R&D.

DId I hear CS volunteer?

That report has been passed to Boating NZ and Trade a boat as well, It would be great if a couple more potentials came out of the woodwork.

CS You make some valid points, but we are still learning to walk. I have never done anything like this before and anything achieved so far has been done on goodwill alone.

Without doubt there was enough knowledge and talent there last night to make this happen, and yes it's bloody exciting.

Hey Il ike pictures of others (particularly experts ) wiping out big time, makes me feel good.

sh*t guys sory I missed it, had only just got back from Thailand that day and have to be out of our house by the weekend (sold it and upgraded) so there was no way in hell I was going to be allowed out to talk about spending more money on a boat....

I am so fu*ken busy at the moment I wouldnt have been much help anyway!

Our mini project is on hold for now as there is a good chance we will get the full funding very shortly for the final goal (open 60) so if so there would be no need for the mini.

Should know more in a few weeks.

looks like some great progress was made and some good decisions.

Dan leech and Matt Stenchman are still keen to do the leech kitset mini. so if that is a posiblity let me know.

Is there a second meeting scheduled?

Archived