Small keeler, costs of ownership questions.

So I'm about to move north to Whangarei and was planning to get back on the water. Two options here, a keeler or trailer yacht. If we go the trailer yacht route we'll need one of the 22 to 25 footers, meaning we would need a big launch vehicle.

Otherwise looking at a Tracker or Raven on a mooring.

I can't seem to get any accurate info on a budget for maintaining and insuring either of the two boats above. I would buy a swing mooring to leave it on.

Any thoughts? It would be awesome having a moored boat but if it is a continual drain on funds that could swing against it.

Would love to tell you different but you know I would be lying :shifty: the expenses never stop. 10% of the value per year is a general rule of thumb.

On the plus side, even knowing the costs, it is still very much worth it.

There are a couple of insurance companies advertising on this site that are well regarded so they would be a good starting point; insurance costs are one of the most common topics here, so a search should come up with the previous threads.

Edit: here are two - there are others to be found as well:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15865

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19748

It does seem that in the Auckland area at least, insurers are becoming less enthusiastic about boats on swing moorings, so worth checking out that aspect and factoring it into your calculations.

Another upside of a trailer yacht would be the ability to enjoy some of the other destinations around Northland.

Best of luck, whatever you decide. :thumbup:

Firstly what do you want to use the boat for? in harbour? coastal cruising? where do you intend to keep it, at home (trailer sailer) or in the water, (keeler) in the water options are: town basin (now restricted by the opening (not) bridge, Kissing point, on piles, Marsden cove Marina, Ray Roberts Marine, Tutukaka or on a block mooring.

(Trailer Sailer) Out of the water, Vehicle size, ramp accessability. A trailer sailer doesn't preclude you from coastal cruising, it depends, as all sailing does on your ability and perhaps more caution re the weather.

Trailer sailer plus, no antifouling or slipping, Negative, Vehicle size, reliance on tides and ramp access.

Keeler plus available at any time (excluding town basin) Negatives, slipping, antifouling, etc. marina, mooring (piles or block mooring) costs.

As a South Island sailor you will love the sailing choices up here, just don't expect too much from the weather, it rains in Whangarei when the rest of are in drought. I call the weather permanent autumn, never gets really hot and never really cold, the seasons are no where as apparent as the CH CH BP area.

10% of the value per year is a general rule of thumb.

Agree with this.

I have a 26ft keeler (for sale, plug plug :wink: ) and insurance is $45 a month for $30k value plus $1m liability. You may not need liability if you don't plan on entering a marina, just don't hit any super yachts out there. Haul out (~$200) once a year for a wash and antifoul (~$200 4ltrs and supplies), and then some maintenance ($?).

Trailer sailer means you can just turn off the expenditure for a while, park it up and it needn't cost anything. The big downside I find is that it takes longer to go out for a sail - there's an extra hour of rigging and launching, then again to retrieve and de-rig, and I live very close to the ramp I launch from.

I'm after a family cruiser, currently own a 2.4 litre Subaru, don't really want to get and maintain a bigger car if I can help it, what size trailer yacht could I pull, I'm figuring a gazelle, noelex 25 or Trojan would be ideal, would love to cruise the bay of islands or head across to the barrier over the summer holidays, what about something like a tasman 20?

Which car? Is it an Outback? if so, 1500KG max, with a braked trailer is the manufactures spec...

The original brochure for the Noelex 25 said 1600KG towing weight. That would be empty! Realistically you could expect 2000kg. Probably a bit much for the car, but you can legally do it if you want. Make sure the trailer has good brakes!!

I think you'll find a Noelex 25 (under the current trailer rules) and others of that length require a double axle, fully braked trailer. Approx $8 - 10 new. (don't ask how I know this :roll: ). And the other guys are right about tow weights - be very careful on that 'cause if you get it wrong and have a mishap the insurance company will be all over the towing weight/towball/correct trailer thing before paying anything out.

But, if you plan on having the boat sit on the trailer in the car park of the yacht club and not go on the road (much) then anything on wheels is fine as you're not going on the road! Plus, you wont need a big car to tow it 100 metres to the ramp and slowly lower her in and out of the water.

If you can keep her on/at/near the launching ramp then you'll also get out on the water way faster (than having her at home. The boat I mean :lol: ) as you can leave the rig up.

There's no perfect solution. Except being wealthy enough to own 5 different boats - 1 for every occasion!

I'm sort of rich. Got a 30 year old keeler, a blow up dinghy, a very old kayak, a surfboard of similar age to myself and a set of plans for a pram dinghy. That's 5 boats, kinda :thumbup:

Which car? Is it an Outback? if so, 1500KG max, with a braked trailer is the manufactures spec...

The original brochure for the Noelex 25 said 1600KG towing weight. That would be empty! Realistically you could expect 2000kg. Probably a bit much for the car, but you can legally do it if you want. Make sure the trailer has good brakes!!

Yep my Mk2 Gazelle was 1600Kg tare weight. Laden would have been closer to 2000Kg. I towed it with a v8 commodore and while it was OK I wasn't keen on towing it long distances as the Commodore was only rated to 1200Kg braked. I could have installed the heavy towing kit on the car but that was more $$$. I ended up storing the boat at a trailer park next to the yacht club for convenience. Even then there was extra wear and tear on the car, especially when I had to put the rear wheels in the water.

Whangarei Cruising Club has a fenced trailer park at Parua Bay that has a tractor for launching and retrieving which saves the towing vehicle and where to store it dilemma. As I understand it if the tractor breaks, everyone chips in to fix it. Something to think about. We went through the same thought processes as you did couple of years back. Went for a fixed keelboat on a mooring due to getting more of what we wanted for the price. That's what the decision came down to in the end. Insurance was easy, can't remember how much it is offhand, maybe around $300 per annum.

Insurance was easy, can't remember how much it is offhand, maybe around $300 per annum.

Insurance required for having a boat on a berth in the basin is $500 per year if you have a 36ft ferro, my mate just did this a few months ago

Archived