Wanted: Seagull Silver Century Outboard

Kiteroa

Mr Panther, If you're hell bent on being the first man to complete the Seagull race in a proa, I have one of these that you can borrow. Make an ama to your acquired proa taste and give it a shot.

One way ticket to a hiding in the seagull race..JPG

I'm not hell bent on anything but getting out on my own boat, but if you are giving it away???Probably have to chop an end off and put a transom to take the seagull then accept your offer of an engine???

Not really into power boats though. But from a theoretical point of view why would 2 hulls not be lighter/faster than three?

It's good to have a few boats about the place. Although I'm going to sell a few this year.

You'd probably want to mid mount the engine on the proa. No volume down aft and a reasonably central CoB would make it susceptible to putting the stern down and dragging the ass. Besides, a middle, slightly offset towards the ama install will lessen the chance of you falling out when you're fixing it. It will be right next to you howling away cm's from your head. You will lean to know what she sounds like, then when it starts to pack up you can attempt to fix it whilst she's still running. That's the true spirit of seagulling.

You will lean to know what she sounds like, then when it starts to pack up you can attempt to fix it whilst she's still running. That's the true spirit of seagulling.

this also sounds like my car :problem: ... go on cougar pounce on the opportunity I bet AA would help

You will lean to know what she sounds like, then when it starts to pack up you can attempt to fix it whilst she's still running. That's the true spirit of seagulling.

this also sounds like my car :problem: ... go on cougar pounce on the opportunity I bet AA would help

It’s not heavy mechanical work as such. More doing up stuff as it rattles loose. Our petrol tank falls off after about half an hour running. No amount of locktight keeps her attached….

It’s not heavy mechanical work as such. More doing up stuff as it rattles loose. Our petrol tank falls off after about half an hour running. No amount of locktight keeps her attached….

can you drill through the nuts and bolt and use a lock wire ?

Yup, will have to go down the lock wire route I think. Need to get the new boat in the water though and confirm that all our ideas still apply. For sure the prop will need a retune. We'll be a fair bit lighter with more lift this time around.

Or if Locktite is failing because of rattles try Sikaflex. Seems odd. but for a while one of the top Furler brands were recommending the joiner screws were Sika'd in rather than Locktited as it handled the vibration and flex better...

Sounds logical. Might be worth a go. Main issue with the seagull is that there is oil on, in and through everything. So adhering things to it doesn't go so well!

We put the fast engine on the Team NZ boat this weekend... Should be getting north of 20 knots all going well. Would post a video, but we're wallpapered in sponsorship from Yamaha NZ, Guinness World Records, and also Southern Spars. Don't want to cop a bill for advertising!

1st test with one of the faster Seagull 5hp sport engines today. Our race engine is still a week away though. Still, 18 knots for today's effort. Still needs more fuel in the bow to trim properly then she should start scratching 20.

a.jpg

18 knots isn't that quick, but on that boat it feels pretty lively. Probably cause there's not a lot of free board. For the 5R race engine we'll be running a much more heavily pitched prop. Hugh Stewart from Yamaha is going to be helping us in that respect, so we should manage something nice.

Here's a little onboard video from today:

Archived