FT10

SloopJohnB

Murky....Murky.... bloody MURKY, where are you when I find glorious little tid bits like this -

Long on the waterline and lean on the beam, the boats, from the drawing board of American designer Bob Perry, were inspired by the legendary New Zealand racer cruiser class, the Ross 930

The F10 is a R930 asian knock-off.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does anyone know if they are easy to breakdown and put back in the 40ft shipping container, i.e if you wanted to take one to Wellington or Australia for a regatta.

Does anyone know if they are easy to breakdown and put back in the 40ft shipping container, i.e if you wanted to take one to Wellington or Australia for a regatta.

I'm pretty sure it was designed to ship in a container with the keel off; I presume you woudl not want to do too often, as it would probably involve a fair bit of work taking it all apart. Easier to just ship the thing on a flat bed truck.

Great to see another new boat in NZ, 150k for that it's a very cheap new boat, but a not so cheap vs. 2nd hand Kiwi designs like the Y88 and all the orphans around that length with prods and crap. The old new vs. second hand problem that the Thompson 30 probably faced as well (similar boat in many respects, but made locally I thought).

Weird though, it's a nice looking sportsyacht, but on their website they have a grader with a wheel on the left hand side. Seriously, you want to sell speed by showing pics of ugly graders plowing at 5 knots around the harbour? Methinks it is an oversight, let's see that replaced by a FT in 20 knots downwind ;-)

Next question - are they an improvement?

Yes I would expect so and one in the hands of a 930 master, that being Tony, should go bloody well.

Looking at the website it looks like that one arrived in a container. Looking at the specs and they would be close to being trailerable here and I think they do trailer them in the US. You'd need to check but off the top of my head it'd be close if knot doable. Big trailer and a Land Tractor for towing it but it'd be a pile of fun being able to trailer to wherever you like.

Murky....Murky.... bloody MURKY, where are you when I find glorious little tid bits like this -

Long on the waterline and lean on the beam, the boats, from the drawing board of American designer Bob Perry, were inspired by the legendary New Zealand racer cruiser class, the Ross 930

The F10 is a R930 asian knock-off.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry mate, there you were screaming my name and I seem to have fallen asleep.

I was tempted to say: but which 930? Original, mid Turbo, full Turbo,whatever is the new turbo...?

But as you know I think Murray Ross is a superb designer and yachtsman and I am looking forward to seeing what the new M1 campaign looks like on the water.

There is something ironic about NZers importing an American interpretation of one of our own boats but hey, we all get a kick out of seeing something new out on the harbour and it provides some new interest in the fleet.

I tend to agree with all of Kip's points re the pricing of this one as a new boat and the relativity with our second-hand fleet.

Hi, I did the media release for Tony, Graeme and Kerry. Yes they're very easy to container. Tony reckons that if you were keen you could have the boat out of its container and sailing and less than a week (this one is taking a bit longer - for obvious reasons they are spending time getting it perfect).

I've attached a couple of photos. The keel is on some type of lifting mechanism to make it easy to fit together. I don't know the technical detail but you get the gist.

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 066.jpg

Picture 074.jpg

Stupid question perhaps, but how do ya get the thing in the container? Looks like talking a couch through a doorway, up a bit, left now down a touch.

Cool to see how it shapes up, not a fan of the window/cabin shape but the cockpit will make it one of the best boats to race in akl.

Well that certainly answers the container question, Thanks Zoe.

Sorry to wake you Murky :) There is a new turbo 930 or are you referring to the 3 about to swap over? I could go into a lengthy dissertation as to the merits of 930 V 88's but I think now the international community thinks a 930 is worth knocking off and 88 isn't (that I've seen) I don't think I need too now ;) That's obviously a very tenuous link in to that subject, one may say almost grasping at straws, but it is one I now have and you don't :lol: :lol:

Agree on the price angle, it is 'in there' nicely.

It's in P21 at the moment I think.

Yes Mr Squiddly you can cruise 930's. Our family of 4 have spend probably 6-8 weeks away cruising since we had her. Knot monstrous on room and feels like a lead brick when sailing but as long as you are in 'camping but with a mobile tent' mode you're fine. We have fridge, hot showers, berths for 6 comfortably and the likes, a tad primitive for sure but work well. Cruising is only a state of mind so can be done in anything. The extra little length with the FT10 would make that just a tad nicer though as would the better cockpit layout.

Archived