FT10

SloopJohnB

anybody can view the FT10 while its assembled at Pier 21, Westhaven. The rigging will go on next. Westhaven Marine Brokers are the NZ distributors for the boat and there will be regular updates on the Flying Tiger website as well as on the Flying Tiger facebook page. :thumbup:

Knot to thread drift things further - particularly following such a generous invitation by those involved - but I wonder how it would compare with newer Murray Ross designs such as Blackout, Physical Favours (BOI) and Cool Runnings (Mangonui). I admit that I saw Cool Runnings away in February and thought the boat looked so good that I swam over to find out what it was. :shifty: Photo of the interior of the FT10 reminded me, the downstairs layout is quite similar.

Just 1 question, if Ross 930's are so good, why does everyone want to change it. How many are left in the Class?

No idea and 2 left in Class that still race come Xmas by the looks.

The same thing is happening with 88's on the fringe and 11's as well. Again no idea why and it seems equally crazy... even more so with the 88's considering the bloody good fleet they have.

Just part of the long standing kiwi tradition of boat butchering/tweaking/fiddling I suppose. It's rampant and has been for a long time. Maybe people just need or want a change or maybe some are trying to offset a lack of sailing skills, who knows.

Things going well maybe we'll get a fleet if FT10's and I'd think that due to their international nature people will be more reluctant to so won't tweak those in the years to come. Be nice to see another big fleet out there and at the sharp price the FT10 is one of the best chances I think we've seen for a long while and probably will for years to come.

last i saw it was sitting on the inner end of H at westhaven and sailed along with the first start of the last sunday pons race. showed a bit of speed tight reaching then turned and went home

Seems to be a lot of boat for the $$. Personally I think the hull shape is a bit strange in the forward sections though. Must be sensitive to weight on the bow. Probably goes ok though, will be interested to see if it does.

FT10 went out for a test sail with sailmakers and some finetuning, now waits to see this happening, meanwhile there have been write ups in NZ Herald and there will be in boating NZ too as well as test sails to come with these guys. Please wait and see. :wink:

I don't have anything to do with the FT10, but got to go out on the first sail here. Great boat as far as I could tell, the deck layout and foredeck was easy to work, felt fast on all points of sail. Couldn't get the rudder to let go no matter how hard we tried. We had 5 on board but felt like it would need 7 or 8 in strong winds. Easily quicker than a 930 and probably more like a Y11 if not quicker, but its defiantly a racer/cruiser and not the other way around.

Seems to be a lot of boat for the $$. Personally I think the hull shape is a bit strange in the forward sections though. Must be sensitive to weight on the bow. Probably goes ok though, will be interested to see if it does.

Sailed a new FT 10 last northern hemisphere winter in the US.... It was a fun boat but for NZ I would think the big rig could be an issue as it overpowers quickly in anything north of 13-15knots (and that's with 8 big guys on the rail).

The boat is cheap for the size/speed but part of that stems from really low grade & under-spec'd cordage, jammers, blocks, etc.... We had to replace all halyards, sheets, jammers and blocks. Also it comes with Neil Pryde sails which might be good for windersurfers but we upgraded to Q's quickly.

Don't want to knock the boat as we had good OD racing here with 4 boats locally and 10-12 at regional regattas. Hit the low teens downhill which was good fun. Like all new boats there will be some mods needed to suit local conditions...

Your right about the cordage, I think that is on the list to upgrade on the kiwi boats after our test sail. They have flagged the factory sail option, the sails on the boat here are locally designed. It didn't feel any more overpowered than a T boat.

Sailed a new FT 10 last northern hemisphere winter in the US.... It was a fun boat but for NZ I would think the big rig could be an issue as it overpowers quickly in anything north of 13-15knots (and that's with 8 big guys on the rail).

The boat is cheap for the size/speed but part of that stems from really low grade & under-spec'd cordage, jammers, blocks, etc.... We had to replace all halyards, sheets, jammers and blocks. Also it comes with Neil Pryde sails which might be good for windersurfers but we upgraded to Q's quickly.

Don't want to knock the boat as we had good OD racing here with 4 boats locally and 10-12 at regional regattas. Hit the low teens downhill which was good fun. Like all new boats there will be some mods needed to suit local conditions...

hey murky, yeah I enjoyed sailing the boat, I guess it is a rum racer/wed night racer, not much more that that, and I'm sure could do a Coastal, probably the idea behind it was to have a new class in NZ, but thats a very difficult thing to achieve, especially at the moment. one of the main attractions to me would be the low cost, including the sail program. more detail? well being light it is responsive on the helm, and with an A-sail, you get more fun sailing apparents than wallowing downwind with an S-sail. would I rather have a Melges 32? - sure would but not at over twice the price. you are right about not advancing the debate, and that is why emotive negative comments piss me off, I would rather see a reasoned criticism, using articulate speech and logical comments, otherwise it doesnt reflect well on the character of the person making those comments! anyone wanting a sail let me know, by the way I have no financial or other interest in the boat, I do like to support people willing to try something and have a go!

Archived