Flares

Changed

I could see that he wasn't operating the lever on the bottom through full travel, so that is also something to be aware of.

Are those US style flareguns with the cartridges any safer?

the RNLI in the UK picked up a guy in a raft and he was sat amongst 4 rocket flares that had not gone off as he wasn't operating the lever on the bottom. They were rolling around the bottom of the raft! It's well worth having a flare demonstration.

I think the Epirbs themselves are low cost to make but there are some licensing fee paid to the sattelite owners that add cost?

You could have something there, didn't think about that but it does sort of fit.

But the 121 Epirbs got down to $250. Old tech runout price, but still using the satellites (if in a different way).

I sorta expected the price to have dropped by now once the final rush of sales went through as old system got downgraded.

We should have "national flare day" when we can all set them off in one go! :oops:

Recently aquired a LASER (red) flare. Basically a laser "pointer" that creates a wide beam that can be "fanned" back and forth over the target. Yet to try it out with a distant observer but looks the go! US Coastguard have approved them. CAT1??... yeah right. Knowing my luck the "rescue" boat could end up being a naval patrol boat and I could end up with DOZENS of little red "flares" dancing about my mid-section! :lol:

My 12 year old was on my boat a few years ago and I was pontificating to her on safety aboard etc. I mentioned the flares, and being "fireworks" she asked to have a look at them. We took them out of the yellow plastic thingie and she asked the dreaded question - "how do you set them off?"

I realised that, after owning flares (and regularly checking use by dates etc) for a few years, that I had not the faintest idea how to set them off. I knew which one was for which use (day/night etc) but I'd never looked at the instructions. :oops:

So I did look at them - and I gotta say, they are unreadable (i.e.tiny print) and poorly worded. I ended up typing up some instructions in BIG letters, and in english, getting it laminated (water tight) and inserting it in the yellow container thingy along with a large, long sleeve leather glove - for stopping burns if I light the bloody things wrong even after reading instructions! :lol:

I raise this (despite it making me look more stupid than usual- ) because I've since questioned other boaties who have the flare packs and a fair proportion were like me.

Points are:

1. The bloody things should come with large, readable instructions on them or attached to each flare. If they are expressly for safety in urgent, emergency situations where panic can set in - then this requirement is a no brainer to me. Chances are that when you need them you're in a serious position, it might be dark (can't read them then), there is urgency and lots to do and worry about. The last thing you need is to try and remember how to set the things off. Or, if you are hurt, your 12 year old setting it off ............

2. If you want to be embarrassed get a 12 year old on your boat and pontificate!!!! :lol:

When was the last time, if every, anyone ever saw or used a flare in an emergency situation?

I have never seen or heard of one being used in NZ. The only time I've ever seen a flare was at nightfall off the Cherbourg Peninsular during a RORC race. Two red rockets, about two minutes apart. Got a compass bearing and radio'ed it in. A channel ferry and some other yacht radio'ed in sightings. The fix was confirmed as a French fishing port, and the date confirmed as Basteal Day...

Agree with Terry's post. I've let flares off for work, and you do have to stop and carefully read the instructions. Every other flare you have to hold the other end and pull the same end, or hold the same end and pull the other one, sometimes you have to slide a bit out and push something else. I'd bet a number of compentent sailors would cock it up when they're in a flap in a real emergency.

I really do recommend letting your old ones off for practice, the familiarity will help in the real deal, or even just stopping and having a good read of the instructions. But if you spark an emergency, I said nothing!

I have never seen or heard of one being used in NZ.

Yes absolutely, I know of several in NZ and I have had to let a Rocket off myself for an emergency. I have not had to use any hand flares yet, but have certainly seen them being used along with one smoke for directing a Helicopter re the wind.

I've fired off 3 whites and a big smoke, all in vengeance during 2 occasions. Up in the Pac Island to alert, probably Kava drinking crews, they were about to run me down. Some very loose units up that way sometimes.

Saw a flare or at least the whole crew thought it was, about 1/2 way between Tuts and the Knights. Went out for a look, looked hard, chatted on the radio and heard another boat report seeing something as well. Nothing found and was told all clear by CG after a couple of hours. Never heard if it was a boat in strife or knot. It wasn't a chute as they are pretty damn obvious (and nothing like fireworks by the way) and we were thinking it was a handheld red, if it was a flare.

A year ago this Friday I was reported sinking after some dorks on Arkles Bay beach let a Chute off as I was anchoring up around 9.30pm one friday evening. Took me bit to clear that up but all sorted after a few minutes chat with CG. I still reckon that was an attempted mind game by the WBC Dark Operations Committee ;)

Oh and there was the NYrs at Able Tasman when two commercial boats started getting rid of enough flares to put a Sailor on the Moon. Eventually they set the Able Tasman Park on fire and the entire bay had to be evacuated and the fire fighters spent all night fighting it. Awoke in the morning to find everything on the Land Black and smoldering.

Part of our training as a CG Volunteer in our unit is being able to find the flares, select the type of flare requested and put it in the correct position ready to deploy - blindfolded.

It isn't hard - it just requires a bit of time to become familiar with them.

Thats interesting, I wasn't expecting that,

so three confirmed uses of flares, KM 2, wheels 1, but to match that three confirmed issues caused by flares, a bush fire on NY, a false alarm in Arkles and some sort of reportedly false alarm near the Poor Knights.

To be fair Wheels reporst 'several' incidents where flares have been used in anger in NZ, but currently thats three legit uses verse three 'issues'.. hmmm

I have to add that in one of those incidents (not saying which one) a light Aircraft was almost downed and the possibility of a large more serious rescue could have been required.

KM, will a parachute flare punch through a Cesna wing?? missed it by "that" much. :oops:

I've been involved in a couple.

Gold Cup 10 years or so ago. Itchyfeet broke her rudder and threw a person overboard. They fired a parachute, which we saw and diverted. Ended up picking the person up. I was in a race where a R930 broke its rudder and almost ended up on Mt Maunganui beach. They fired a flare and got towed off by Regardless.

I've always thought a Very pistol type setup would be better than the normal flares. very well priced in USD, compact, supplied in protective case. Availlable in 12 guage or 25mm for a more powerful flare. NOT available in NZ? wonder why? I'm sure many folk would rather have one of these as the operation is fool proof, no burnt hands or hard to read instructions, just load and fire.

The only flare gun I have found in NZ is a metal one sold by RDF costs in excess of $700.00 NZ just for the gun, no stock held though.

Is there a reason why they aren't imported here?

I used to have a pencil flare type gun. It took a small charge much like a .22 bullet. I had a box of flares for it and decided to let them off one 5thNov. Lots were false starters. The thing had a nasty recoil that was more like a very sharp jar than a recoil. It was quite hard to hold onto. But the flares didn't go that far up and were gone in seconds. The same with the pistol flares. They go higher than the little thing, but nothing to slow them down and they only stay up for seconds as against the parachute flare. You have a little longer to hope someone see's the thing.

Alan, parachute flares are available for the Orion flare gun, It depends on which set you purchase, ie, inshore / offshore, lakes etc. have a look at the website, they give height and duration times. You will find most American yachts coming down here have them.

Archived