Flares

Changed

Go to safety at sea they are pretty competitive on price. The last ones we bought from them had the full 2 years on them whereas some of the other suppliers ones were well short of that.

Go to safety at sea they are pretty competitive on price. The last ones we bought from them had the full 2 years on them whereas some of the other suppliers ones were well short of that.

2years?

3years

On a similar note WTF do you do with the mountain of old flares accumulating from years of cat3 racing?

The orange smoke flares were popular with the kids at Guy fawkes nite -(although Im sure the neighbours downwind were not fully enjoyng the experience), it was however a good way to make sure they know how to set them off safely if they ever need to.

Still got plenty of the other ones though and would like to get rid of them.

On a similar note WTF do you do with the mountain of old flares accumulating from years of cat3 racing?

The orange smoke flares were popular with the kids at Guy fawkes nite -(although Im sure the neighbours downwind were not fully enjoyng the experience), it was however a good way to make sure they know how to set them off safely if they ever need to.

The Coast Gaurd will dispose of them.

Bring your old flares down to the Police Maritime Unit, or Harbourmasters Office, both at the Marine Rescue Centre in Mechanics bay. There are disposal available here courtesy of the Police.

I will take all your expired flares for the Fire Service

They use them for signalling to the rescue Helicopters at MVA (motor vehicle accidents) in rural areas

They go through a lot as they are also used for training purposes

You can bring them to the SSANZ briefing on thursday or find us before the start on saturday.

Jon

You can always keep a certain amount of your old flares. As long as you have the required amount of good flares aboard for your Cat # you can also keep the expired ones, no? Leave a couple on your tender, stash a couple more in your kayak... put one in your tramping pack.

Crickey, even handing them out to the ill prepared tinny drivers down at the ramp on a sat morning could save the country $$$ in search costs...

Safety at Sea will both take in your old flares and sell you the new ones.

Our current pricing on Cat 3 is $289 and Cat 4 is $135

We dispose of the old flares to various organisations.

I believe it is worth letting off old h/h flares every year or so - Guy Fawkes, or just because. We test long expired ones occasionally just to see what would happen. It's fair to say things get very funky with the older ones. Therefore our recommendation is " if they look new, keep them for the grab bag or as spares for an extra 3 year cycle", but if there is any sign of aging get them off the boat.

Jono

Crickey, even handing them out to the ill prepared tinny drivers down at the ramp on a sat morning could save the country $$$ in search costs...

While I completely agree, the problem would be that someone would have the pants sued off them if a flare didn't work and someone died, injured, lost at sea for days or anything. Our society is becoming much like America has been for a wee while know. It is better to let someone die on the side of the road, than to try and save their life and make a stuff and, in which they then sue you for all they can.

Ooo that reminds me of a joke I'll go put in the Jokes threads right now.

Today $440.

Also

There is an impending price increase so get in quick before existing stocks run out. Comets go up 1 July, but we haven't heard about Pains Wessex yet.

It is better to let someone die on the side of the road, than to try and save their life and make a stuff and, in which they then sue you for all they can.

Gotta say, I have not seen any evidence of this in NZ, either recently or in the past. Generally lots of awards for people who have a crack at saving someone though. Did you have a specific example in mind.

We see it all the time in sports now. Volunteers being done because they didn't sign post something or warn the runner that stepping over that 200ft drop might result in your death, but only when you reach the sudden stop at the bottom.

The same happens in all sorts of area's now. You think you are helping only to have the thing come back and bite you. In regards to this above idea of flares, you would have some dipstick one day go out and need a flare to work and it either doesn't work, or worse, it misfires and shoots him through the guts like that guy in the UK and it will come back at the good samaritan that set up the free give away flares because the guy that took the thing was not properly warned or something like that.

From that one incident in the UK, they are now trying to ban flares completely over there. That will have a flow on affect for the rest of the world because the cost will go up dues to a huge decrease in volume. And whats more, OSH here would probably follow suit anyway and have flares banned here also. The UK does not see any point in risking ones life with a Flare when there are so many other more reliable means of signalling for help now, like the new GPSEPIRB for instance and the very good VHF network they have over there.

I have fired a few at flare nights when they get rid of all the expired ones.

It was a good learning experience.

The first rocket I fired with a wet hand slid through my hand with the force as it went off and I was left holding the warm end. No damage, but something to be aware of. They have real power!

The guy standing next to me was complaining that none of his were going off, and was dumping them in the bucket of water. I could see that he wasn't operating the lever on the bottom through full travel, so that is also something to be aware of.

Are those US style flareguns with the cartridges any safer?

We see it all the time in sports now. Volunteers being done because they didn't sign post something or warn the runner that stepping over that 200ft drop might result in your death, but only when you reach the sudden stop at the bottom.

The same happens in all sorts of area's now. You think you are helping only to have the thing come back and bite you. In regards to this above idea of flares, you would have some dipstick one day go out and need a flare to work and it either doesn't work, or worse, it misfires and shoots him through the guts like that guy in the UK and it will come back at the good samaritan that set up the free give away flares because the guy that took the thing was not properly warned or something like that.

From that one incident in the UK, they are now trying to ban flares completely over there. That will have a flow on affect for the rest of the world because the cost will go up dues to a huge decrease in volume. And whats more, OSH here would probably follow suit anyway and have flares banned here also. The UK does not see any point in risking ones life with a Flare when there are so many other more reliable means of signalling for help now, like the new GPSEPIRB for instance and the very good VHF network they have over there.

Wheels, Ive got to agree with Murky, and your post doesnt give any examples of this type of thing in NZ. The closest we've had was the cycle race on the Port Hills where a cyclist was killed, but the womans conviction was later overturned on appeal because it was nonsence.

What are the other examples you refer of?

Archived