1/4 Ton Farr 727 sail ability?

SeaEagleii

I've done a lot of sailing in a Farr 727 and I rate it very high for a simple boat to single hand, even in high winds/waves.

Most of what I have done has been crewed harbour racing or 2 handed cruising, but in 30kts plus it became a very competitive boat, even against 1020s etc, while everyone else is getting over powered the lil 727 powers through, and is very controllable in 1-2m+ waves.

Cruising on them is good for 2-3 people max. Think of it much like camping though.

Speeds, can hold 5kts upwind, down wind we have seen 11-12 with a kite, previous owner had it up to 14-15.

Very nice boat to sail and very controllable. Get a lil tiller pilot and I would single hand it any day!

A well found and set up 727 will break after you would I'd expect Sash. I can't see any good reason why one couldn't go offshore.

Great boats that are commonly under rated.

:!: Re offshore in a 727, might pay to check up on your history, Zap capsized off Devonport and we got a launch to right her, and the two separate capsizes in Aussie that resulted in drownings did happen.Just saying....

we loved ours. great little boats. i've heard the history but never any indication of that in ours. how did you put zap over?

cruising is better if you can find one of the raised cabin (horizon) versions.

the only hesitation i would have about rough conditions is how your outboard is setup, and if you can keep the prop in the water when it's really nasty. but that's true of any outboard boat, of course.

:!: Re offshore in a 727, might pay to check up on your history, Zap capsized off Devonport and we got a launch to right her, and the two separate capsizes in Aussie that resulted in drownings did happen.Just saying....

That is only because Zap is under the class weight, hence the lead bricks bolted inside her.

That is only because Zap is under the class weight, hence the lead bricks bolted inside her.

Hey it's only a measly little drum of resin light. Plus we didn't use 1" mahogany for the stairs - or tiller - or anything else :lol:

We tipped it on it's side one day in no breeze - just stood 4 burly men on the rail. The leaked batter acid didn't do the No 1 any good tho, totally delaminated it :problem:

Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but my experience with the little boats tipping over and sinking has always been because water has got down below when they tip. Even broaching these boats can end bad if the hatches are open (J24s would have to be the best at this trick.)

Small boats will always get knocked down quicker and easier than the larger ones, but keep the hatches closed and go hard.

I could think of worse boats to go offshore in. (Sailed wisely of course)

Max Speeds???

We did 10knots under a poled out headsail & reef on a nice surf once between North Head and Torpedeo Wharf, quite stable and easy to steer with a lovely humming vibration. Just caught the wave right!!

Max Wind. After one Simrad we finished under main alone and had problems later in 40+ knots trying to motor to Westhaven (long shaft outboard prop lifting out of water), needed to rehoist double reefed main to make any sort of headway; rather than just going from Navy base to Container wharf several times.

Great Barrier?

Yes the GB Island would be no problem and many have done that already many times. Also many 727's have raced around the gulf and coastal races & voyages.

In any boat, pick the weather and all is good, simple and safe.

:think:

However the GB Reef could be a different story.

Would you want to be in a hurricane / tropical depression in one :?:

I would prefer something bigger IMHO and experience :thumbup:

In Small boats one is knocked around by the waves.

In BIG boats one is knocked around by the gear.

i am amazed how people get worried about going distances in smallish keelers , best you talk to those crazy types who sail 3500 miles in 6.5 m boates , we had our piedies from the merc s to whangaroa via the outside of the barrier never thought twice about it , did the same and more in 1/4 tonners , it comes down to seamanship or seapersonship as we should say these days .

Archived